IGNORED

Decoupling the NES from the Famicom

fcgamer

Its not like they pretend the Virtual Boy never existed. In Tomodachi Life on 3DS there are Miis who value the Virtual Boy as the most important object in history. Even as recently as Luigi's Mansion 3, Professor E.Gadd invents the "Virtual Boo" and cracks a joke at how "They'll be flying off store shelves!"

Those are jokes that fans of the company will appreciate. In a PR statement meant to talk up the company, they'd probably leave out one of their biggest flops.

Edited by PekoponTAS

ALSO by the way, can we decouple Pokemon Yellow from the Game Boy library? For some reason I seem to remember someone arguing about that pretty intensely back on NintendoAge. I think it might have been some weird Canadian that had the exact same username, birthday and DNA as me, but was definitely NOT me!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

So from this whole discussion the conclusion, as given by Nintendo, is as follows: The Famicom and NES are the same, and the Virtual Boy is a lie. Is that correct? Trying to make sure I understand things correctly.

They probably want to forget that monstrosity ever existed haha.

In all seriousness, they do have some stuff on their website.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/vue/index.html (looks like it was made when the VB was released haha)

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/hardware/vol1/index2.html (Interview talking about the VB with Iwata mentioning the release date)

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I remember the guy who tried to exclude the Aladdin Deck Enhancer games from the NES full set, aside from Dizzy since it was exclusive to the ADE.

A valid argument can be made for that, as the ADE was essentially a hardware add-on with compatible software, much like the FDS, 32X, N64DD, etc.  That said, the Aladdin was technically the 90% of a cartridge that doesn't change between games, so an Aladdin with a cartridge inserted is functionally no different than any other NES cart.  It's a functional grey area that doesn't really have a right answer, as valid arguments can be made either way, unlike the topic at hand.

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Like Color a Dinosaur, right?

Color a Dinosaur doesn't require extra hardware to make it function properly.  Miracle Piano wasn't marketed as a game, it was marketed as a MIDI keyboard with software and adapters to run on various systems.  Nintendo may simply view the entire package as being a peripheral rather than a game, which would explain why it was not included on their list.  It's not revisionist history, it's simply another viewpoint.  It's not like they claim it doesn't exist at all.

2 hours ago, PekoponTAS said:

ALSO by the way, can we decouple Pokemon Yellow from the Game Boy library? For some reason I seem to remember someone arguing about that pretty intensely back on NintendoAge. I think it might have been some weird Canadian that had the exact same username, birthday and DNA as me, but was definitely NOT me!

That would be silly. It was branded on the box as a Game Boy title, not a Game Boy Color title.  It has extra GBC functionality, but lacks the GBC branding that would make it a GBC release.  If anything, a better argument would be to argue that GBC carts that aren't "Only for Game Boy Color" should be included on the OG Game Boy list instead, as the cart codes designate them as GB carts (DMG) rather than GBC carts (CGB).  But given that they were branded as GBC carts on the box, that would ultimately be a fool's argument as well. 

• Like 1

I mean I stopped caring ages ago, but the point of me even bringing it up again was more a subtle jab at the thread in general that it's better to pick your battles and just not care about something so specific. Ten pages to argue something so trivial isn't really something one should waste their time on.

Edited by PekoponTAS
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Splain said:

But branding doesn't change what something IS. Interesting thought about including black carts with DMG releases, but the core argument remains that if Pokemon Yellow weren't physically yellow-colored, it would be black, not grey.

Why is it that Pokémon Yellow is the only game where this is mentioned?  The box says "Game Boy," not "Game Boy Color." Literally every other coloured GB cart aside from Pokémon Red and Blue and the DK Land trilogy are labeled as "Game Boy Color" on the packaging.  Nobody questions the other 5 colored Game Boy carts, so why this one solitary exception?  

13 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Actually Caltron was released on Famicom too, just not in Japan. The discussion was NES versus (Japanese) Famicom, if we want to open it up to Famiclone stuff as well, well then basically 98% of the exclusives were released in Famiclone regions back in the day.

