IGNORED

The Collector's Quest Podcast

DefaultGen

On 5/26/2024 at 12:26 AM, T-Pac said:

@DefaultGen and @Johnny ...

Philosophical Question:

If you have one copy of an insert that belongs with several of your CIB games - are they all complete (just not all at the same time)?

[T-Pac]

I have two copies of Marc Ecko's Getting Up on Xbox (one CE) but only one manual. That's the one piece of paperwork I have pulling double time. It's like $8 shipped for another Getting Up manual, who has the money to complete both?

On 5/12/2024 at 12:25 AM, G-type said:

I might have been the one who expressed appreciation for the Oddysey2 box art.

I absolutely love the 70s neon black-art poster aesthetic of the front covers

Screenshot2024-05-12001929.png.b022fff7715da1cbf35809d7c77b1a72.png

I'm late, but count me in on Odyssey 2 boxes: 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Another great episode! The almost four hours flew by for me, I was a little sad when it ended TBH.

I think you were a little too biased towards the NES but at least you owned it and mentioned it many times.

The size of NES carts have a lot of empty space in there and a lot of the artwork is a little bland once you move past the iconic stuff. But having said that, I do think it is one of the best carts.

For me I think OG Game Boy are my favourite carts. Great size, nice artwork that works well with the size and they look nice if you display them facing forward or even in a drawer with letters.

I just found this today and I've listened to a few episodes so far. I'm most interested in anything NES, Atari and variants being discussed. I'm halfway through the Joseph episode right now and I'm really enjoying Joe's knowledge dump. I knew most of it but I had no idea there were stamp codes in the cartridge shell mould inside. Now I need to re-document 700 NES games.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

I just found this today and I've listened to a few episodes so far. I'm most interested in anything NES, Atari and variants being discussed. I'm halfway through the Joseph episode right now and I'm really enjoying Joe's knowledge dump. I knew most of it but I had no idea there were stamp codes in the cartridge shell mould inside. Now I need to re-document 700 NES games.

I actually remember a kid in elementary school who was trying to make a trade of Mega Man, I think, and he was trying to point out that those stamp codes "mean something" and that he had a "rare version" and it was worth more for a trade.

I was not the one making the trade, but I noticed.  I'm sure it was 100% BS back in 1990/91 or whatever year it was, but the fact is, that one event caused me to start paying attention to finer details of items.  Oh the irony if that kids was correct and there turns out to be MM versions with rarer stamps.

Also, I assume this is the digits underneath the lip where cartridge opening, correct? You can see half of one here:

clean-nes-cartridges--clean.jpg

I just finished the Joseph Leo episode, i was my favourite so far. I skipped through some of the others to find parts I was interested in but listened to almost all of the Joseph episode. I feel like I could sit and talk variants with that guy for hours. Nice work, I didn't even know anyone here had a podcast.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brickman said:

Just finished listening to the episode talking about dead genres (no mention of RTS, what the ?). But it was fun to hear Tyler tell the story of missing out on the Famicom golf competition cart knowing that in the future he would get it 🙂 

Really did we not hit RTS? I love bringing up that I think Starcraft 2 will be the best RTS ever made because Starcraft 3 would be a modern Activision/Blizzard mess and SC2 is already perfect. SC2 morphed into a F2P with microtransactions game in the middle of its life, but I’d hate to see how it would turn out if it was built from the ground up with maximum monetization in mind.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it through the last like 3 episodes since my phone broke and it took awhile to get to.  

It's rather old but regarding the VTech discussion I consider it to fall into the video game market as well. Heck, Tom Kalinske famously left Sega US to go to LeapFrog next, and it was right around the time LeapFrog started to become a major player in that area and was eventually bought by VTech. 

Also, I know most people shit on the Pico, but the idea was solid even if the execution kind of flopped in the US.  They used repurposed MegaDrive tech to make something that was almost too novel for the market at the time.  You only need to look at the massive success of the Pico in Japan to realize it was clearly workable depending on the market.  They were still making Pico games in Japan into like 2005.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting used to the 2 hours episodes, then this 4 hours monstrosity on the N64 dropped.  It took me awhile to get through but was surprisingly fun. 

I learned a bit more about some of the obscure stuff so that was fun.  I didn't expect anyone to mention the iQue, that's for sure.  I have a Comboy 64 and some Korean games myself but that's probably the limit of my import oddities.  

I would be remiss if I didn't comment on the Gameshark though.  I didn't have many N64 games (I was a rental kid a lot), but I had a Gameshark and it brought me crazy amounts of fun messing with stuff.  Printing out sheets of codes from GameFaqs and entering them just to see what they did or didn't do.  One of my favorite things with Goldeneye and OoT was turning on the noclip options so you could walk through all sorts of different walls and see how stuff was built in the worlds.  

• Like 1

@DefaultGen March 1st 1997 because I know you actually care 😉 Great episode on the N64, although I would have liked to hear a bit more of a deeper dive into the only library that matters (the Japanese library). I'm surprised you didn't even mention Mario no Photopi! People need to get those Mario games.

With N64 down this means we're one step closer to that inevitable GBA episode!

P.S happy belated birthday.

Regarding the most recent episode.

Here is an example of the monochrome Atari boxes you mentioned. This is actually the only one Wata has graded for this title, they call it the "Made In Hong Kong" variant.

IMG20240819213235.jpg.27854c15db91c536c4f8e04cbc85b942.jpg

And here is one you missed. At some point, Atari just threw in the towel and gave up completely. This is Donkey Kong for Atari 2600 with just black text printed on a white sticker.

IMG20240819213300.jpg.81858835b6f28e4dd5bcc276d1241b46.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 3

I'm a little confused on your comments on the Sears Telegames games for Atari 2600. You had mentioned Black Jack was the rarest one, is this the one you meant?

IMG20240821135624.jpg.c9f17531be46da785856d66baa368815.jpg

Then you mentioned this game was being sold on eBay and the only listing you could find was one for $800. I just checked and there seem to be a bunch in the $30 - $40 range. Are these the same?

Screenshot_2024-08-21-13-57-04-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg.ee88fd0b8661c091f83891498357085f.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...