IGNORED

2024 Nintendo World Championship (NES Edition)

Deadeye

4 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

This was the only reason I bought this thing lol. When was the last time Nintendo made an nes cartridge shell? I'm sure someone will put a PCB in it.PXL_20240720_150053777.jpg.6d9a59949366c51a5c8a281f8c5358aa.jpg

The stand that comes with it is solid as well, I’m using as like a book end for my switch shelf now lol

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Love 1

So like i'm curious about this since I avoided it but I was listening to a video while in the car and it was more about the FC side of the pond release in Japan.

The game at the core annoyingly isn't so much about the challenges of the old, but it's basically a speed runners wet dream with essentially NES/FC Remix 1+2 copied challenges and more new ones mixed in as well... Yes?

And if that's the case I also heard they late game start to get actually challening, and having some meat on them where they're not just like 3-15second bs, but some actual work.  That work, Legendary mode?  What I caught was in Legendary Mode they'll like dump the entire game of SMB1 or Zelda1 at your feet, but then you have a ticking clock to see if you can off one in like 10min or less, or an hour or something, but it is the full fledge game and you can keep going at it despite if you fail the clock or not.  Is this true?

I'm far more inclined to care at all about buying this if the access to the entire game is there and it's not just some wario ware level quick few second bursts of something to do for ranking online alone.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

So like i'm curious about this since I avoided it but I was listening to a video while in the car and it was more about the FC side of the pond release in Japan.

The game at the core annoyingly isn't so much about the challenges of the old, but it's basically a speed runners wet dream with essentially NES/FC Remix 1+2 copied challenges and more new ones mixed in as well... Yes?

And if that's the case I also heard they late game start to get actually challening, and having some meat on them where they're not just like 3-15second bs, but some actual work.  That work, Legendary mode?  What I caught was in Legendary Mode they'll like dump the entire game of SMB1 or Zelda1 at your feet, but then you have a ticking clock to see if you can off one in like 10min or less, or an hour or something, but it is the full fledge game and you can keep going at it despite if you fail the clock or not.  Is this true?

I'm far more inclined to care at all about buying this if the access to the entire game is there and it's not just some wario ware level quick few second bursts of something to do for ranking online alone.

Understood - I like the Rare Replay method where they included the full game but gave you some tasks and challenges to complete if you wanted to.  I wish more compilations would handle it like RR.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, wongojack said:

Understood - I like the Rare Replay method where they included the full game but gave you some tasks and challenges to complete if you wanted to.  I wish more compilations would handle it like RR.

Rare Replay is so excellent, top tier content. 

• Like 1

Would be nice if Rare Replay hit like Steam, I'd consider that.  Seems this one the more yet I dig isn't full games in legendary, it's still parts, or at least some are parts.  I don't see a value here in the standard edition because it's just a B tier lesser NES(FC) Remix 1+2 bundle the WiiU got or 3DS whichever it was having less content to enjoy.  As much as that set of art cards and gold cart are enticing to me, they're not $60 tier goodies on their own. 😞

I need to just work through what I got and the few finds I still have, and when it sets in I'll go back and grab Paper Mario's gamecube re-release/update Switch got instead.  I never got close to having time to finish that or enjoy it around GC flakiness so that's a bonus.

20 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Would be nice if Rare Replay hit like Steam, I'd consider that.  Seems this one the more yet I dig isn't full games in legendary, it's still parts, or at least some are parts.  I don't see a value here in the standard edition because it's just a B tier lesser NES(FC) Remix 1+2 bundle the WiiU got or 3DS whichever it was having less content to enjoy.  As much as that set of art cards and gold cart are enticing to me, they're not $60 tier goodies on their own. 😞

I need to just work through what I got and the few finds I still have, and when it sets in I'll go back and grab Paper Mario's gamecube re-release/update Switch got instead.  I never got close to having time to finish that or enjoy it around GC flakiness so that's a bonus.

Not sure if you got your answer from your question further up on this page - most of the challenges are super quick < 15 seconds or so. Even the legendaries are short from the ones I have done. The entire version of the games isn’t included but if you intend to play the online version of the game you need Nintendo Switch Online anyways which comes with the NES app as a separate download and I’m pretty sure all 13 are on that already. Nintendo Switch online has a lot of value for $20 a year for those that don’t already have physical carts. 

