IGNORED

Featured Member June 2024: hybrid

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted

Thanks @Hybrid!

uCgUc7A.png

What's the backstory of your username?
Hybrid originated from D&D he was a half orc and half and half hobgoblin i think which was named hybrid.

Who's the guy in your profile pic?
A character from Binding of Issac. who is a homage to a character from Zelda Ii

How did you come across NA/VGS for the first time?
Too long ago for me to remember

Do you happen to have a website where you collect/document misprints/errors in video games?
Yes! I do it's the largest documented list of misprints errors and other oddities you can find it here:
https://iamerror.gamehacking.org/

What are your favorite errors?
spacer.png

The one that started it all my copy of midway arcade greatest hits that plays Marvel vs Capcom 2

spacer.png

My only graded game this game despite the tag is not a printing error, it's an assembly error.

spacer.png

This would be my favorite miscut game I have because it's two different things the top half is a music CD Tessie Hill-I Must Tell Jesus.

Now my favorite type of error is what I call data errors where the game plays something completely different

Besides the one listed above here's another that is my favorite

spacer.png

This game plays Good Times season 5 disc 1

As far as misprints aka printing errors

spacer.png

What got you into collecting these errors?
I walked into a GameStop and they had some Dreamcast games in a box on the ground this was when they were trying to sell out of their remaining games I picked up the Midway arcade greatest hits vol 1. Put it in my Dreamcast and up pops Marvel vs Capcom 2. This is the only one that I know of that has a sister disc a Marvel vs Capcom 2 that plays Midway arcade greatest hits vol 1.

At the time I knew nothing about these so I asked around and people were saying it was fake or a burnt copy, but I knew it was real. Shortly after I found a Tony hawk 2 that plays Action Bass and later many others.

How do you find them?
eBay/forums and only once or twice out in the wild

Are there any White Whale errors you're trying to track down?
Any data errors are considered my white whale. Specifically ones I don't own they are usually priced through the ceiling when they are found.

Some examples are

Namco museum vol 1 that plays rug rats in Paris
Final Fantasy 7 that plays a SpongeBob game on its 3rd disc
Contra legacy of war that one plays revolt
There's also a copy of legend of Dragoon that plays  road writers on the second disc

Do you play a lot of games or just collect them?
Yeah I play many games I like RPGs and I also enjoy platformers puzzle games and some fighting games and some story driven games

What are your Top Ten games of all time?
In no particular order

Balotro
Super Mario Bros
Legend of Zelda tears of the kingdom
Super Mario Wonder
Disney illusion island
Detroit become human
Super Mario world
Beyond two souls
Zero tolerance
Free fall

Are you at 100% in Tears of the Kingdom?
nowhere near 100%

You like 2D Mario games, how do you feel about 3D Mario?
i haven't played many 3D games i enjoyed what few of them i played

What features do you want to see in Nintendo's next console?
good games that's it

What are you playing right now?
Balotro
Lion King
Zero tolerance

What's your favorite console to play on?
Any

What are your least favorite games ever?
VIP
NBA jam extreme
Also many of the early 3D games even when they were new they were hard to play 

What non-video game hobbies do you have?
Besides my website I also collect coins and bills and I also have a few errors in this hobby

Let's see some coin/bill errors!
spacer.png

spacer.png

This is probably my best error I bought it off eBay this coin was struck once normally failed to eject the striking chamber and was struck again

So technically it's a double struck once in collar once without which is known as broadstruck

spacer.png

spacer.png

This quarter was found at my job it's called a partial collar the retaining collar failed to fully engage around the planchet before the anvil die struck hence you see the bulge on the side and the reeding is partially there

spacer.png

This 1965 nickel was found at my job it has what is known as a duel curved clip

This happened because the planchet was cut from the stock at where other planchets were cut and from  here's a diagram showing the various clips or incomplete planchets come from

spacer.png

So, were those planchets being cut, like, by hand back in 1965?? Seems like there could easily be a system to prevent that kind of thing.
the stock is either misfed or defective when it goes into the press which punches out the blanks for it is what causes the clipped planchet

If it became illegal to collect misprints, and you had to flee to a foreign country, where would you go?
Canada it has some interesting misprints there

If you found a car with a misprint, would you buy it?
it depends on what is misprinted cosmetic error yeah i would be drawn to it

Do you have any pets?
no pets

Play any sports?
no sports

Did you see the Mario Bros movie?
yes good movie as long as you aren't expecting a cinematic colossus it fine

• Like 9

• The topic was pinned

Error coins are so cool. Before my eyesight started to really suck, I would check my change for doubled dies. Best I found was the 1995 DDO penny. Never got my hands on the super cool 1983 DDR, but not from a lack of looking.

1888-O Morgan "Hot Lips"

1888OHotLips3a35ca98-03b4-4b00-b56a-2b808793ce93.jpg.f36165ac54cf055e3dd2f7c68cc564fb.jpg

And I've always thought the 1943 Double Eye Jefferson was pretty badass:

nickel-1943-ddo-o.jpeg.d1a6aa06a2ebe2b96bf676b80c19237f.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2024 at 11:10 PM, Splain said:

Do you have any pets?
no pets

Oh, man I only caught the top of the question before I scrolled down.  I was really hoping to see a photo of a tripod or a cat with a genetic defect, giving it five limbs.

• Haha 2

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, RH said:

Oh, man I only caught the top of the question before I scrolled down.  I was really hoping to see a photo of a tripod or a cat with a genetic defect, giving it five limbs.

Yes! Maybe that's why we like misprints, we all have a couple factory defects ourselves.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted

Great read, @Hybrid!

Although I've gotta say - I learned a lot about misprints but not much about the guy behind them. Like ... What do you do for a living? What's your favorite breakfast cereal? What are your hopes and dreams for the future? What's the most comfortable pair of shoes you've ever had? 

Maybe you don't care for that stuff - but I'm always interested haha.

[T-Pac]

On 7/14/2024 at 8:27 PM, T-Pac said:

Great read, @Hybrid!

Although I've gotta say - I learned a lot about misprints but not much about the guy behind them. Like ... What do you do for a living? What's your favorite breakfast cereal? What are your hopes and dreams for the future? What's the most comfortable pair of shoes you've ever had? 

Maybe you don't care for that stuff - but I'm always interested haha.

[T-Pac]

I work in a 7 eleven.

Coco pebbles would be my favorite cereal.

As for hopes and dreams. Hmm that's difficult, but I hope people will learn to use the thing between their ears, and realize that the game they have isn't a million dollar game if it has a misprint 

Graphics Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Hybrid said:

I work in a 7 eleven.

Coco pebbles would be my favorite cereal.

As for hopes and dreams. Hmm that's difficult, but I hope people will learn to use the thing between their ears, and realize that the game they have isn't a million dollar game if it has a misprint 

Shoot - you just made me realize I missed Slurpee Day AGAIN!

That's cool, though. And I think we all have hopes and dreams of affordable game-collecting haha!

[T-Pac]