IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

20 minutes ago, Hybrid said:

Wow what a link I wouldn't go wasting money on it it could very well be just a board.. what are the board specs on a 5 screw punch out? Maybe one of the current owners can help 

Yeah I don’t know what’s up with eBay’s link they used to have a share button for a shortened link but I don’t see it on mobile and refuse to download apps lol

On 6/23/2024 at 10:18 AM, Hybrid said:

Wow what a link I wouldn't go wasting money on it it could very well be just a board.. what are the board specs on a 5 screw punch out? Maybe one of the current owners can help 

I could be wrong, but even if the chips match a five screw, it could still mean nothing. I mean, considering the minute amount of 5 screw Punch Outs, they would've probably produced 3 screws with the same date ranges.

Just a thought.

Posted (edited)

With what few examples are out there what information is actually known about them is there a board difference dates on chips product version has any of this been documented?

As a matter of fact let's document everything we can about the rare variants even the misprints so anyone who owns something on the list lets get some info on these

Edited by Hybrid
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

That was one of my concerns with that copy, but the info on these are hard to come by and there's probably some subtle which is why I'm trying to document anything and everything about these.

@guitarzombieif you have any of the various things on this list anyway I can get various board pics and info

Edited by Hybrid

8 hours ago, Hybrid said:

That was one of my concerns with that copy, but the info on these are hard to come by and there's probably some subtle which is why I'm trying to document anything and everything about these.

@guitarzombieif you have any of the various things on this list anyway I can get various board pics and info

What happened to your old list of people with these documented variants?  I have 5 screw Jaws, Alpha, MTPO, Star Force and Mega Man.  Also ALL three screw Donkey Kong Jr Maths are refurbs because they were never reprinted in 87.  All date codes show 1986.  You should prob move those to the rare variants.

21 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

What happened to your old list of people with these documented variants?  I have 5 screw Jaws, Alpha, MTPO, Star Force and Mega Man.  Also ALL three screw Donkey Kong Jr Maths are refurbs because they were never reprinted in 87.  All date codes show 1986.  You should prob move those to the rare variants.

He didn't bring anything over from NA, so now people think this list is the pop for these games.

On 6/29/2024 at 7:49 AM, Ferris Bueller said:

He didn't bring anything over from NA, so now people think this list is the pop for these games.

Yeah I didn't bring anything over from the old list, do you have anything on the list that I can get board pics of?

I'm not always fully aware of the fine details of some of these things, but from what I recall, the rare Playtronics Purple Mega Man 6 is kind of rare.  I see these pop up from time to time on eBay in one of my searches that would catch some of them, but this is the first time I've seen a CIB unit and, honestly, it looks pretty complete and even has an original hand-written receipt.

Not sure if anyone wants this but it seems priced fair for a CIB unit if these carts-alone are still worth multiple thousands of dollars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335465947504

8 hours ago, RH said:

I'm not always fully aware of the fine details of some of these things, but from what I recall, the rare Playtronics Purple Mega Man 6 is kind of rare.  I see these pop up from time to time on eBay in one of my searches that would catch some of them, but this is the first time I've seen a CIB unit and, honestly, it looks pretty complete and even has an original hand-written receipt.

Not sure if anyone wants this but it seems priced fair for a CIB unit if these carts-alone are still worth multiple thousands of dollars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335465947504

It’s crazy how the Playtronic version has gotten so expensive compared to the original purple border US version. I think it’s far more common than the purple US but the pricing would suggest otherwise 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

It’s crazy how the Playtronic version has gotten so expensive compared to the original purple border US version. I think it’s far more common than the purple US but the pricing would suggest otherwise 

Maybe that's what I was thinking of.  Maybe this is over priced since no one's bid on it.  I just saw purple mega man 6 and I thought I'd throw it out there.  