Edited by a3quit4s

24 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Not sure if you got your answer from your question further up on this page - most of the challenges are super quick < 15 seconds or so. Even the legendaries are short from the ones I have done. The entire version of the games isn’t included but if you intend to play the online version of the game you need Nintendo Switch Online anyways which comes with the NES app as a separate download and I’m pretty sure all 13 are on that already. Nintendo Switch online has a lot of value for $20 a year for those that don’t already have physical carts. 

A mix of here and elsewhere I pieced it together which is why it's off my radar now.  The one thing that would have made it worthwhile personally would be a reward under legendary or something to have the full game present as well.  I hate speed running, never liked it, nothing about it at all.  I can I guess respect someone who wants to go down that life and time sucking path to shave off 0.1sec from some game but I'd rather enjoy myself than grind or watch others do it.  That's what this one is, grinding out micro seconds for a leaderboard basically.  Given the content is largely just NES Remix 1+2 with less content (strangely) and the emphasis on speed running it's just not for me at all.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Free trial of GamePass Ultimate (or just Gamepass PC) will get you there.

Administrator · Posted

I played the game a little bit so far, and I'm having a great time with it.  I like that there are lots of little bite-sized challenges, and it is fun to try to re-do them and improve your time.

It has a decent amount of content by covering a number of different games.

You still get a sense of nostalgia by playing some of the old games, but there is definitely a modern twist on it.

I'll never be a world-class speedrunner, but nevertheless it is fun to test yourself on the challenges and try to get S rank on them -- I haven't been able to get S rank on all of the ones I've tried yet, but I at least got a few and that is fun.

I haven’t opened mine yet.  Do I need to buy the Nintendo online to do the stuff?  It looks fun.  I want to join in but man I just do not use the switch.  The joycon I can’t play not attached to the system really kills it for me.  I don’t really like handhelds.  I was pumped for Eiyuden and haven’t opened that either.

44 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I haven’t opened mine yet.  Do I need to buy the Nintendo online to do the stuff?  It looks fun.  I want to join in but man I just do not use the switch.  The joycon I can’t play not attached to the system really kills it for me.  I don’t really like handhelds.  I was pumped for Eiyuden and haven’t opened that either.

You can do the local speed runs with no Nintendo switch online, there are a lot to do. I use a pro controller, I hate the joycons lol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

You can do the local speed runs with no Nintendo switch online, there are a lot to do. I use a pro controller, I hate the joycons lol

Nice thank you.  I picked out a couple of wired controllers with the boy earlier and he convinced me to also buy Mario Wonder.  First time.  So we‘re finally there.  Super Cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm obsessed. Currently tie for three WRs

• Don't Go Alone
  • Door to Door
  • Paratroopa Toppling

Granted, three among the easiest of achievable WRs without spinning for many hours haha

Edited by inasuma
  • Like 2

The grind is brutal.  Challenges always payout less than the cost of an unlock even with an S ranking.

I guess you can go back and try to shave off micro seconds off your old times but once you start getting to 100 and 300 coin unlocks, I end up just picking quick and easy challenges with bigger payouts.  I’ve probably fought Morton 50x now

Also why so much overlap between the silver and gold league and world champions? They should rotate daily, or if they are weekly then could have more variety between them.

I’m finding I can really only play in short bursts before repartition and grind starts to get to me.

Edited by fox

Def been enjoying playing this game and all the things that came with the deluxe edition. Granted NES is my favorite system and I love a good challenge, but I look forward to the challenges each week.

Im trying to improve my legendary trial as well, my record is 29 minutes or so. Ice Climber is a tough game.

6 hours ago, CT said:

Def been enjoying playing this game and all the things that came with the deluxe edition. Granted NES is my favorite system and I love a good challenge, but I look forward to the challenges each week.

Im trying to improve my legendary trial as well, my record is 29 minutes or so. Ice Climber is a tough game.

Typo there, it's supposed to say "Ice Climber is a trash game."

Sorry, just beat it on NES so I'm a bit traumatized. It's absolutely infuriating.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...