IGNORED

Lottery is over $1 Billion (again)

Editorials Team · Posted

That's so much money. I like watching people like Bill Gates and used-to-be Elon Musk, figuring out ways to solve enormous world problems. It would be cool to do that kind of thing.

But first I'd grab a copy of Zas for Game Boy. Maybe even a Shantae.

But I guess the smart thing would be to first figure out how to make that money last longer; it would be EZPZ to let my imagination run wild and waste a whole bunch of it. It's a common tale for lottery winners and professional actors/athletes to find themselves broke after a shockingly short time.

But yes obviously I'd go for a full collection of every game from every region, with an insane home setup. Obviously.

8 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I’m just here to be the asshole that says you’re not going to actually get $1 billion, because of taxes of course and even less if you do the lump sum payment. 

Who cares?  Even just a few million would be more than most of us would even know what to do with.

And BTW, DON'T do the lump sum...do the 20-30 year thing.  I promise you, nearly everyone who was hit by the lottery curse (won big jackpot and blew it on stupid crap like drugs) took the lump sum.  See this way, even if you are stupid with the first year's worth, you still got the remaining 19-29 years.

17 minutes ago, Estil said:

Who cares?  Even just a few million would be more than most of us would even know what to do with.

And BTW, DON'T do the lump sum...do the 20-30 year thing.  I promise you, nearly everyone who was hit by the lottery curse (won big jackpot and blew it on stupid crap like drugs) took the lump sum.  See this way, even if you are stupid with the first year's worth, you still got the remaining 19-29 years.

Even if you get an annuity and are impatient or stupid later on, you can find any number of companies that will take over your annuity in return for an extremely discounted NPV lump sum.

18 hours ago, Gloves said:

With $1b I would start a franchise of restaurants that provide all food for free, with each order having a maximum "value" of $5-10.

Ignoring operating costs this would give us about 100 years of serving 2700 meals per day. 

Based on that math we could cap the meals per day to, say, 2000. This would leave us $7000 per day for operating costs, which would be far more than enough (and 2k meals per day is also again unrealistically large by my measure). 

I'd pay myself out $200k/year as the owner/operator and provide more than competitive wages to the employees.

This is all napkin math, so please don't pick apart the numbers, suffice it to say that $1b is an unreasonably difficult amount of money to even comprehend as an individual. So the core here is "restaurant with free food for all".

Most Canadian thing I’ve ever heard.

I would hope you’d buy a couple bikes too.

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Even if you get an annuity and are impatient or stupid later on, you can find any number of companies that will take over your annuity in return for an extremely discounted NPV lump sum.

Yeah but who'd be stupid enough to do something like that...?

You guys may think I'm crazy but I'd probably be perfectly content in my current apt even if I somehow did win multi-millions or something.  I think it'd be more fun to be one of those stealth millionaires that you'd never know by looking at them or their modest dwellings how loaded they are 🙂

PS: I don't drive so I guess it wouldn't do any good to have a shiny black Cadillac.  Even Stringbean (who otherwise was a big time miser) splurged on at least that.

1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

It's crazy to think that different states have different rules regarding the lottery. There are states where you could win and remain anonymous. Brilliant.

I think I’d have to contact a lawyer and see if I could move to a state with that option before cashing it in. I’m not sure how that works but I don’t think NC has that rule and my wife and I would 100% want it to be anonymous.