IGNORED

Limited Run Games

I've mentioned before that I've been buying from LRG since the very beginning, and last week I got my very first shipping error.  I ordered the PS4 version of Plumber's Don't Wear Ties (the game only, no special edition).  I ended up receiving the PC Definitive Edition.  This version is actually quite a bit more expensive ($90 vs the $35 I paid), so I'm not sure if I should bother trying to get them to fix it.  I have no desire to keep the PC version, and I would rather not have the big box on my shelf.  Not sure what I will do with it.  

15 hours ago, avatar! said:

Just heard this --

Screenshot-from-2024-07-25-00-36-09.png

1. How are people developing software so poorly that it keeps getting hacked? I hear about this all the time now.

2. They're required by law to send an email to customers after a cyber attack but I didn't get one and I think I might have an account with them.

3. Why would people need to change their password if they're not storing passwords in raw format? If passwords are being stored hashed, that wouldn't matter.

15 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

1. How are people developing software so poorly that it keeps getting hacked? I hear about this all the time now.

2. They're required by law to send an email to customers after a cyber attack but I didn't get one and I think I might have an account with them.

3. Why would people need to change their password if they're not storing passwords in raw format? If passwords are being stored hashed, that wouldn't matter.

All good questions to which I don't know the answers? You're the expert, what do you think happened? 🙂

I knew they would release this 🙂

Not super excited to be honest because I'm really just interested in the far superior TG editions which were released in Collection 1 & 2, but hey, gotta complete the set right 👾

Screenshot-from-2024-07-25-16-21-40.png

6 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I've mentioned before that I've been buying from LRG since the very beginning, and last week I got my very first shipping error.  I ordered the PS4 version of Plumber's Don't Wear Ties (the game only, no special edition).  I ended up receiving the PC Definitive Edition.  This version is actually quite a bit more expensive ($90 vs the $35 I paid), so I'm not sure if I should bother trying to get them to fix it.  I have no desire to keep the PC version, and I would rather not have the big box on my shelf.  Not sure what I will do with it.  

Sell it and use the money to buy the other version and have some funds left over maybe? I don’t know what the PS4 version goes for so maybe it wouldn’t work out that way but it’s a thought 

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

3 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

1. We don't really know how the hack happened. If they're using Word Press it could be something as simple as a plugin that hasn't been updated. Or what is most common, a high level employee clicked on a link and entered their credentials. Someone will always find an exploit, that's nothing new.

2. I received an email. So maybe you don't have an account with them.

3. This I agree with but they're most likely just saying the password thing to make it look like they're taking proactive steps. The last thing they probably want to deal with is a whole heap of emails asking them if they should change their password or if their password was compromised. Easier to just send out a blanket statement.

1. Probably a reliance on well known third party software and libraries. The more they rely on, and the more popular those libraries are, the more likely it is hackers will try to find and abuse known security holes. Obviously Wordpress and its third party plugins would be a major contender, but there are plenty of potential sources.

The best type of software security is always obscurity. I've been working on web based software distributed among 20,000+ clients, and none of them have ever been hacked. I'm sure they have vulnerabilities (though we do pay professionals to check them thoroughly), but no one will know about them when it's all a closed source proprietary system not used anywhere else.

2. I have an account with them and also did not receive an e-mail

Edited by Sumez

The switch version is up to 7* - which is being released in a day or two.  The switch versions lag behind the ps 4/5 ones.  There is also a Kemco RPG omnibus with 4 games on it for switch.

Both the Japanese and Asia versions have English on them.

Not a bad deal if you like these type of RPGs.

*8 has just been announced.

Edited by Tabonga

15 hours ago, avatar! said:

I wonder if LRG will ever release these?

Just found out these exist! Looks pretty sweet -- Kemco RPG Selection which is apparently 4 RPGs in one package. They're apparently on Volume 12 👾

Screenshot-from-2024-07-26-22-25-23.png

If LRG did it, they would put each game on a separate cartridge 🙃

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

If LRG did it, they would put each game on a separate cartridge 🙃

Haha! well to be fair, LRG often just localizes games released in Japan. That said, I agree some of the releases seem rather crazy -- you know they can include more games in some of those collections! but to be fair, it's nice to have them as a physical release 🙂

• Like 1

Aren't those Kemco RPGs famously really trashy?

