IGNORED

Feel the Heat

Screenshot-from-2024-07-09-18-17-14.png

Wow!! Some years ago (5 or so) I was in Vegas and went out to Red Rock Canyon to do a bit of hiking. It was in the 90s and I drank gallons of water, it was intense! But, nothing like what is happening now. The highest recorded temperature is 134 and in Death Valley from 1913. Well, we could smash the world record soon, and myself, I would stay the heck away from that oven!

Hope y'all are staying cool!

It's been in the 90s where I'm at, although with all the humidity it often feels much hotter, but again, not as bad as it is out West -- stay hydrated!

Happy Hour Drinking GIF by Jess

Posted (edited)

There's actually some controversy as to whether that 134 degree record was legit. Some say the record was actually set three years ago at 130 degrees. 

Weirdly, the 1913 temp is listed as the record because the previous record of 136 degrees in Libya in 1922 came under scrutiny and is now thought to be invalid. 

In other words, forget all the degrees and just say it's fucking hot out. 

Edited by Tulpa
  • Haha 1

I have spent the better part of an afternoon out mowing in 115+ degree heat before, and its brutal. I sub my normal Gatorade for Gatorlyte at that point to try and stay alive. I think Id like to experience the 134 deg outside, but I always think back to healing up in a sauna when its between 150-180 deg for a 15 minute or so stay, and I never had a problem doing it, except for when a buddy convinced me to try Muscle Milk. After that sauna visit I puked my guts out.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

I can deal with it being hot, but the humidity makes it much worse. Sadly, we have to walk our dogs later in the day as it's just too hot in the afternoons. Washing cars? Closer to sunset. Everything has shifted to later in the day due to all this heat.

anything over 80 is too hot for me. it's been above that for the last 3 weeks. And raining damn near every day.  Wet Hot American Summer indeed!

also, i clicked on this thread thinking it would be about hot sauce. Now i am disappointed. 

Light weights... we keep the house at 76 here, but I'd prefer it in the 78-80 range.  My office is in our basement and as insane as this sounds, I have a heater I leave on.  In fact, it's running right now.  I use to have a thermometer in here.  It's often in the 82-24 degrees range.  

Here in NC, we've had some "hot" days and I'll admit I don't like being outside much when the humidity is high, the breeze is non-existent and the temperature is over about 92.  That said, the few times I've been out west in the summer and it's been north of 100, I've felt fine in the shade and even being in the sun is nothing like it is here.  I could live in that weather and, in a different life, I think I would be fine and could thrive in that weather, so long as I have water, a bit of shade and a steady breeze.

Unrelated though, the hottest temperatures I've felt were, IIRC, close to 150.  My uncle was a manager at a coal burning plant and the coal burners are around 12 stories high.  coal is crushed to a fine powder and pumped into these multi-story burners.  Anyway, though they are somewhat insolated, you can only keep so much heat in, and toward the top levels, temperatures in the human-accessible catwalk areas were consistently in the 140-150 degree range.  My uncle gave me, my brother and dad a tour and took us up to the top level.  Legit, when the elevator doors open, it feels like you're walking into an oven.  We were in the area for maybe 2-3 minutes just to walk to an exit on the side roof.  For just being in that heat for that short time, walking out side, on a heated, hot roof, on a +90 degree day felt "cold" for a couple of minutes.

My uncle also told us that it's rare that people have to have to work on the 12th floor of the burner without a shutdown but it does happen from time to time.  I think the regulation was workers could work for 10, maybe 15 minutes and then had to take a 45 minute break before going back to work in the heat.  I'd believe it, and I still wouldn't want to do it.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm in Arizona, Forecast for today is a high of 115 F. In Celsius that's like a million. When my front door is in direct sunlight, I can't touch the doorknob long enough to see if it's unlocked. Need doorknobs made of ice or something.

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

I feel that Soylent Green is a bit of an underrated movie. It's now arguably a "cult classic", but most people say "oh hey, we don't live in the doomsday scenario so it's just silly!" -- BUT actually, we are slowly approaching that scenario, which was the whole point of the movie! Also, it's made it's way to the lexicon, and heck, you can now purchase Soylent in your supermarket 🎅

Screenshot-from-2024-07-10-16-08-40.png

And yeah, the guy that created soylent specifically said the movie was his inspiration!

38 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I feel that Soylent Green is a bit of an underrated movie. It's now arguably a "cult classic", but most people say "oh hey, we don't live in the doomsday scenario so it's just silly!" -- BUT actually, we are slowly approaching that scenario, which was the whole point of the movie! Also, it's made it's way to the lexicon, and heck, you can now purchase Soylent in your supermarket 🎅

Screenshot-from-2024-07-10-16-08-40.png

And yeah, the guy that created soylent specifically said the movie was his inspiration!

I much preferred the novel Soylent Green was based on - Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison.  Seemed to be much more depressing than the movie. 

• Like 1

Las Vegas hits record of fifth consecutive day of 115 degrees or greater as heat wave scorches US

https://apnews.com/article/us-heat-wave-dangerous-temperatures-ed2009f3f4ad15b4ca96dc1aa0f5e1e8

Already the city has broken 16 heat records since June 1, well before the official start of summer, “and we’re not even halfway through July yet,” meteorologist Morgan Stessman said Wednesday. That includes an all-time high of 120 F (48.8 C) set on Sunday, which beat the previous 117 F (47.2 C) record.

The U.S. heat wave came as the global temperature in June was a record warm for the 13th straight month and marked the 12th straight month that the world was 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than pre-industrial times, the European climate service Copernicus said. Most of this heat, trapped by human-caused climate change, is from long-term warming from greenhouse gases emitted by the burning of coal, oil and natural gas, scientists say.