IGNORED

Game Debate #146: Destiny

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Edit:  I voted and answered without looking at Reed's first post, so my brain thought "Journey" versus Destiny.

I had a fair amount of fun with the original Destiny, although I think it went a bit too far at times with the lack of opacity with certain puzzles and mechanics required to even get through the mission you were on for my taste.  I think the hardest part about the game was coming up with a group of people to consistently play with, as a lot of the later content pretty much requires a team to do it, even if a handful of amazing gamers have somehow managed it solo.  The game definitely had a lot of interesting lore, and generally did a good job fleshing it out via various expansions, updates, etc.  I never did graduate to the second game, though, as it seemed to have much less of an adventure-y feel than the first and felt much more about running and gunning and competing with stuff like Halo than remaining immersed in its own universe.

Edited by darkchylde28

One of those weird situations where the gameplay is really good but everything else feels hallow.

The gunplay and powers are a lot of fun and you get thrown into some frantic firefights.  But the lack of coherent story, gated gear progression, and mmo-lite elements really drag it down.

For as much time as I spent with the first one, I didn’t even bother with the sequel.

9/10. I'm going to ignore your descriptions for ratings and rate as if the game was brand new since the experience now is nothing like on launch. One of the only games to nail that amazing feeling of movement and gunplay in a sic-fi setting that Halo revolutionized. Also one of the first games to do live-service really, really well. It was tons of fun with friends with a great loot system. Can't comment on how it evolved or how the sequel plays, but I had a blast with this one for 6 months or so after launch.

1 hour ago, MagusSmurf said:

Came with my PS3, became the only game I've ever sold out of complete disinterest.

Not that it would change your opinion, but in fairness to the game, the PS3 and 360 versions were fairly garbage compared to the PS4/XBONE/PC versions due to the additional horsepower available to run the game properly.