IGNORED

Is she dead?

Laseki

Looks pretty dead to me, but at the same time, it's always a question of how far you're willing to go. There's not a PCB trace that can't be patched, or a component that can't be replaced. If the rom data is damaged, it can be replaced by an EPROM, but is arguably not an original anymore

8 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Looks pretty dead to me, but at the same time, it's always a question of how far you're willing to go. There's not a PCB trace that can't be patched, or a component that can't be replaced. If the rom data is damaged, it can be replaced by an EPROM, but is arguably not an original anymore

The same could be said of a battery though. 😛  It would be interesting to see how much each component weighs towards a game being considered original or not.

• Disagree 1

Administrator · Posted
22 minutes ago, Laseki said:

I guess i should be asking if it would be worth it to fix since it's only a $40-$50 game

Even if it's dead i only paid $5 on it, i could go looking for a labeless Final fantasy 2 i guess lol

Depends on whether you think Time == Money, and if you think Learning Experience >= Time.

Could be fun to try and fix it, might learn some new skill along the way even if it doesn't end up fixed. Whether those new skills or the experience are worth the time investment (and potentially cost of materials) are worth it.

• Agree 2

I’d probably grab my toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol and clean it off and see what it looks like under the gunk. Honestly though from looking at it and it being a more common game I doubt I’d put the effort in to try and salvage it and I have all the tools and skills I’d need to fix it. My personal number is a game has to be at least $100 or more for me to put in repair effort 

30 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I’d probably grab my toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol and clean it off and see what it looks like under the gunk. Honestly though from looking at it and it being a more common game I doubt I’d put the effort in to try and salvage it and I have all the tools and skills I’d need to fix it. My personal number is a game has to be at least $100 or more for me to put in repair effort 

Went ahead and did this, think i found the problem spots lolIMG_2688.JPG.887369e121ad9c64536963bf428ecead.JPG

13 minutes ago, Laseki said:

Went ahead and did this, think i found the problem spots lolIMG_2688.JPG.887369e121ad9c64536963bf428ecead.JPG

If you’ve got the tools that single orange guy (diode I think) missing a leg is probably less than .10 cents lol pay attention to polarity I think it matters here

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fcgamer said:

The same could be said of a battery though. 😛  It would be interesting to see how much each component weighs towards a game being considered original or not.

The mask rom, lockout chip, and a mapper ic if such exists, are the only three components on an NES PCB that aren't off the shelf components, and of the three only the mask rom was produced specifically for the game in question. I think that's a pretty notable distinction.

IMO the game is original as long as it was purchased as such. But, you know, Ship of Theseus and all...

Edited by Sumez

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

The mask rom, lockout chip, and a mapper ic if such exists, are the only three components on an NES PCB that aren't off the shelf components, and of the three only the mask rom was produced specifically for the game in question. I think that's a pretty notable distinction.

How about something like a bootleg game with a legitimate chip (i.e. that Wrecking Crew I posted a few weeks back), compared to a legit wrecking crew board / components with a replacement rom chip? Which would be more authentic? Also, surely the PCB counts for something?

Regarding the Theseus' ship situation, the thought that comes to me immediately is humans ourselves. With our skin cells, for example, constantly being replaced can we be considered the same human being from month to month?

Can think of two ways to go on this but they both start out under the same.

Vinegar, 91+% alcohol, paper towel, 99cent store toothbrush, and some bowls.

First apply the vinegar and see how much bubbles off, then brush and wipe away
Second do the same with the alcohol

Assuming you don't have a tester, just remove the battery as it's done.

Pop that into the system cleaned up, see how it works(likely not)

From there you can go two ways.  Get a magnifier and see if any traces are done/broken and address that, I'd also clean and reflow every spot of solder.

You can access from there if the board is just garbage, if that's the case don't reflow but reheat and remove and find the cheapest possible donor board and transplant the chips.

If the board isn't shot, reconnect any breaks then cover it over (tape, solder mask, etc.)

In either case unless the actually CHR/PRG chips are destroyed you should be able to use it again whatever that is.

• 3 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted
On 6/15/2024 at 5:31 AM, fcgamer said:

How about something like a bootleg game with a legitimate chip (i.e. that Wrecking Crew I posted a few weeks back), compared to a legit wrecking crew board / components with a replacement rom chip? Which would be more authentic? Also, surely the PCB counts for something?

Regarding the Theseus' ship situation, the thought that comes to me immediately is humans ourselves. With our skin cells, for example, constantly being replaced can we be considered the same human being from month to month?

"Serviceable parts" or things that are pretty straight forward to replace (off the self parts) for me is where I would draw the line.  Yes, some people will say no matter how bad the parts are, if it was "original" then it should be there.  I think that is an extreme take and at some point you got to realize that any WORKING game isn't "original" as the operational life for parts aren't infinite.  Either way if I replace a part I'm calling it "restored" implying that I had to replace/repair some minor aspects of the item.

@Laseki there are people who love to restore broken games.  If you don't want to restore it for the fun/experience of restoring the game then I'd recommend selling it on eBay for cheap or gifting it to a YouTuber who does restore videos.  Don't throw it in the trash, there are many who will pay a small fee to get the experience you are not wanting to participate in.

• Like 2

So like no update.  I'm browsing that image more.  The main chips if they're not fried, the other components are off the rack replaceable and cheap, board too if you get a compatible game going that route.  I'd care to see that working.

I wrote something weeks ago but was in a rush and on my phone which I hate to type on.

To me, at this rate, as a $40-50 game it's worth fixing.  The first thing I'd do is what I said before still, give it a nice vinegar bath and solid toothbrushing around that chip in the top right corner, that's my only concerning part depending if the crust finished that one off in the corner end of both sides.

That aside, using a chart online you can see what the other diodes, caps, etc are pretty easily.  They'd need to be for safety sake all utterly replaced if you chose to keep the board.  The board doesn't look yet like a total loss with the funk on there, but could be?  Possibly a few through holes for the chips, diodes, and caps in a few places may need to be re-tinned or bridged with a scrape to the trace they touch.  This given you had the spare bits n picees would be the cheapest fastest way.

If you don't mind blowing I guess $10 or whatever on the cheapest shipped cart that's compatible board, then it would be cleaning your source chips, removing them, cleaning the rest now off board, then throwing it into the donor.

I kinda forgot this thread lol

Bought a soldering gun and have plenty of cheapo madden donor carts, when i can get to it this will be my personal project to learn how to repair games.

If i can fix it, it's going in my personal collection since i somehow don't have a copy of FF2/4