I've never played them, so definitely don't take my word for it. It's just what I heard people say all the time - Mass produced formula stuff designed for a quick buck on  the mobile market.

10 hours ago, Sumez said:

I've never played them, so definitely don't take my word for it. It's just what I heard people say all the time - Mass produced formula stuff designed for a quick buck on  the mobile market.

Yeah, they are technically what we would call shovelware. Nothing to write home about. 

54 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Yeah, they are technically what we would call shovelware. Nothing to write home about. 

Kinda like gaming light - the equivalent of eating cotton candy - enjoyable enough if you don't have high expectations.

12 hours ago, Sumez said:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/77746944

This guy rated 15 of them and it looks about 1/2 are mediocre to bleh, but the other half are mediocre to great -- here's his top two --

2.Fernz Gate (9/10): By Exe-Create. This is the ultimate mash-up of all Exe-Create titles. The only thing NOT going for it is the removal of a World Map you can travel on. Other than that, it has all the best gameplay, systems and post-game of any others Exe-Create titles, and the story is also pretty great. Would have been my top spot if Kemco didnt published the next one.

1.Marenian Tavern Story: Patty and the Hungry God (9.5/10): By Rideon. Direct sequel to Adventure Bar Story, where you manage a tavern AND also going through JRPG gameplay. The hybrid of the two genres works really well. You also actually level up by eating, which is crazy in it's own right. If you like the Atelier games, buy this one ASAP!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avatar! said:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/77746944

This guy rated 15 of them and it looks about 1/2 are mediocre to bleh, but the other half are mediocre to great -- here's his top two --

2.Fernz Gate (9/10): By Exe-Create. This is the ultimate mash-up of all Exe-Create titles. The only thing NOT going for it is the removal of a World Map you can travel on. Other than that, it has all the best gameplay, systems and post-game of any others Exe-Create titles, and the story is also pretty great. Would have been my top spot if Kemco didnt published the next one.

1.Marenian Tavern Story: Patty and the Hungry God (9.5/10): By Rideon. Direct sequel to Adventure Bar Story, where you manage a tavern AND also going through JRPG gameplay. The hybrid of the two genres works really well. You also actually level up by eating, which is crazy in it's own right. If you like the Atelier games, buy this one ASAP!

I have only played a few of them but so far they are fairly reminiscent of SNES era games.  So the enjoyment one gets may be dependent on how favorably one looks on that era.  They are certainly not as elaborate and glitzy as current stuff but thet are really not meant to be.

• Like 1

Well a lot of people don't want a slow moving overly glitzy JRPG, they want something more of a throwback so Kemco could fit, just like how people love on Dragon Quest for being largely consistent with a bar set strongly in the SFC/SNES era as well.  Sometimes it's not about going all bloat psycho about it, but keeping an even keel and keeping the player happy with a nice solid story and general set of good elements to work with.  Maybe that's why the Kemco stuff works.  i've never really considered them much fearing they were ehhhh, but if a few really are nice I could see popping them on phone as it would be the most likely shot I'd take to enjoy them as I could do it wherever, even my room casted to my Roku TV as it won't lag up on that sync.  I know this doing FF Pixel Remaster so far.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I personally passed on all of those Kemco games because I have so many "more important" retro JRPGs to get to on the Switch alone (Star Ocean 2, Moon, Live-a-Live, the upcoming Dragon Quest remakes, etc.), that it didn't seem like they would ever feasibly be worth my time.

7 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Whats been improved?

This is just a guess, but possibly:

• All 4 Doom episodes, including They Flesh Consumed
  • Added circle-strafe
  • Performance improvements
  • Monster respawning on Nightmare difficulty
  • Level codes
  • Rumble support via an all-new controller
Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 3:58 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Sell it and use the money to buy the other version and have some funds left over maybe? I don’t know what the PS4 version goes for so maybe it wouldn’t work out that way but it’s a thought 

Update.  I contacted them and they sent me the correct PS4 version immediately and at no cost to me.  They did not request that I send back the incorrect PC version.

• Like 2