IGNORED

Any clue what the history and truth is behind these RJ11 PSX Controllers?

RH

Here's a linked eBay search of several examples:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ps1+controller+rj11

These are RJ11-ended PSX controllers.  They are all marked as "prototypes", but I remain skeptical.  They are a bit to common, IMHO, to be prototypes and maybe it's the lighting, but some of these look lighter in tone than OG controllers.

I could see these having been part of original dev kits before the final connector style was developed, but I wouldn't see that as being a prototype.  That's more final-version, developer hardware and there is a difference. Also, these are marked SCPH-1080 on the back, which is I'd think was more of a production code and, likely, might not have been on a prototype.  Furthermore, they are marked "Made in China", where prototypes, I'd assume, would be made in Japan since that' s where the console was developed.  I wouldn't think SONY would take the time to add that type of identification marks stamped into the injection mold for protos, but honestly I don't know.

Anyway, none of these listing have any information on these controllers nor did google searching provide me with anything useful.  What were these, really?

Playstation 1 PS1 Prototype RJ11 Telephone Jack Controller RARE! - Picture 2 of 5

Playstation 1 PS1 Prototype RJ11 Telephone Jack Controller RARE! - Picture 3 of 5

Playstation 1 PS1 Prototype RJ11 Telephone Jack Controller RARE! - Picture 5 of 5

Edited by RH
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 2

most common prototype award

for 380$ he could unscrew the thing and show us inside, takes 5 minutes, but that would kill any potential sale so it's better to keep it a mystery.

there's an adapter that may or may not be related, but i'm too lazy to care

https://www.reddit.com/r/ps2/comments/l0v6p3/any_clue_what_this_weird_ps1ps2_controller_port/

12 minutes ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

most common prototype award

for 380$ he could unscrew the thing and show us inside, takes 5 minutes, but that would kill any potential sale so it's better to keep it a mystery.

there's an adapter that may or may not be related, but i'm too lazy to care

https://www.reddit.com/r/ps2/comments/l0v6p3/any_clue_what_this_weird_ps1ps2_controller_port/

I've found lots of examples of these, but no details.  They all appear to have the same case and cable.  I think it is something.  I just doubt it's a proto.  I mean, yes, it could be faked, whatever it is, but these things don't move fast and, honestly, most people have pipe-dream pricing on these considering they've sat on eBay and haven't moved for ages.

• 4 weeks later...
There are hotel and demo machines which use controllers with the RJ-11, though I don't recall any with a PS1 standard controller.

I did a search for lodgenet PlayStation controller and found a UKian replying to an X post, recalling that these controllers were indeed used in hotels / public units which streamed games: https://x.com/Borman18/status/1636880873441075205

The N64 / GameCube versions don't go for much. I wonder if these were mainly used outside of the USA and that is why they don't pop up much. 

Either way, the seller assumed too much and is lying about what they know about this controller. I would not approach the seller by stating that they are lying, if you are interested in buying it; however, I recommend linking them information to the research. It seems like the hotel controllers are known as on-command controllers over there, so maybe you could do some more research using that term.