• Seen it, loved it
    • Seen it, liked it
    • Seen it... *meh*
    • Seen it, didn't like it
    • Seen it, hated it
    • Never seen it, gonna
    • Never seen it, not gonna

Administrator · Posted

Interstella 5555 Review by Popculture-Patron on DeviantArtInterstella 5555 Review by Popculture-Patron on DeviantArtimage.png

Listen man, I get it - it's Anime. But I went pretty non-traditional here. It's not JUST anime, and it's not Ghibli (bless 'em). It's fuckin' DAFT PUNK!

It's an album, it's a movie, it's a masterpiece. I get chills every time.

Interstella 5555 was pretty damn high profile when it came out. Daft Punk probably being at the height of their mainstream popularity.

It's just that it's more of a feature length music video than an actual movie, so it's understandable people don't talk that much about it anymore.

Edited by Sumez

13 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Another musical?  Sheesh. 🙄

I think this might be next weeks pick for Gloves.

image.png.53ae7ffed11aefaf532f55ae8407cb28.png

Seen it, loved it.

I love pretty much everything Daft Punk put out but this for me is like peak Daft Punk, absolutely amazing songs one after another. One More Time and Veridis Quo are probably my favourite tracks in the movie. In regards to the movie, I love the melding of the two mediums, it's not something I would have thought would have come about but it works really well. It's also done in my favourite anime drawing style, 70's/80's.

I think you really have to be into anime and Daft Punk to really appreciate the beauty of this one.

Events Team · Posted

I watched it last night.  It was alright.  Cool animation to be sure.  I'm just not a big DP fan. 😏  They got some hits but I don't need a whole 60+ minute movie.  I think the whole thing works a little better as just a couple music videos. As it stands it's a little tedious.

It was kinda like a Smurfs/Silver Hawks mash up.  Smurfette never looked hotter though. 🔥😘

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Interstella 5555 was pretty damn high profile when it came out. Daft Punk probably being at the height of their mainstream popularity.

It's just that it's more of a feature length music video than an actual movie, so it's understandable people don't talk that much about it anymore.

Yeah. I just looked it up on IMDB and immediately recognized the preview clip from the Daft Punk video.

I like Daft Punk but I never paid attention to this movie.

did find the YouTube video and I bounced around to get a feel for the movie.  I appreciate the art style.  It feels like a hi def version of late 80s/early 90s anime, which is what I prefer the most since it's more what I'm familiar with from my childhood.  So that's cool.

But other than that, I just don't like it.  Daft Punk is part of the problem but the real issue is that the whole thing feels like someone took an anime film and just overlayed their music over it.  I mean, that's what is but it would have been nice if parts of the music and vocals were integrated directly into the animation.  If it was, I didn't catch it for the 10 minutes I bounced around.

So, really this is more of a "meh" in my opinion but since I didn't watch the full video, and I have no desire too, I'm going to keep my vote where it is--never seen it, never will.

51 minutes ago, RH said:

Daft Punk is part of the problem but the real issue is that the whole thing feels like someone took an anime film and just overlayed their music over it.

Hard disagree on this part. The music is directly related to the action on screen. Sure, they aren't lip-syncing the lyrics, but the words of the music is related to the action happening on screen for every song. They sync up perfectly, albeit a little bit abstractly.

33 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Hard disagree on this part. The music is directly related to the action on screen. Sure, they aren't lip-syncing the lyrics, but the words of the music is related to the action happening on screen for every song. They sync up perfectly, albeit a little bit abstractly.

Well, I admit I'm a unique case.  I have auditory processing problems I've had my whole life and I only catch about 10-50% of the words with any lyrics in any given song (depending on the mixing and nature of the music) so I have to listen hard to most music to even have a general clue of what they are saying.  It is easier if there are visuals of someone singing, even in the case of it being cartoons because my mind can map motion to sound pretty well.  But if they are generally singing about what's going on, then I'd need to read over  a lyrics sheet.

Regardless, for me it didn't feel like they synced but to a normal person, I assume it makes more sense.  And there are cases where music and cartoons/anime do match up well, even in my case.  But in regards to what's going on here, there's a difference between lyrics matching what you see vs. vocals actually syncing to lip/action movements and I just didn't see that as I jumped around the video.

Administrator · Posted

It's about the emotions evoked for the most part. The bulk of the movie lacks lyrics entirely aside from a few songs. I'll always take the opportunity to re-watch it so I can re-review and give my thoughts per song.

