IGNORED

Game Debate #126: Super Mario Bros. 2

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

Posted (edited)

I'm gonna copy and paste what I said in the Super Mario Bros. 3 debate thread since I ended up talking about both games:

"I go back and forth over which one I love more between Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3. I know Super Mario Bros. 2 is technically not a SMB game but they have adopted elements of it into the franchise.

Both games are a 10 to me. I had a great time with Super Mario World, but it didn't hit the same highs for me as SMB 2 and 3. I remember how obsessed I was with getting a copy of SMB 2 to play and how happy I was when it happened. I loved every moment of playing it. SMB 3 is a game I have replayed time and time again

Two classics. Two 10s"

Edited by Astro Bot
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 11:13 AM, docile tapeworm said:

@Link disagrees. Meaning he believes we bring solid points.

😎👍

Got 'em.

On 7/7/2024 at 9:08 PM, Tanooki said:

About as solid of a point you can get from a perfect sphere

Listen... We didn't TELL AstroBot to come in here and revive this thread from nearly two years ago to unknowingly help build the case "against" SMB2.... but they did it anyways! 🤷‍♂️

I can't help be proud. 🥲

For reference, @Astro Bot, this is what we are referring to.... It's a good read!!

I mean... part of the SMB2 discussion is had as a result of the title discussion. 😆

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I know that you didn't but I mean all you can do in the end is push back against disinformation and while you can't cure stupid, you can try and prevent its spread. 🙂

There is no "disinformation" here. 🙈 

We are just talking about how we each "feel" about SMB2 USA. It's okay for you to "feel" differently. 🤗

Skinny and I just "feel" that our "feelings" are backed with historical facts and public knowledge.

Doki Doki Panic was not created as the sequel to Super Mario Bros.

It's really that simple.... and @Astro Bot seems to agree with their new comment.... 🤷‍♂️

They (Shigeru/Nintendo awesome team) created a sequel for SMB and RELEASED IT in Japan.

It was (is) hard as fuck and got turned down for a North American release.

Tanooki.... you know this.

After that it (SMB2 being a "real" SMB game) becomes an argument of semantics.... so to say that we are spreading "disinformation" is definitely FALSE.

Edited by AirVillain
clarity...

It's 100% disinformation, anyone peddling this nonsense I feel bad for they've chugged that much kool-aid they still cling to it when even Nintendo has said as much, the designers, even in interviews going as far as saying it's a favorite of the series.  I don't feel differently, you're not the normal one here.  And the more I keep posting on this, you'll just keep doubling down on your video game equivalent of flat earth theory which is insane.

I never once said DDP was made as a sequel to SMB.  The designers have said more than once in the past the engine was designed as a vertical test for a game, a Mario game, but the tech wasn't there and it got shelved, a basic very very alpha Mario style game.  The FujiTV deal...and end game DDP was born, but the game was further developed back into a Mario game because the FDS game is pure kaizo nonsense and they blocked it so SMB2 Mario Madness was born, co-developed with SMB3 more or less, and then later put out as SMB USA for them after the fact.  If you want to recraft shit, play flat earth type word pasta games that's cool, you can believe that and that's fine, just believe what is wrong if you're happy and fine with that, but don't con other people into the trap as it's not right.

The Japan version of Super Mario 2 was deemed too hard by Nintendo of America and also it wasn’t different enough from the first game; so the reasoning behind SMB2 in America is two fold. 

SMB2 America is basically a hack or mod by today’s standards of Doki Doki Panic so it shouldn’t be considered an original Mario Bros game in my opinion anyways. It’s still the 5th best selling game on the NES so its popularity speaks for itself. 

As for myself and skinny and AirVillian calling it fake Mario or whatever, it’s partially true and partially trolling lmao

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2

edit: Doki Doki Panic also wasn’t shelved it was released for FDS

Edited by a3quit4s

I don't care if it's a Super Mario game or not, I love it LOL. To me, the fact that they took many of its characters and elements and incorporated it into the overall franchise makes it qualify as a real Super Mario game to me.  Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic changed the Super Mario bros. franchise. I love the game because it WASN'T like the first game. It felt fresh and different. At the same time, I love SMB 3 for taking the first game's formula and really evolving it. I love both games for different reasons, but ultimately find both of them to be awesome! I've sunk many hours into both games. 

So many fun surprises and secrets in both games, I think that has a lot to do with why I love them. That sense of wonder both games gave me. I really liked the bosses in SMB 2 and the dreamlike quality of the game, and I like all of the cool new elements that SMB 3 added to the first game's formula. Plus, SMB 3 just felt like a much BIGGER game with a whole big world for players to discover. 

16 minutes ago, Astro Bot said:

I don't care if it's a Super Mario game or not, I love it LOL. To me, the fact that they took many of its characters and elements and incorporated it into the overall franchise makes it qualify as a real Super Mario game to me.  Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic changed the Super Mario bros. franchise. I love the game because it WASN'T like the first game. It felt fresh and different. At the same time, I love SMB 3 for taking the first game's formula and really evolving it. I love both games for different reasons, but ultimately find both of them to be awesome! I've sunk many hours into both games. 

So many fun surprises and secrets in both games, I think that has a lot to do with why I love them. That sense of wonder both games gave me. I really liked the bosses in SMB 2 and the dreamlike quality of the game, and I like all of the cool new elements that SMB 3 added to the first game's formula. Plus, SMB 3 just felt like a much BIGGER game with a whole big world for players to discover. 

Don’t get me wrong I like SMB2 but SMB3 is the goat and it isn’t even up for debate lmao