IGNORED

What should be my first Final Fantasy game?

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Whether you like the changes or not doesn't change the fact that that's not what the QOL term means.

I agree the GBA remake is definitely more welcoming to new players, but in that case, doesn't that defeat the whole "start at the beginning" argument, and wouldn't it make more sense to just play some of the later games that were actually designed around these changes in the first place, and are equally approachable to casual players?

It really sucks balls that even with the Pixel Remasters that they don't (yet) include the super secret bonus dungeons/superbosses that only the GBA versions have.

• Like 1

Look if you do FF1 then do the Dawn of Souls, just ignore Sumez, he often has very unique hot takes that buck actual reality which is why the admin and others are pushing back on which version makes the most sense.

I too grew up on the NES game and finished that one once, but it was such a grind and had a weird system vs FF2(4 SNES), Dragon Warrior(Quest) and others it was painful to play again, too slow, too grinding, too stupid with limited choices of spells and times used before tapped out...it was a bad design that was fast abandoned.  It shocked me to see that part of it put back into Pixel Remaster, not cool.  THe other quality of life bits were retained such as better balancing of the cash and xp gains so you're not just crawling along at a pace that could end your care to continue.

While I may still have the cart and the manaul and posters, and I will at times fire it up and push it a ways into the game, it wears thin, even using the NP magazine guide as an assist, it's still a drag.  That was an era of learning for JRPGs and even the FF franchise given how obscenely dumb/weird FF2(famicom) leveling system worked, there was no experience.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Look if you do FF1 then do the Dawn of Souls, just ignore Sumez, he often has very unique hot takes that buck actual reality which is why the admin and others are pushing back on which version makes the most sense.

I too grew up on the NES game and finished that one once, but it was such a grind and had a weird system vs FF2(4 SNES), Dragon Warrior(Quest) and others it was painful to play again, too slow, too grinding, too stupid with limited choices of spells and times used before tapped out...it was a bad design that was fast abandoned.  It shocked me to see that part of it put back into Pixel Remaster, not cool.  THe other quality of life bits were retained such as better balancing of the cash and xp gains so you're not just crawling along at a pace that could end your care to continue.

While I may still have the cart and the manaul and posters, and I will at times fire it up and push it a ways into the game, it wears thin, even using the NP magazine guide as an assist, it's still a drag.  That was an era of learning for JRPGs and even the FF franchise given how obscenely dumb/weird FF2(famicom) leveling system worked, there was no experience.

This is all I'm saying.

16 hours ago, Sumez said:

Whether you like the changes or not doesn't change the fact that that's not what the QOL term means.

I agree the GBA remake is definitely more welcoming to new players, but in that case, doesn't that defeat the whole "start at the beginning" argument, and wouldn't it make more sense to just play some of the later games that were actually designed around these changes in the first place, and are equally approachable to casual players?

To each their own my friend. Both are valid. It just depends on what path you want to take. I personally enjoyed the GBA remakes after years of never having much luck on the NES.

For what it's worth, this thread inspired me to pick up another cart-only copy of FF NES 😎.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The GBA game was redesigned to play well on a hand held.  That said, it still has plenty of challenge, and if you need more, just don't buy any weapons or armor.  Use the stuff you find along the way.  It's more fun that way, IMO.  The extra dungeons are also  cool, and the secret bosses are brutal.

The second game is also fun, despite the trashing it gets.

• Like 2

Well, if I was you, Id start with a FF title that was released during your favorite game generation (or the generation you have the most nostalgia for). 

Lets say, if You grew up playing Playstation 1, then grab FF 7 or 8 (also, both received a lot of appraisal). 

Also worthy mentioning is the fact that most (or all?) of the main retro FF titles received remakes. 

Edited by DreamCuPS
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DreamCuPS said:

Well, if I was you, Id start with a FF that was released during your favorite game generation (or the generation you have the most nostalgia for). 

Probably the best suggestion so far

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4, 6, and 7 are the best the series has to offer imo. I enjoy 1 and the simplicity of it, but certainly enjoy the Origins port on PS. It gives it a 16 bit coat of paint as well as the best quality of life upgrade in allowing you to buy more than one item in a shop at a time. It doesn't tinker with the magic system either, so the game still has that NES "feel" without having to spend hours in shops doing nothing but buying heal potions.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

4, 6, and 7 are the best the series has to offer imo. I enjoy 1 and the simplicity of it, but certainly enjoy the Origins port on PS. It gives it a 16 bit coat of paint as well as the best quality of life upgrade in allowing you to buy more than one item in a shop at a time. It doesn't tinker with the magic system either, so the game still has that NES "feel" without having to spend hours in shops doing nothing but buying heal potions.

Dude, it legit takes a full FIVE MINUTES to purchase 99 potions, lmao.

• Sad 1

Little fixes like the 99 potions goes a long way.  The old Dune II RTS (precursor to COmmand & Conquer) in the DOS era suffered from the make 1 unit at a time, MOVE 1 unit at a time design shortcoming which made it painful and C&C doesn't do this.  Years ago (still active) someone designed Dune Legacy for various formats where you slap that down on top of an original game graphics/audio (etc?) files and it brings it up to a modern era where you can move full units, backlog a queue of units to be built etc.  It makes the game far less tedious and a real pleasure.

• Like 1

Yeah I'll readily agree that NES FFI has a lot of problems, I'm not a fan of the game, but when you take out all the challenge and resource managements aspects, what's the point, really? Agreed on PS1 Origins probably being the best version for fixing the QoL and the more egregious glitches without taking a hatchet to the gameplay.

I wouldn't recommend any version of FFI either way though. Too little of what people really care about the series is represented there. Go with FFVI or FFVII.

On 6/12/2024 at 11:01 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

What if he only plays one game?

If the backlog challenges have taught me one thing, it's that people overestimate what they can or will do.  Focus on the peaks, because it may be all you have time for.

I don’t know how I missed this notification but this is extremely fair. If you’re only going to play one, then I absolutely recommend FF6.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1