@RH I will say that jumping around is exactly the worst way you could possibly take in this film, it's a full-on story with zero words, you need to pay attention to grasp the music-to-scene. I can explain and tell the story a bit, but it's music, you really benefit most from seeing like "oh yeah, the music does get tense at just the right moment there, it's cool how the song and the visuals flow together".

Spoiler

One More Time: The opening introduces us to a planet/people who are generally peaceful and united by music. It's a part of their culture, it's huge to them, they don't just have concert halls, they have this giant stage a'la Zion in The Matrix. They have security folks and the like, but in general they're all quite laid back, jamming along to the music. It then introduces us to the antagonists, people who have clearly (bizarrely, anime-style) built their infrastructure on stealing musician aliens to turn human and make money with (as far as we can tell at this point). It's very anime, but music is central to everything in the story and it's made very clear in the first 10 minutes of the film using this very upbeat music. They just wanna celebrate and dance, so free.

Aerodynamic: The music gets more tense as the abduction takes place. Action is happening, fights ensue. Note how the visuals and music align perfectly when the guitarist is attempting to escape - he's alone, and the music moves into the guitar solo section, it's the only instrument being played for a time. The antagonists start the process of turning the tide on his escape attempt and the tense audio joins back in; the resistance and the attackers are intermingling, until the song ends with a telltale bell toll. The audio is quieted as the planet wakes to realize their musicians have been taken, it's a bit more somber as they all come to, and then another bell toll on another significant action - a security worker presses a button which sends a signal out to an individual in space, leading us into the next song.

Digital Love: Upbeat, lovey-dovey. Dude's out here in space just jammin' out while he... vacuums the outside of his spaceship shaped like a guitar. Have I mentioned that the film has a central music theme? It's a song about love, dude's a clear huge fanboy of... I guess the only musical band on the entire planet lol (anime!), and especially of the female of the band, cuz fuck it why not it's a 90s anime. But OH NO! A distress signal reaches him - he gets news of what's happened. There's a slight interlude and we get to the point where he blasts off to rescue them, the music turns toward tension slightly again as we get into the enemy ship. We're then treated to some psychedelic ambience as he warpspeeds his way toward them. I'll be honest and say this song is one of the less aligned to the story, but I still think it's a banger of a song, and the beats still hit the points in the story; it's quiet when it needs to be, tense when it needs to be, some very subtle bits. Anyway, dude lands on earth and we transition...

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger: I mean come on, who doesn't love this song? It's industrial, very factory - just like the visuals representing it. I'm always reminded watching this of another Daft Punk banger Technologic, it has a similar vibe. Anywho, the musicians are shown being transformed into their human versions, their memories erased and replaced with human versions of the same events (with their original memories hilariously saved to floppy disk). The lyrics of the song, such as they are, align well to that these musicians are about to be monetized the fuck out of; this system is shown to have been perfected to create the perfect pop group, the perfect pair of glasses for each of them, outfits, an aligned style, all designed to provide the best output for their evil corporate overlord.

Crescendolls: The band name alludes to their very nature - they're puppets performing a literal song and dance. Also this song kicks ass, one of my favourites in the film. We very quickly see the rise of the Crescendolls as they meticulously and (sadly) unenthusiastically (robotically) put together a bunch of hits. They're suddenly famous, doing talk shows, and they all have stupid names (Lol Baryl). It's unsubtle in that they literally never smile, but man those jams! 

Nightvision: Crackling thunder, rain, sadness. Remember what I said about Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger? They've been worked to the bone! They were never happy with this gig certainly, but now it's really gettin' to 'em. "Why are we still here? Just to suffer?". Ok, that was a quote from Metal Gear Solid V, but you get it. Story progression though, the potential saviour from Digital Love is becloaked and now aware of what's happened to the band.

Superheroes: Marching drums, BEATS, they're in concert and man those fans are cute lol. The little girl dressed as Stella with the ice cream is maybe the cutest thing since Spy X Family, or was it the other way around? Anyway, another fuckin' BANGER of a song, gets my head bobbin'. Shit's gotten orchestral, they're clearly a HUGE deal now on Earth. Our hero (heh) arrives with a happy little machine which removes the brain washing from the band members, but he's unable to save Stella (turns out his thingy doesn't work through... a dude's arm being kinda in the way). Again, the music beats with the action, a bullet shot activates the end of the song, the body guard guys are shown to be Terminators lol oh yeah it's an anime.

It's at this point that I realized it was the middle of the work day and watching Interstella 5555 probably isn't gonna get my work done.

Watch the damn movie!

• Haha 1