IGNORED

Movie Debate #135: Beetlejuice

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

39 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@RH I think you're starting to give @Bearcat-Doug a run for the money with most "never, never" votes 😆

Lol, maybe.  I use to be into horror/creepy stuff as a kid but I'm not any more.  I actually think I might have seen about half of this film because I remember parts, but not a lot.  I just know it's not for me.

A couple of weeks ago I watched Tremors after your movie debate on it and that's about the closest I'd get to a traditional horror film that I'd be willing to watch and enjoy.

5 hours ago, RH said:

Lol, maybe.  I use to be into horror/creepy stuff as a kid but I'm not any more.  I actually think I might have seen about half of this film because I remember parts, but not a lot.  I just know it's not for me.

A couple of weeks ago I watched Tremors after your movie debate on it and that's about the closest I'd get to a traditional horror film that I'd be willing to watch and enjoy.

The horror aspect is secondary to the humor in both films - especially Beetlejuice - while Tremors might work with less humor Beetlejuice couldn't.

I actually just watched this on UHD the other day after not having seen it in many years, and it's still fantastic.

I saw it in the theater when it came out, and it blew my young mind.  Watching it now as an adult, it's striking how casually death is handled.  Tim Burton's vision for Beetlejuice made death palatable, even hilarious.  I kept cracking up at the football player who keeps telling his "coach" that he doesn't think they survived the plane crash.  Ordinarily... the death of a high school football team wouldn't ever be funny, but there you go!  And the football team is only a very minor side story.

The "Day-O" scene is fucking hilarious and I still love Winona Ryder to this day because of this movie (and Edward Scissorhands).  Great score by Danny Elfman too.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 4:19 PM, RH said:

I don’t think Ive ever really heard anyone call Beetlejuice a horror movie. Beetlejuice is basically a kids movie if it weren’t for 1 “Fuck” and a handful of suggestive jokes. Even then we show this to 5 and 6 year old niece and nephews of ours

And Tremors a horror movie? Does that make Jurassic Park a horror movie too? 

What you consider horror blows my mind a bit

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

On 8/15/2023 at 2:04 PM, Tabonga said:

For horror comedies it doesn't get much better.   I wish there had been more scenes of the afterlife - minor quibble.  If ever a movie cried for  a decent sequel this is it.  A solid 9.

It's supposed to be getting a sequel next fall. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beetlejuice_2

15 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I don’t think Ive ever really heard anyone call Beetlejuice a horror movie. Beetlejuice is basically a kids movie if it weren’t for 1 “Fuck” and a handful of suggestive jokes. Even then we show this to 5 and 6 year old niece and nephews of ours

And Tremors a horror movie? Does that make Jurassic Park a horror movie too? 

What you consider horror blows my mind a bit

I wouldn't call it horror, but it is creepy and in a "spiritual" genre which I steer clear of.

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

So ghosts are your limit?

Ghost, spiritual or demonic. Yes, I'm not personally interested in most of that stuff.  I'm not saying I won't watch a film with a ghost or anything, but I don't like for that stuff to be the focus of the film.

• Confused 1

Events Team · Posted

Burton's best film alongside Pee Wee's Big Adventure with honorable mentions to Batman and Mars Attacks.

So original and probably Keaton and Ryder best roles.  (Hell yeah I'm hot for Lydia!)  Tack on the Harry Belafonte and the animated series too, and you've got yourself a solid 10.  

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Agree 1