IGNORED

NBA Thread

Makar

23 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Don't act like the Celtics have played full strength teams. Come on now.

Can only play the teams on the bracket. Have they caught good luck with opposing teams injuries? Sure. But they also lost Porzingis early on and happen to be built deep enough to cruise to the finals without him.

Besides, they are the home team. I'm gonna cheer them on!

I want to root for the Mavs and Luka, but Kyrie Irving is stupid.... so I'm conflicted.

You guys watched this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21448508/

As a basketball fan I know that the "superstars" are treated differently in today's game.... and as a Raptors fan, always knew the refs did whatever the fuck they wanted and certain player/teams are ref'd differently, but watching this, and hearing it from the people on the inside was nuts.

21 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Everytime I watch a basketball game I’m constantly yelling “hammer him!” At the tv.

it’s literally just a shooting competition. The “defense” is just for the show of it all.

guy will drop 40 and never take a hard foul. SMH disgusting 

You might enjoy hockey

• Like 1

On 6/8/2024 at 10:46 PM, docile tapeworm said:

Everytime I watch a basketball game I’m constantly yelling “hammer him!” At the tv.

it’s literally just a shooting competition. The “defense” is just for the show of it all.

guy will drop 40 and never take a hard foul. SMH disgusting 

You prob don't care, but some thoughts:

I wouldn't say this is really fair to the sport. Yeah, the recent advances in analytics and strategy give an advantage to offenses. It also doesn't help that recent (dumb) rule changes have widened the gap because the NBA believes that more scoring == more $$. I think it's similar to the pitching vs hitting dynamic in baseball in that pitchers will always have the upper hand because they control the game. Like pitchers, offenses in the NBA run the plays and set the pace of play. Like batters, defenses are mostly forced to counter what the other team throws at them, but that's just the nature of the game.

Good defense is still very much valued, and there are players that will never make the leap (to being a higher-tier player) because a huge part of their game is lacking over what a replacement would provide on defense. Also worth noting, the Celtics are currently smoking the Mavs in the Finals in large part due to their defense. It's still an important part of the game.

On 6/9/2024 at 7:24 PM, Makar said:

You might enjoy hockey

I tried to watch because panthers. I couldn’t get into it. I like the idea of the sport but being born and raised on an island….ice…skating….wacking the little puck around……nah.

On 6/10/2024 at 12:31 AM, ChTe said:

You prob don't care, but some thoughts:

I wouldn't say this is really fair to the sport. Yeah, the recent advances in analytics and strategy give an advantage to offenses. It also doesn't help that recent (dumb) rule changes have widened the gap because the NBA believes that more scoring == more $$. I think it's similar to the pitching vs hitting dynamic in baseball in that pitchers will always have the upper hand because they control the game. Like pitchers, offenses in the NBA run the plays and set the pace of play. Like batters, defenses are mostly forced to counter what the other team throws at them, but that's just the nature of the game.

Good defense is still very much valued, and there are players that will never make the leap (to being a higher-tier player) because a huge part of their game is lacking over what a replacement would provide on defense. Also worth noting, the Celtics are currently smoking the Mavs in the Finals in large part due to their defense. It's still an important part of the game.

It’s just boring to me that a fantastic offensive player is allowed so much unhindered freedom to preform…….”hammer him!”

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1

I had no clue that Boston was this good. They are dismantling Dallas and shook off that late run to twist the knife. All without KP. It's awesome to watch the Jays ascend to the highest heights where Tatum made first team All NBA 3 consecutive years and we now debate if he's even the best player on the team!

I'm happy to see that Kyrie appears to be less of a knucklehead now than when he was here. He seems much more mature on Dallas than when was here saying things like I hope to have my jersey hanging from the rafters, etc. Perhaps he is finding happiness. It still feels amazing to squash him again in the playoffs.

One more win to go boys! Finish this!

• 1 month later...