IGNORED

Movie Debate #163: Snowpiercer

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

I liked it, but thought it was super dark. Then I heard about the theory that this is a sequel to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and now I'm a fan. I would love to give it a rewatch to see how well the theory fits, but again, it was dark. What I read, though, seemed pretty sound. Not quite on my list of shit I only needed to see once (Requiem), but pretty close.

• Wow! 1

43 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I liked it, but thought it was super dark. Then I heard about the theory that this is a sequel to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and now I'm a fan. I would love to give it a rewatch to see how well the theory fits, but again, it was dark. What I read, though, seemed pretty sound. Not quite on my list of shit I only needed to see once (Requiem), but pretty close.

Interesting take. What aspects were dark about it to you?

Editorials Team · Posted

It was really interesting when the movie would take a whimsical turn. Like "we're in the middle of a revolution but let's sit and have some delicious sushi!" or "happy new year!" And I guess making light of people's suffering and their attempts to change the world is kinda the point of the movie.

It's definitely a movie that I've spent a lot of time thinking about, and my total Thinking Time has easily exceeded the running time of the movie.

I think it's fairly justified in-universe. When the disaster hit, the only option they had at hand was the train that kept running. And if it stopped they would die. There is a tv series (and it's not too bad) based on the same premise, which delves much more into the lore and the technicalities of it. It also has Jennifer Connelly and Sean Bean which is a plus. No Tilda Swinton or Ed Harris tho.

Ultimately though, it's just a fun setpiece for a fun action movie. And as @Astro Bot said, it works well as a heavy-handed satire on class segregation.

Speaking of which, watch The Platform 🤣

Edited by Sumez