IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

6 hours ago, phart010 said:

From a business standpoint there probably would have been no financial justification for publishers to be releasing NES games in South America. NES was already the minority console compared to Sega, and even then the market was overrun by cheap pirated NES games. Publishing  costs would have been prohibitively expensive to enter that market, so I would bet that all the official stuff that ended up down there may have originally been intended for other more developed markets and ended up becoming unwanted for one reason or another.

Still unsure.  I know a lot of the other rare NES Taito games got shipped there, and that IS true about Sega, but NTSC is relatively 'rare' around the world.  Looking at this map, you only get Mexico, and the West Coast of South America.  Japan and those islands were using famicom obviously.  So I dunno, but I still strongly feel it was never officially released in the US as we'd see more of them, especially in comparison to other other rare variants.

I could meet you half way and say that perhaps Capcom printed a small run intending to release it in a bunch of places, including the US, but Nintendo took over and did their own US printing, moving all those other Capcom units outside the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#/media/File:PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg

22 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Still unsure.  I know a lot of the other rare NES Taito games got shipped there, and that IS true about Sega, but NTSC is relatively 'rare' around the world.  Looking at this map, you only get Mexico, and the West Coast of South America.  Japan and those islands were using famicom obviously.  So I dunno, but I still strongly feel it was never officially released in the US as we'd see more of them, especially in comparison to other other rare variants.

I could meet you half way and say that perhaps Capcom printed a small run intending to release it in a bunch of places, including the US, but Nintendo took over and did their own US printing, moving all those other Capcom units outside the US.

I am not saying the late releases like MM6 or Taito games were ever released to retailers in the US. I am just saying that they were probably intended/planned for the US market but then the plan to distribute these games was cancelled after some quantity of games had already entered production.

In my mind, the fact that they were made for the US market makes them US releases. But there’s different ways people like to group things. For some people,  it’s not a US release unless it hit retail shelves in the US. That is a technical argument, and I can respect that as part of a classification system if you want to know which games are considered retail releases. But I personally don’t believe these games were intended for the Latin American market and justified production to serve those markets. Sending the games to those markets was just a cheap and easy way for publishers to cut their losses

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

That map is a little misleading, as Brazil (who got the bulk of the Purple Capcom MM6s) is not PAL for games - see here: https://forums.nesdev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3511 - they use NTSC.

I say they got the bulk because so many of them have the Playtronic/Portuguese back sticker - which was only a Brazilian thing.

Every single NES game released by Playtronic in Brazil has the same board as their US counterpart - just usually a different label or later date codes.

Here is my Ninja Gaiden III:
image.png.36893d844d325944aedfafe1b998fd14.png

5 hours ago, DK said:

That map is a little misleading, as Brazil (who got the bulk of the Purple Capcom MM6s) is not PAL for games - see here: https://forums.nesdev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3511 - they use NTSC.

I say they got the bulk because so many of them have the Playtronic/Portuguese back sticker - which was only a Brazilian thing.

Every single NES game released by Playtronic in Brazil has the same board as their US counterpart - just usually a different label or later date codes.

Here is my Ninja Gaiden III:
image.png.36893d844d325944aedfafe1b998fd14.png

My Megaman 6 purple has the Playtronic sticker on the back, but it is applied on top of the regular US version back sticker. This tells me they basically got a bunch of US version games and “repackaged” them for the Brazil market 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just blocked someone from this forum who will remain nameless.  Don't know if they'll retaliate, but if you hear rumors spreading about wyansas or Will Hartley, please take them with a grain of salt.  Happy hunting!

does kinda look like that.  blocked them not for anything really malicious he or I did.  Caught them in several lies and I don't want to deal with them anymore, so wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to retaliate by lying some more.  Does look like that @Tyree_Cooper though you're right.

should clarify this wasn't a scammer, just someone i caught in one too many lies and decided to cut loose.  this is the last that time i'll hijack the thread, and sorry about this.  if you want to ask any questions, please reach out to me directly. thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

See what you can find on Internet Archive.

Oddly enough it wasn't on the list so I went to eBay and found 5 on the first page while eBay may not be the best judge of rarity if it was all that rare it wouldn't show up so often 

On 9/24/2024 at 3:05 AM, Hybrid said:

Oddly enough it wasn't on the list so I went to eBay and found 5 on the first page while eBay may not be the best judge of rarity if it was all that rare it wouldn't show up so often 

I would argue that @ThePhleo figuring out one was rarer than the other lead to more copies being put up on eBay for higher prices. When no one knew, they were hard to find. Same with when I figured out Goonies II (5 Screw) was rarer back in the day and shared on NA. Price shot up, more copies got posted.

On 7/23/2024 at 12:15 AM, wyansas said:

I just blocked someone from this forum who will remain nameless.  Don't know if they'll retaliate, but if you hear rumors spreading about wyansas or Will Hartley, please take them with a grain of salt.  Happy hunting!

How did you block someone if you're not a moderator?