IGNORED

VGS Cooking Club: The Grill (June 2024)

Jeevan

2 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

The big flat surface continuous heating surface is nice for working with a bunch of different items at once.  It’s kind of like cooking in a giant cast iron pan.  Needs seasoned and everything.  It’s also really easy to slide stuff that’s done over  to an unheated area to keep warm.  We actually had to replace our range this past weekend and at one point I considered whether or not I could boil water on the griddle lol.  I think I recall hearing that there are models with conventional stove style burners on the side.

Well. That's basically what I'm saying. You can put a ⅛" baking steel on top of a gas range, and basically have the same advantages, without having a whole big unit taking up space in the yard, needing protection from the elements, have to bring fuel home from the store in some container, etc. 

I like both really but charcoal is pretty tasty. All I do is fill the chimney close to the top, put 3 pieces of wadded up newspaper under, set on the bottom grate and light. Wait till the coal get going and then dump, top grate and lid. No issues other than waiting for it to cool down, because I wanna cover it to protect against rain. I don't like the kind that has lighter fuel built in, but I'm sure it can be good if done right.

The cleanup is pretty easy for the ashes, move the air intake till they fall into the collector and then take it off and dump.

The price point definitely helps to start out with charcoal.

Edited by drxandy

The first rule of Cooking Club is: You shall not specifically name what PII has made here on the grill.  So let's just say that if you had a couple of these attached to your own body you'd be damn proud of 'em.

Didn't do anything too crazy, just peeled it, briefly simmered it, chopped it, rolled the pieces around in some olive oil/salt/pepper and then skewered 'em and put 'em on the grill.

Good earthy flavor and soft chewy texture.  Definitely a delicacy.

Watched a video last night about prep because it's been a while and the video also contained a demonstration of the pre-preparation....

...that would be the rough part.

Bull Nut On Grill.png

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I still say grilling is too much work to make one thing for one person. So I don't own a grill, but I had a plan to cook something in the fire pit. I never got around to it. But I did go to a barbecue a couple of weeks ago. Here is the corn I had there. At least the host is a good cook and had some compound butter, with cilantro and some other stuff in it.

IMG_8766.jpeg.2ed1de01b2ddc86b8f29e5b189939b89.jpeg

There was also (among other things that I did not take pictures of) cheese. I forget what kind it was. 

IMG_8768.jpeg.d8d38893a963e9a62d29e8a88f0c5251.jpeg

The char left on the corn had me interested when I later read that you can very simply cook corn in the microwave. 2 minutes and that's it. And the husk and silk come off quite easily. I added salt, pepper, and garlic to the butter. 

IMG_8939.jpeg.a418402d2902ea2724f3c90eb1fc5050.jpeg

• Like 1