IGNORED

Konami Code reference in Sabrina Carpenter's "Espresso"...

Okay so this song is super hot right now... Last week? Maybe I'm just catching the tail end of it, but the song basically just exploded.

The first couple times I heard it I caught the Nintendo Switch reference... okay, makes sense. Kids these days LOVE their switch. 🤷‍♂️

So today, out of pure curiosity, I decided to watch the video while I read the lyrics so I can figure out what the hell she's saying during the chorus....

SHE MAKES A MUH' FUCKIN' KONAMI CODE REFERENCE!

Here it is:

"Move it up, down, left, right, oh
Switch it up like Nintendo
Say you can't sleep, baby, I know
That's that me espresso"

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/sabrinacarpenter/espresso.html

Okay, so... if "Move it up, down, left, right, oh" isn't a Konami Code reference then I don't know what the fuck Konami is. If I'm understanding it correctly, it's a sexual innuendo.

AM I RIGHT?

It's used in the same line as the Nintendo Switch reference, so I'm thinking there's 0 chance it's a coincidence.

Anyways... I didn't hate the song before... but now.... now I like it. 🥰

Maybe just referring to game controls in general (paired with the Nintendo line). ↑ ↓ ← → is a pretty common order to list those directions. Similar to N S E W, they are usually said just like that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

That's not even the Konami code 😅 - The Konami code is Up Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right.

There was a period some years back where the code had an odd resurgence, and got referenced on all sort of places, completely out of the context of video games. It would work on various websites, etc. Even my Girlfriend knew about it, though she didn't know it was from old video games - it's how she knows the name "Konami".

This isn't it though.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

It's entirely possible that "up down left right" IS a reference to the konami code, they just decided to shorten it to fit the song cuz up up down down left right left right B A just doesn't roll off the tongue in tempo with the tune. It's also redundant to repeat yourself in the context of the song. 

That's the thing with a *reference* is it doesn't HAVE to be exact; I don't think it's so far fetched to call it a potential reference given the line following it. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I couldn't tell if you're joking or not, so apologies if it was actually intended as sarcasm - but I hope we both agree that if you wanted to shorten the code and actually maintain the reference, what you'd do is something like "Up, up, down, down"? Like, keep in the part that actually makes it recognizable, instead of just listing the directions on a D-pad in the traditional order. 😛

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 2

Editorials Team · Posted

I can't decide if it is or not, partly because "move it up down, left right oh, switch it up like Nintendo" makes absolutely no sense at all in context. She's calling herself espresso because a dude can't sleep when he thinks about her. They're not in the same room. What is being moved in those 4 directions? What is being switched up? Is it uhh, uhhh..... nvm lol.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
On 6/25/2024 at 3:15 AM, Sumez said:

I couldn't tell if you're joking or not, so apologies if it was actually intended as sarcasm - but I hope we both agree that if you wanted to shorten the code and actually maintain the reference, what you'd do is something like "Up, up, down, down"? Like, keep in the part that actually makes it recognizable, instead of just listing the directions on a D-pad in the traditional order. 😛

It's entirely possible they're making a reference and not being smart about it. 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2024 at 12:21 PM, The Count said:

Man, I gotta disagree about that. Pretty sure it's a sexual reference. Also, she's only 25 per Wikipedia so...

What is your basis for disagreeance. WHAT!?!?    😆

Yes... The Konami code is a sexual innuendo.

There is no other reason for her to mention "Up, down, left, right" IMMEDIATELY before a Nintendo reference...

BOTH lines are the Nintendo reference, you just don't know that until she actually name drops "Nintendo".

On 6/24/2024 at 4:27 PM, Link said:

Maybe just referring to game controls in general (paired with the Nintendo line). ↑ ↓ ← → is a pretty common order to list those directions. Similar to N S E W, they are usually said just like that.

Possible... but the order is what gets me. Up, down, left, right... Seems very intentional.

Also, I've never heard someone say N S E W.

Never Eat Shredded Wheat, up here, son! (clockwise)

haha... or.... Never Eat Soggy Worms. 🤷‍♂️

On 6/25/2024 at 1:26 AM, Sumez said:

That's not even the Konami code 😅 - The Konami code is Up Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right.

There was a period some years back where the code had an odd resurgence, and got referenced on all sort of places, completely out of the context of video games. It would work on various websites, etc. Even my Girlfriend knew about it, though she didn't know it was from old video games - it's how she knows the name "Konami".

This isn't it though.

Haha, fuck, really....?

Course it's not the full code for god's sake...  that's why it's a reference. 😅

I mean... Gloves said it.... but the point of it being a reference means it doesn't have to be SUPER OBVIOUS/EXACT.

Did you even read what you just wrote?

Sumez: Konami code had a huge resurgence a few years ago, women who didn't know it from old video games knew about it.... but nope, this young woman couldn't possibly know what it is.

😆

On 6/25/2024 at 1:48 AM, Gloves said:

It's entirely possible that "up down left right" IS a reference to the konami code, they just decided to shorten it to fit the song cuz up up down down left right left right B A just doesn't roll off the tongue in tempo with the tune. It's also redundant to repeat yourself in the context of the song. 

That's the thing with a *reference* is it doesn't HAVE to be exact; I don't think it's so far fetched to call it a potential reference given the line following it. 

Baby Babies GIF

Can everyone please take a second and READ what Glovesy just said?