Oh. My mistake. I was thinking it was just Famicom in general vs NES in general. I wouldn't exactly call Asder "Famiclone" though because it was a multi by the original creators of the games, so I'd put it more in line with Action 52. Would you call FDS games released directly for NES but not for FC as points towards the NES library? I remember a different user said something to the effect of "All FDS games are FC game but not all FC games are FDS games" and I think I like that mentality

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Why is it that Pokémon Yellow is the only game where this is mentioned?  The box says "Game Boy," not "Game Boy Color." Literally every other coloured GB cart aside from Pokémon Red and Blue and the DK Land trilogy are labeled as "Game Boy Color" on the packaging.  Nobody questions the other 5 colored Game Boy carts, so why this one solitary exception?  

Because Yellow is the only one that has a GBC ROM header. It was built to use GBC hardware, no matter how poorly. You could write Sega Genesis on the box, it would still be a GBC game.

I'm not checking that list, but was the racermate and that sort on the Nintendo list too?  That would fall into the tool/application vs game reasoning.

Damn their eyes for de-listing the Virtual Boy.  July/August 1995 damnit, when the N64 was supposed to arrive, so well, more pressure to sweep that under the rug, despite the fact it exists, they acknowledge it even today still in games and re-released games too.  Whatever...whoever is the controlling party writes (let's be honest) re-writes the history, and that's a timeless fact of reality.  Nintendo would fall into this class too.  Going back to SE which they de-licensed, buried and turned into WCTM for their also acquired/buried/renamed to power pad to bundle with it.  Nintendo always has done sketch things burying stuff, hell they do it now best they can in a now very internet wide world with that crap WiiU.  They can't erase it, so they just bury it by taking all the games that should have sold like crack and stuffing them on Switch so they can, then ignoring the stinker largely ever existed.  They'll let time ghost it, outside of the memories of a few who clung to it as collectors.

That Castlevania box art is all kinds of awesome.

@Gaia Gensouki Ugh...don't remind me, such MORONS, they only golden opportunity they had and they blew it.  It didn't have to be a REMIX cart though it could have given the NES got one, a download like the NES rehash as 3D Classics would have been perfect...yet NOPE.

I got an Anbernic 351p locally a month or two back, I put my VB library on there, fuck Nintendo.  It looks fantastic, runs 100% right.  Good for a lazy moment not wanting to pull out one of the two fixed up VBs I've got.

37 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'm not checking that list, but was the racermate and that sort on the Nintendo list too?  That would fall into the tool/application vs game reasoning.

It wouldn't have been on their list for the fact that it wasn't ever a licensed product to begin with.  However, if it had, I suspect that it would fall into the same category that the Mountain Bike Rally/Speed Racer stuff for SNES would be in.

5 hours ago, Splain said:

Because Yellow is the only one that has a GBC ROM header. It was built to use GBC hardware, no matter how poorly. You could write Sega Genesis on the box, it would still be a GBC game.

Funny, when I use this handy dandy utility I found, and boot up the ROM, it shows SGB functionality and a GBC license code...exactly the same result when I boot up Oddworld Adventures and The Rugrats movie, the two Game Boy games released prior to Pokemon Yellow, yet booting up Tetris DX, Dragon Warrior Monsters, and Quest: Brian's Journey, they all show the GBC box checked off.  Also, just to make sure, I checked Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland, the first GBC release in Japan and released over a year prior to Pokemon Yellow in the US, and sure shit, it still checks as GBC compatible.  This shows that the game was designed to take advantage of the Super Game Boy and not the GBC.  It's the last US Game Boy release, plain and simple. 

Editorials Team · Posted
29 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Funny, when I use this handy dandy utility I found, and boot up the ROM, it shows SGB functionality and a GBC license code...exactly the same result when I boot up Oddworld Adventures and The Rugrats movie, the two Game Boy games released prior to Pokemon Yellow, yet booting up Tetris DX, Dragon Warrior Monsters, and Quest: Brian's Journey, they all show the GBC box checked off.  Also, just to make sure, I checked Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland, the first GBC release in Japan and released over a year prior to Pokemon Yellow in the US, and sure shit, it still checks as GBC compatible.  This shows that the game was designed to take advantage of the Super Game Boy and not the GBC.  It's the last US Game Boy release, plain and simple. 

I can't speak for that utility, but it's definitely not telling the whole story. Go ahead and pop Yellow into a GBC and try to select a color palette on boot. You know, like you can with every gray cart, including Oddworld and Rugrats. With Yellow you cannot; it forces a color palette that can't be changed, which is a behavior exhibited only by games built specifically to use GBC hardware, seen in 100% of black carts and 0% of gray carts. If I was wrong to use the term "ROM header" then I apologize. But Yellow was built for the GBC.