IGNORED

D-Day happened exactly 80 years ago today.

Estil

On 6/7/2024 at 3:19 AM, Tabonga said:

Another very illuminating (if really depressing) book is "The Rape of Nanking" - which describes the utter brutalization of the helpless citizens of that city by the Japanese Imperial Army in 1937.  That is what happens when there is no one to use force to  protect people from unbridled militaristic dictatorships.  

One of the most horrifying things I have ever read. I remember being both disgusted by the level of inhumanity depicted in the book and the fact that I had never even heard of it. In our school system, the whole Pacific War (and the Sino-Japanese Wars) are completed glossed over in favor of a big Holocaust unit and battles in Europe. Obviously the Holocaust is extremely important and deserves to be properly covered, but I always found it very ironic that in doing so it lead to other, similar events (albeit on a smaller scale) being neglected.

The author, Iris Chang, is really interesting too, and the note at the end from her husband is probably the most I've ever cried reading a book. She took her own life in 2004, but I'm sure she would be touched by how far-reaching her work has become.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ChTe said:

One of the most horrifying things I have ever read. I remember being both disgusted by the level of inhumanity depicted in the book and the fact that I had never even heard of it. In our school system, the whole Pacific War (and the Sino-Japanese Wars) are completed glossed over in favor of a big Holocaust unit and battles in Europe. Obviously the Holocaust is extremely important and deserves to be properly covered, but I always found it very ironic that in doing so it lead to other, similar events (albeit on a smaller scale) being neglected.

The author, Iris Chang, is really interesting too, and the note at the end from her husband is probably the most I've ever cried reading a book. She took her own life in 2004, but I'm sure she would be touched by how far-reaching her work has become.

Some historians date the start of WW2 back to 1931 when Japan seized Manchuria.  Depending on when you start counting China lost 20 - 35 million people and other countries occupied by Japan another 7-10 million.  Japan had a military unit (Unit 731) that researched biological weapons and they attempted to use those weapons on China.

This is a very excellent movie about some the aspects about China during  that time period.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1