It's not catchy to be spitting out the whole Konami Code. 🙈

For god sakes people.... THIS IS KONAMI CODES' SHOT IN THE SUN!!!!

And they're all like "nah.... couldn't be."  😅

Yeah... like I said above.... I think the fact that the two lines are ENDED with "Nintendo", connect them.

Why would she say "up, down, left, right" for NO REASON? 🤔

On 6/25/2024 at 4:11 AM, Splain said:

I can't decide if it is or not, partly because "move it up down, left right oh, switch it up like Nintendo" makes absolutely no sense at all in context. She's calling herself espresso because a dude can't sleep when he thinks about her. They're not in the same room. What is being moved in those 4 directions? What is being switched up? Is it uhh, uhhh..... nvm lol.

Of course it makes sense. It's about a PENIS! "Move it up, down, left, right, oh. Switch it up like Nintendo."

It's about a penis and sex. That IS the innuendo.

Konami Code = moving your penis up and down, left , right, etc.

"Switch it up, like Nintendo"  = switching up positions during sex.

Shooting Star GIF

On 6/25/2024 at 8:13 PM, Tulpa said:

It's referencing the d-pad more than anything else.

I mean, if you want actual Konami Code references in songs, there are a number of them:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KonamiCode

This list is incomplete.

Example: Video Games by Classified is not even on the list. 🤔

On 6/26/2024 at 2:34 AM, guillavoie said:

General D-pad reference + mild sexual innuendo, of course.

Up, down, left, right.... IN THAT ORDER?    🤔🤔🤔

I find it highly suspect it's a "general" d-pad reference when it's in that order. 🤷‍♂️

On 6/26/2024 at 1:01 PM, fcgamer said:

Did anyone here find the song enjoyable?

Yes. I mean... it's literally written to be crazy catchy and fun/enjoyable. So yeah... I enjoy the catchy little beat, and tune. And with this reference, I'm in 100%.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:38 AM, Code Monkey said:

Sounds like she's just referencing the controller directions in reference to sex. I don't see a Konami code reference.

Yeah man.... I really like the "general controller directions" reference in your avatar. 😅

Please... Code Monkey. Honestly...

The up, down, left, right, in your avatar.... THAT is a Konami Code reference.

If it's not, you fucked up.  🤣  I mean... You must really love D-pads?

Okay...  Unless you're trolling me and of course you see the reference, because, duh.... it's in your picture....??? Hahaha...

I'm actually not sure now. 🙈

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AirVillain said:

Yeah man.... I really like the "general controller directions" reference in your avatar. 😅

Please... Code Monkey. Honestly...

The up, down, left, right, in your avatar.... THAT is a Konami Code reference.

If it's not, you fucked up.  🤣  I mean... You must really love D-pads?

Okay...  Unless you're trolling me and of course you see the reference, because, duh.... it's in your picture....??? Hahaha...

I'm actually not sure now. 🙈

You dare question T-Pac's design choices? BANISHED TO THE ETHER!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

You dare question T-Pac's design choices? BANISHED TO THE ETHER!

🤣

It's not the design, it's the interpretation of the design.

I just didn't realize how much you loved D-pads, I guess. 🙈😅

Can't imagine looking at that and NOT thinking of the Konami Code.

Once again... not sure if you're trolling me or not. 😆

Did you ask for an avatar that highlighted your love for D-pads??? Or just something to do with video games?

I'd love to hear this process @T-Pac 😆

6 hours ago, AirVillain said:

This list is incomplete.

Example: Video Games by Classified is not even on the list. 🤔

So go edit it yourself. It's TV Tropes, the Wikipedia of pop culture.

• Like 1

BTW,

20 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Possible... but the order is what gets me. Up, down, left, right... Seems very intentional.

Also, I've never heard someone say N S E W.

Never Eat Shredded Wheat, up here, son! (clockwise)

haha... or.... Never Eat Soggy Worms. 🤷‍♂️

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_direction

"The four cardinal directions, or cardinal points, are the four main compass directions: north, south, east, and west, commonly denoted by their initials N, S, E, and W respectively."

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 12:47 AM, Tulpa said:

So go edit it yourself. It's TV Tropes, the Wikipedia of pop culture.

Just pointing out the simple fact that the fact the this song is not on the list does not disqualify it from being a Konami Code reference. 🤷‍♂️

19 hours ago, Tulpa said:

BTW,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_direction

"The four cardinal directions, or cardinal points, are the four main compass directions: north, south, east, and west, commonly denoted by their initials N, S, E, and W respectively."

Okay... If that's the case she'd say "Up (N), Down (S), Right (E), Left (W)". Right?

So... thanks for adding even more credence to the Konami Code reference in Espresso argument.... Because if she's just making a plain old directional reference, why say "left" before "right". 🤔

Guys... it's not that complicated:

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR SABRINA CARPENTER TO MENTION "UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT" IMMEDIATELY BEFORE A NINTENDO SWITCH REFERENCE IF IT IS ALSO NOT A REFERENCE ITSELF.

Hahaha... I think it's funny how this is literally a reference that people here SHOULD understand, yet because she's a young pop star.... you just don't want to accept it??? 🤣

The two lines come together when she says "Nintendo" as the last word. 🤷‍♂️

Also, who's to say one of these people don't know the Konami Code:

• Sabrina Carpenter
  • Amy Allen
  • Julian Bunetta
  • Steph Jones

🤔🤔🤔