IGNORED

2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Antarctic Adventure

BeaIank

On 7/8/2024 at 8:52 PM, NESfiend said:

Achieved at level 34 thanks to very good RNG and a nails run. Let's go @PII

Wow, nice run.  Somebody's been practicin'...

..guess it's time to unleash my Penguin-Master-Plan....

• Haha 1

@NESfiend I actually had a bad run that time as far as scoring was concerned.  I missed a lot of flags.  I had a potentially better run going earlier today that would have likely been around 390k+ if I hadn't crapped out on 34.

Oh, and I take back what I said about 31.  It is easy if you just don't take the bait.  It's a couple of later 30-something levels requiring something on the order of zero fuck-ups that are the tricky ones...

17 hours ago, PII said:

@NESfiend I actually had a bad run that time as far as scoring was concerned.  I missed a lot of flags.  I had a potentially better run going earlier today that would have likely been around 390k+ if I hadn't crapped out on 34.

Oh, and I take back what I said about 31.  It is easy if you just don't take the bait.  It's a couple of later 30-something levels requiring something on the order of zero fuck-ups that are the tricky ones...

This is the downside of posting early and the upside at the same time. I am going to play again some more now. Had I not posted that and you got 350 at some point, you probably would have called it good and quit playing. You don't post your 380+, I was done for the week. Now someone may clear 400 - never happens if we all sit on scores. 

I'm going to try, but I genuinely don't think I can do that again. What makes it seem really insurmountable is you are clearing level 34. Thats where it really feels impossible to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

This is the downside of posting early and the upside at the same time. I am going to play again some more now. Had I not posted that and you got 350 at some point, you probably would have called it good and quit playing. You don't post your 380+, I was done for the week. Now someone may clear 400 - never happens if we all sit on scores. 

I'm going to try, but I genuinely don't think I can do that again. What makes it seem really insurmountable is you are clearing level 34. Thats where it really feels impossible to me. 

Yeah, that's why posting lots of scores is good; totally agree, except I never call it good.  I play to the end.  I almost always want to see how well I can do.

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I took another stab at it and only got 329k, which would've ordinary been enough, but these scores are insane.

I played a game this morning before leaving town for the night. Blew it on level 31 with 360k. Been killing me all day. I dont know what's going on that we turned a corner on this game. I remember working hard to clear 300 last time

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

I dont know what's going on that we turned a corner on this game. I remember working hard to clear 300 last time

I remember the same.  But I also remember last time I only picked up flags on the fly and would never slow down for them because I was fixated first and foremost on always getting to the end.  I have no idea what level I made it to last time and I wonder if the pic is still around somewhere... Definitely figured out some additional maneuvering this time..

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned
1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

And that sadly was the final standings. So sad that the Antarctic Adventure 2 weeks are over.
But it will be back for the special event at the end of the season.

Wow, I thought this ended 7 minutes ago. I only had time for 4-5 runs this weekend. Did some insane point racking early only to blow it on 30 or 31. I get too greedy not wanting to miss a single flag. I am aware of that tendency, but even with that awareness I still have trouble kicking it in game. I should be able to clear 400 if I could find some real time. Runs are long though. A high score contest thru 1-3 loops may still work very well. 

As for the end of year event when we play this again, @PII

9cb1dcdc-f18a-4138-8226-5853857f61a0_text.gif

• Love 1