IGNORED

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Mario_Friend1982

35 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Who stays until the end of the credits?

Yeah true. I normally don’t but had heard there was an additional scene at the end.

34 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Is this any good?  Is it scary?  Trying to determine if I should take 5 year old.  

It’s a very average film that rides on Easter eggs and a flimsy story. If your kid isn’t begging to see it then I’d just wait for streaming.

I don’t have kids but I’d be surprised if kids would find it scary, even Bowser. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

I don’t have kids but I’d be surprised if kids would find it scary, even Bowser. 

My wife screamed out loud for the whole theatre to hear when Mario and Luigi got eaten by the Piranha Plant during the final battle! 🤣

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Is this any good?  Is it scary?  Trying to determine if I should take 5 year old.  

I'm pretty sure NOT taking your 5 year old to see this movie in theatres counts as child abuse.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, OptOut said:

My wife screamed out loud for the whole theatre to hear when Mario and Luigi got eaten by the Piranha Plant during the final battle! 🤣

I'm pretty sure NOT taking your 5 year old to see this movie in theatres counts as child abuse.

Oh yeah, it’s bad.  My wife fainted 3 times and I heard in one of the showings they had to call the cops due to mass hysteria!  This might as well be called Psycho 2!

But in all seriousness, it’s pretty mild.  My daughter is 12 but very sensitive.  Of course that was worse when she was 5 years old and couldn’t easily rationalize or understand certain circumstances in films.  Even if she were 5 today, I wouldn’t have a problem showing her this film.

Of course, Bowser has his “intense” moments because the plot is… obvious-ish, but unless she’s the type of kid that can only hang with a film like Milo and Otis (which even THAT film had Otis getting lost by falling into a stream, IIRC) then this might not be the movie for her.  But I think the vast majority of young kids can watch this without any issue.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RH said:

a film like Milo and Otis (which even THAT film had Otis getting lost by falling into a stream, IIRC)

Dude, have you heard the backstory of that film? It's really fucked up.

Don't look into it unless you want your day ruined.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, RH said:

Oh yeah, it’s bad.  My wife fainted 3 times and I heard in one of the showings they had to call the cops due to mass hysteria!  This might as well be called Psycho 2!

But in all seriousness, it’s pretty mild.  My daughter is 12 but very sensitive.  Of course that was worse when she was 5 years old and couldn’t easily rationalize or understand certain circumstances in films.  Even if she were 5 today, I wouldn’t have a problem showing her this film.

Of course, Bowser has his “intense” moments because the plot is… obvious-ish, but unless she’s the type of kid that can only hang with a film like Milo and Otis (which even THAT film had Otis getting lost by falling into a stream, IIRC) then this might not be the movie for her.  But I think the vast majority of young kids can watch this without any issue.

Yeah he gets freaked out pretty easily.  It’s an issue we’re trying to work on but I don’t want him to feel left out if all the other kids have seen it.  

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Dude, have you heard the backstory of that film? It's really fucked up.

Don't look into it unless you want your day ruined.

Better or worse than All Dogs Go to Heaven?

edit: wow, tough call. Bad in a very different way.

Edited by Link
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I took my six year old and three year old and both seemed to enjoy it. There are a couple spooky/intense moments, but both of them did great. Three is probably a bit young (although mine didn't have any problems), but five is perfect.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 6:34 AM, Hammerfestus said:

It’s average.  Lacking in story and character development, but action and nostalgia is good enough.

I took my 4 year old niece and she really enjoyed it and wanted to watch it “forever.”

I believe Bowser threatens to “kill” some people which is usually a word they avoid in this type of film.  There is also a spooky sequence where Luigi is chased by some skeletons.  Overall it is very mild, I’ve seen worse in G rated Disney films.

The film is very colorful and short.  If they can sit in a theater for 90 mins they should be entertained.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/17/2023 at 11:09 AM, Tanooki said:

Because they are jack black drones with no good taste in music.  That piece of horrible, very out of place, not just horrible but quite largely just cringy.  Why that guy feels the need to do his lame rock shtick in anything he does is beyond played out into just annoying now.  He did the role well otherwise, but I'm of a mind that when the movie comes to disc, I'll hit the skip button over that minute of ear f'ing abuse (and if I get the CD, that's the ONE track I will NOT MP3 for my phone.)

Since those clowns said they only will reserve the Mario Rap for vinyl which is just warped logic, I'll throw that into the gap.

Looks like the filmmakers kind of tricked Jack Black into doing the song, haha. 

Says he was like a year into recording the voice when they asked him about doing the song... 

The first time was a little odd, but I fully get it now. I think the song is pretty funny.

The video with Jack Black is hilarious too. 

I'll be honest... the first time I watched it I kinda thought it was stupid that Bowser was such a "wimp". But after thinking about it, it made sense and is very logical for the movie. 

I am an old man compared the target demographic of this movie. I wanted a Batman Begins-esque story and a badass Bowser... but... OF COURSE it's not going to be that. This movie was made for FAMILIES... so you can't have Boswer out killing and maiming people.... 

So all that considered.... I'm down with the song, it's hilarious.

And re: The plot... The movie was so popular there's plenty of time for the princess to get kidnapped now... in fact... that'll probably be the sequel?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AirVillain said:

And re: The plot... The movie was so popular there's plenty of time for the princess to get kidnapped now... in fact... that'll probably be the sequel?

Nah, damsels in distress aren't allowed in modern movies, or didn't you get the memo... 😉

If this is to follow the way the rest of Hollywood has gone lately, the next movie will be a spinoff featuring Peach as the main protagonist who is a strong independent woman who ain't got no time for no man... unless she's saving his sorry ass!  Preach!!!

EDIT - Actually, they should probably do a Metroid movie next, as it's the one plotline they've got from their big IP franchises that falls within the rules of current Hollywood fare without bastardizing the original source material.  The only real issue is that Metroid is essentially a ripoff of Alien...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

On 4/23/2023 at 7:28 AM, Brickman said:

You didn’t stay until the end of the credits? They did a Marvel type reveal for the next movie.

I did and saw the 

Spoiler

Yoshi egg thing but I didn’t really think much of that being a thing for a sequel. 

4 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

An Aliens style Metroid movie would be amazing. Moreso Aliens than Alien. Just based on the nature of Samus in general.

I think an Aliens-style movie would be a good start to introduce the franchise to the masses, then release an Alien-style prequel to expand the lore.

On 4/25/2023 at 8:00 AM, Tanooki said:

And given the recent track record for Alien movies, Metroid would be very welcome doing it right.

Pokémon, Mario and Zelda are the big moneymakers. We already got a Pokémon and Mario movie.

I’m betting the next movie will be Zelda.

• Like 1

Probably, I wouldn't really doubt it in the slightest. I'd be more curious if they'd do an original story like previous games fitting something into that jacked up timeline or would they perhaps take one of their most traditional popular titles and make it a living 90-120min long adventure.  Link to the Past would be a top one as would Ocarina, even the original if for any reason because it's so open to random context and not being all that confined.  Either of the Gamecube titles would work too.