IGNORED

8 bit chip tunes ultimate phenomenon! Nothing but masterpieces! A dr wilys castle production!

docile tapeworm

You can’t even decide!  

13 members have voted

1. 1. 1

2. 2. 2

• Nax nasty
    • Isolated warrior
  3. 3. 3

4. 4. 4

1). Cobra Triangle's sound is pretty chill, but I gotta pick the cooler more badass Abadox sound.

2). Astyanax, easily. Very medieval fantasy evocative. This Isolated Warrior song sounds dull and blaring.

3). Starship Hector. Although I think this was a weak choice from what's in Crystalis and there are songs that would fare better.

4). I'm a little shocked that Twin Cobra and Strider came out the same year. Strider is intricate and quick and energetic. Twin Cobra sounds like an some early Famicom game that didn't make it to NES. I guess Twin Cobra has older roots. I don't recall ever playing it. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 9:47 PM, Link said:

1). Cobra Triangle's sound is pretty chill, but I gotta pick the cooler more badass Abadox sound.

2). Astyanax, easily. Very medieval fantasy evocative. This Isolated Warrior song sounds dull and blaring.

3). Starship Hector. Although I think this was a weak choice from what's in Crystalis and there are songs that would fare better.

4). I'm a little shocked that Twin Cobra and Strider came out the same year. Strider is intricate and quick and energetic. Twin Cobra sounds like a some early Famicom game that didn't make it to NES. I guess Twin Cobra has older roots. I don't recall ever playing it. 

1. Agree. The abadox tune is sweet!

2. Oh man I really like the iso warrior tune. Perhaps it loses a bit of feeling being separated from the context of the fulfillment of reaching the end of the game and the animated silhouette of the protagonist as you read the last bit of storyline.

3. not sure if you mean starship is a weak tune or if crytalis is. Or if both songs are. Or if you think one or both of the songs shouldn’t have been used.

4. The strider tune is killer! But the twin cobra tune, even with the simple sounds just gets you going! 

7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

3. not sure if you mean starship is a weak tune or if crytalis is. Or if both songs are. Or if you think one or both of the songs shouldn’t have been used.

I like the Starship song. The Crystslis tune is weak and most of the music in that game is much better. imo

• Wow! 1

15 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

You post a better one here if you got it! 

Aw, dude, I think a lot of them! But! I appreciate your appreciation of this game. I am not gonna call it a "hidden gem" 🙄 but I do wish I had known about it when I was a kid and I do think it deserves more recognition and could have had good sequels. Action RPG might be my absolute favorite genre, but it's tough to say that when there's only one well-known franchise to really represent it. 

Anyway, regarding the Crystalis soundtrack, yeah I think this game has a lot of great music and the game itself is a good pick to talk about music overall. Personally I would have gone for a lot of tracks before that one. Some of those are listed below and there are even more, but these are my favorites.

https://youtu.be/stcc-z4zcfk

The Opening (0:00)
Fields(3:10)
Earth Cave (4:52)
Ocean Waves (13:42)
Tower in the Sky (20:50)

Leaf Town isn't quite there for me, it's not bad but like I said, the Hector song is really exciting for me, and this particular Crystalis song is not. But the game has others that are.