IGNORED

How long do you play a new game before deciding it's not worth your time?

How long do you play a new game (give it a chance) before deciding it's not worth your time?   

24 members have voted

1. 1. How much time are you willing to invest in a new game before deciding to call it quits?

• 30 minutes or less -- that's all I need!
    • Around 1 hour.
    • 2 -- 3 hours.
    • 3 -- 5 hours.
    • 5 -- 10 hours.
    • If I start a game, by golly, I'm gonna finish it!

Editorials Team · Posted

If I had more game-playing time in general, I could sink more time into each game to see if I like it. But since time is tight, I'm gonna go ahead and focus on the ones that are awesome enough that they catch me within the first hour. I can't spend 3+ hours NOT having fun during time when it's supposed to be fun.

If I have reason to believe that it's worth the investment, then I'll give it more time. A lot of Zelda games start kinda slow for me, but I stick with it because I know I'll end up liking it. I really tried to like Hyrule Warriors but I just couldn't after a few hours. Skyrim hasn't hooked me yet but I bet it will, so I still have it on my shelf, maybe a future Backlog Thread game.

But generally speaking, there are games that I like within the first hour, and those are the ones I play (at this stage of my life.)

34 minutes ago, koifish said:

Grinding in particular hits a nerve. That junk was invented for kids to waste time on so they don't bug their parents.

That definitely was a way to add "time" to RPGs back in the day 🙂

I remember in particular the first few Ys games -- it made a HUGE difference if you went up against a boss at level 6 vs level 7 etc. Rather annoying. That said, even worse than grinding was the random battles -- now those were basically a time waster!