IGNORED

Beat every Sega Saturn game - 19/242

Not sure if we get points for double clears but I now have also beat Nights into Dreams. Very fun game, my only complaint is it took me more time to figure out what to do with the exploding mice than the rest of the game combined. They even give a hint card thing that did absolutely nothing to clarify things lol

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Saturn game - 19/242

While taking the old LS-32 for a spin I fired up Strikers for some shmup action and beat it on very easy mode, which is difficulty 3/7. Perhaps it could be considered a middle difficulty though definitely below default. Also just to note I dont use the option menu to get extra lives, just the standard 3. 

Sonic Wing Special is done. What an amazing game. The characters are so cool. Twin Russian girls dressed like St. Basil's Cathedral? Genius! This game feels like a cross between Strikers and Donpachi. The key to winning is using bombs defensively/strategically. Also Volk is kinda OP. Also, theres branching paths, so still lots to explore in the game. After beating it I went back to take another route and ended up going to Mexico and finding aliens in the pyramids and going to the alien world where I was killed by a goop spitting wasp monster. This is a masterpiece lol 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2024 at 4:16 AM, Andykin Skysk8r said:

While taking the old LS-32 for a spin I fired up Strikers for some shmup action and beat it on very easy mode, which is difficulty 3/7. Perhaps it could be considered a middle difficulty though definitely below default. Also just to note I dont use the option menu to get extra lives, just the standard 3. 

If this means anything, modern releases treat difficulty 5/7 as normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Virtua Fighter Kids is done. I grew up with this game and I thought it would be easy, but the last 2 fights the AI is pretty brutal. Surprised we beat it when we were kids. The trick is understanding how the AI cheats, which is basically having perfectly timed combos that it can initiate after you have started an attack animation and cannot avoid it. Defeating this is the same way you defeat someone in a modern fighting game using a cheating program, which is to make them go first and counter. The AI knows how to minimize damage from close range, but as soon as you start moving in and out of different ranges the AI can no longer properly anticipate all the possibilities and their defense becomes mortal. One way they try to mitigate this is by having them pressure you and close distance with instant combos when they get to a range they know, but this in itself creates a weakness, because they become the bull to your matador, and the one thing that beats speed is timing. The most difficult scenario is when you get a grappler(Wolf or Jeffry) in one of the two final fights, since they are tanks who can simply take damage and dish out huge amounts of it. I also beat Dural at the end, who is significantly easier than the VF2 Dural(or maybe I just got lucky).

Edited by Andykin Skysk8r

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Albert Odyssey is done. Great game even if its gameplay and style is a bit outdated for 1996, which is the complaint people typically have of it. Still, it has plenty of personality. Its like if FF was full of Popful Mail type characters and dialogue. The first 90% of the game is really easy then it gets hard AF at the end. The reasons for this are that the bosses all of a sudden just have triple the HP of the earlier bosses, and the game out of nowhere introduces this villain named Aine who, likely unintentionally, is by far the hardest fight of the game. The reason for this is that he is fast and casts spells which increase his speed to the point where he essentially gets two turns instead of one and every turn he either increases his speed more or used a strong magic attack that hurts your whole team. He is one of four tower guardians and the other three are all much easier despite the fact that all three are more significant in terms of storyline and character development. Then the other reason it gets hard at the end is that the last dungeon is a long winding non-linear labyrinth that misdirects you intentionally and has a very high encounter rate and naturally some of the strongest enemies in the game. This is very frustrating and makes the dungeon crawl by very slowly, but the flip side of this is I very quickly gained like 25 levels and the last boss stood zero chance against me. I lost to Aine 3 times I think with grinding between each attempt and the last boss never even took out one of my team members. I didnt even need to use the super powerful spell I just learned because the boss died before I felt like things were truly getting serious. Also minor complaint, the game just dictates which girl you marry and I would have liked to pick. 

Edited by Andykin Skysk8r
  • Like 1