IGNORED

Game Debate #214: The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker

Rate it  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    • Ghost of Tsushima

6/10

I'm the opposite of defaultgen. I hated looking for the triforce pieces and it really killed the last part of the game for me. I never bothered finishing it because of that treasure hunt. The world was really fun though and I liked the story and pirate theme.

• Like 1

This one has an interesting historical aspect for me, because it’s the only Zelda game I’ve actually completed! That includes most of the side quests too.

I got busy with studies in the 90s and when time was more available, the GameCube was the platform that rekindled my passion for games with Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker. Both games I’ve still kept until this day. As a somewhat reluctant RPG gamer, this game caught my attention pretty early on and it just kept sucking me into its cartoonish world with great visuals, atmosphere, and a solid plot and puzzle elements. 

Is it the best Zelda game ever? I dunno. Is it fun? Yep! 10/10.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10/10 one of my favorite games.  I loved the sailing and exploration.  I just wish they had made the underwater world more expansive and explorative.  I also liked the graphics, more because they were clean, bright and easy on the eyes than for the style.  The art style was still great though.

Edited by CMR
  • Love 1

I haven't played this enough to rate it.  The one time I started was on the GC version and it was immediately after finishing another 3d Zelda.  That was a mistake as I got to one of the first dungeons and encountered a puzzle that was almost identical to one I'd solved in the last game.  I decided I needed some distance and just never came back.

. . . someday

4 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Always wanted to play this but never had a Cube.  I'm big fan of cell shading in games.  But at this point I don't see a way to access Wind Waker beyond emulation and I don't really care to play on the PC.

Do you have a Wii U?

And you should get over your avoidance of PC, the Dolphin emulator is amazing.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Gentlegamer said:

Do you have a Wii U?

And you should get over your avoidance of PC, the Dolphin emulator is amazing.

Dude, I hear you.  But I'm a pretty firm couch gamer for anything requiring a significant amount of time.  

do have a Wii U.  Somewhere around here...

12 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Dude, I hear you.  But I'm a pretty firm couch gamer for anything requiring a significant amount of time.  

do have a Wii U.  Somewhere around here...

My gaming PC is connected to my 4k TV

Find your Wii U and get WW HD, and TP HD

Edited by Gentlegamer
  • Like 1

4/10, considered a 3/10 but I dunno. There's at least 5 zelda games I would play before this one, and honestly I'd probably put up with ones I don't really like that much before I revisited this one. Even if it wasn't the gameplay itself that lost me, the constant deal-breaker is just the Great Loading Screen. Like imagine Freelancer but with nothing interesting happening and that's every single time you want to leave an island. I rate this like I rate most square games: looks pretty and sounds nice but not fun to play. My opinion: Buy the soundtrack instead, better use of time and money.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 2

9 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

It’s the only console Zelda I haven’t played. Not a fan of the graphical direction they went, AT ALL, but am willing to give it a go if ever brought over to a console I care about. I won’t ever play it on the Gamecube as it’s my least liked controller design ever

Fair deterrence. If I weren't a huge Zelda mark, the graphics would have turned me off even 20 years ago. The GC controller really is love or hate; I think the WaveBird is the best wireless ever.

Thankfully they fixed the endless sailing issues in the rereleases.

13 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

It’s the only console Zelda I haven’t played. Not a fan of the graphical direction they went, AT ALL, but am willing to give it a go if ever brought over to a console I care about. I won’t ever play it on the Gamecube as it’s my least liked controller design ever

You could sketchy as it is use Dolphin, 1.5GB ISO of it, and a controller you prefer these days.  This isn't on you, not directly, but I've condemned that attitude against 'celda' for decades now as it just seems like a petty excuse unless the art is so offensive that it causes some form of discomfort then I'd see it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I've condemned that attitude against 'celda' for decades now as it just seems like a petty excuse unless the art is so offensive that it causes some form of discomfort then I'd see it.

I'm getting flashbacks to console warrior forum junkie days just reading "celda".

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You could sketchy as it is use Dolphin, 1.5GB ISO of it, and a controller you prefer these days.  This isn't on you, not directly, but I've condemned that attitude against 'celda' for decades now as it just seems like a petty excuse unless the art is so offensive that it causes some form of discomfort then I'd see it.

I didn’t even know other people hated the look of it at that time. I was 12 when it came out and there were just certain kinds of animation or art styles I hated as a kid and still do. The Windwaker was one of them along with Jimmy Neutron and Angela Anaconda. Certain types of art styles just turn me off. 

Back then I had no idea it was “the thing” to hate on Wind Waker  for the art. All the kids I knew were talking about the PS2 and couldn’t give two shakes about what was going on with Zelda. It was all about GTA Vice City.

I didn’t come to realize the general “popular” hatred for Wind Wakers art style until I started collecting in 2011/12.