Hello, I’m new here and I’ve made an amazing discovery that I wish to share. I have just discovered that my copy of Megaman is the rare “5-screw” variant. I had no idea how much it was worth, it’s just been sitting in a drawer for years and years…but if anyone is interested in adding this one to their collection I’m looking to part ways with it! 

IMG_1835.jpeg

IMG_1834.jpeg

Administrator · Posted
29 minutes ago, Ackalack said:

Hello, I’m new here and I’ve made an amazing discovery that I wish to share. I have just discovered that my copy of Megaman is the rare “5-screw” variant. I had no idea how much it was worth, it’s just been sitting in a drawer for years and years…but if anyone is interested in adding this one to their collection I’m looking to part ways with it! 

IMG_1835.jpeg

IMG_1834.jpeg

FYI if you're actively looking to sell, we have a buy/sell section of the forum where you're more likely to find traction: Selling - Video Game Sage

On 7/2/2024 at 7:17 PM, phart010 said:

Calling it the "US" version is a bit  of a misnomer.  The US version is actually the Nintendo released version.  I'm about 99% confident all purple border MM6s were released outside the US.  But the places that use NTSC (like Chile), still have "USA" codes on them.  Think of USA as "NTSC".

10 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Calling it the "US" version is a bit  of a misnomer.  The US version is actually the Nintendo released version.  I'm about 99% confident all purple border MM6s were released outside the US.  But the places that use NTSC (like Chile), still have "USA" codes on them.  Think of USA as "NTSC".

I don’t think it was intended to be a Chile release from the beginning. The first run was probably intended to be a US release that Capcom cancelled after production had already started. So Capcom had this small quantity of games on hand that they didn’t intend to distribute to US retailers and they dumped them onto a liquidator which found a home for them in the South American market.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I don’t think it was intended to be a Chile release from the beginning. The first run was probably intended to be a US release that Capcom cancelled after production had already started. So Capcom had this small quantity of games on hand that they didn’t intend to distribute to US retailers and they dumped them onto a liquidator which found a home for them in the South American market.

Not that it was a Chile release only but that they were intending to release MM6 outside the US, in countries that are a little 'behind' with the NES, while in the states, the US was well into the SNES.  Nintendo then just picked up the slack to actually release it in the US, cuz why not.  Although I have no idea why there's no PAL Mega Man 6 release.

Anyway, my point is that it really isn't an official US variant because it was never released in the US.  If it had been, we'd have seen way more copies of it and they all wouldn't be in Chile.  It sure is an official Capcom release.  The purple border PRG chips are also the earliest prints, from late 93 IIRC.  So this makes sense that they were printing their own for outside the US and Nintendo wanted it, and they ate the costs for printing it, which is why there are more MM6s than 5s.  Nintendo paid for more prints, while Capcom paid to print 5, and the purple border 6s.

26 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Not that it was a Chile release only but that they were intending to release MM6 outside the US, in countries that are a little 'behind' with the NES, while in the states, the US was well into the SNES.  Nintendo then just picked up the slack to actually release it in the US, cuz why not.  Although I have no idea why there's no PAL Mega Man 6 release.

Anyway, my point is that it really isn't an official US variant because it was never released in the US.  If it had been, we'd have seen way more copies of it and they all wouldn't be in Chile.  It sure is an official Capcom release.  The purple border PRG chips are also the earliest prints, from late 93 IIRC.  So this makes sense that they were printing their own for outside the US and Nintendo wanted it, and they ate the costs for printing it, which is why there are more MM6s than 5s.  Nintendo paid for more prints, while Capcom paid to print 5, and the purple border 6s.

From a business standpoint there probably would have been no financial justification for publishers to be releasing NES games in South America. NES was already the minority console compared to Sega, and even then the market was overrun by cheap pirated NES games. Publishing  costs would have been prohibitively expensive to enter that market, so I would bet that all the official stuff that ended up down there may have originally been intended for other more developed markets and ended up becoming unwanted for one reason or another.