IGNORED

Nintendo Power experts needed - trying to find specific ad

LostLevel83

There is an ad included in an edition of Nintendo Power that features the statement “reading could save your life”. I saw it years ago. I would like to find out what issue or issues this ad ran in. 

My wife and I recently (finally) got to purchase our first home and we have a room dedicated to our hobbies. I would love to find a copy of that ad to frame. Her hobby is books and mine is video games. It’s dorky, but fun.

Anyone know this? Anyone have a beat up copy of the magazine they want to sell/donate? Any info is appreciated!

Ok now I'm determined to figure this out because now I remember that too.  Any other vague idea what year, maybe something covered in the issue, more about how the ad may have looked?  I've got 1-76 and a few others, just don't relish taking a day flipping each page one by one carefully looking for it.

Nintendo Power didn't have ads other than their rare ones for their own games, but usually contests, or the pop out inserts for the power supplies catalog.  The more I think about it, what I think you were into perhaps were game inserts and not NP itself.

I have a memory of inserts that went into the carts that changed every few times a year which pitched people to signing up TO Nintendo Power, not within Nintendo Power.

It would make more sense to have a small 4x6 card in a box you can mail in to sign up having one detachable fold having those words "reading this will save your life" (because our guides have all those nice pictures, tips, descriptions, passwords, hidden codes, etc.)

I'm trying, just not certain I want to go thumbing through years of them. 🙂  I'm trying various word salad choices on google image search.  I've seen other inserts that elude you need this buy now, but not your life depends on it level.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Nintendo Power didn't have ads other than their rare ones for their own games, but usually contests, or the pop out inserts for the power supplies catalog.  The more I think about it, what I think you were into perhaps were game inserts and not NP itself.

It was an ad for Nintendo Power. They were on the inside snd back covers all the time.

• Like 2

I'll take your word for it, I just need to go grab a few issues, whatever year it was in there.  I'm guessing the pre-SNES issues.

If this is a no fly zone I'll remove it or a mod can, but a 1988-2004 cluster of NP mags were all individually scanned as PDF and put on the archive, if someone wants, I'm starting to thumb i bit, forgot I book marked this (all the fun clubs too in another.)

https://archive.org/details/NintendoPower1988-2004/Nintendo Power Issue 001 (July-August 1988)/mode/2up

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@LostLevel83 Sorry I forgot about this for a bit! I also feel like I remember the phrase. I could not find the ad 🫤 And I didn't read other gaming magazines back in the day, so I wouldn't think it was in GamePro or EGM. Anyway here are the subscription come-on ads I did find in my NP collection, which is #1-67 and a couple in the 80s. 

edit: Unfortunately the image host site screwed up the chronological order

https://postimg.cc/gallery/hg7zM5V

Edited by Link
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 7:21 PM, Link said:

@LostLevel83 Sorry I forgot about this for a bit! I also feel like I remember the phrase. I could not find the ad 🫤 And I didn't read other gaming magazines back in the day, so I wouldn't think it was in GamePro or EGM. Anyway here are the subscription come-on ads I did find in my NP collection, which is #1-67 and a couple in the 80s. 

edit: Unfortunately the image host site screwed up the chronological order

https://postimg.cc/gallery/hg7zM5V

Thank you for that. Very cool!

In my head, the ad was on a single page. I’ve also tried looking through archive.org with no success yet.

• Like 1