IGNORED

What games do your kids, partners, or family enjoy?

Editorials Team · Posted

The topic came to mind because my boys have started a billion games recently, and with dad's collection size I don't see any signs of it slowing down anytime soon

Breath of the Wild - All three of my boys have started this.  The oldest is actually pretty far, having completed one divine beast, progressed through parts of several others, and I believe he has enough hearts frm the master sword (he just hasn't figured out how to reach it yet).

Tears of the Kingdom - All three of them are also playing through this at the same time.  I initially cried foul at such a thing, but it hasn't seemed to bother any of them.  They also roped me into finally starting my own playthrough of this, though the oldest is once again relatively far in, and way ahead of me.

Age of Calamity - They're all playing this too.  Notice a trend?

Super Mario Odyssey - All of them have started it, and I think all 3 have reached the city world, which I think is at least halfway through.

Astro Bot - They all beat it, and they all go back to find collectables.

Borderlands 2 - Currently playing through it with my oldest, though it's slow going when you limit it to 30 minutes a week.  I personally had more than enough of this gameplay with the first game, but he likes it.

Horizon Zero - One of them is a few hours in, but it's a bit advanced for a 7-year-old.  Probably needs to go on hiatus.

Monster Hunter World - Was started, but the slow pacing and ramp-up was kind of a bust.

Ultimate Chicken Horse - Our current go-to 4 player game...

Duck Game - ...or at least it was until I introduced them to this last weekend.

Cruis'n Blast - The youngest hit a wall moving up the Normal difficulty, but this is still a regular in the rotation.

Madden - They're crazy about football in general, so this is a regular.  I imagine it will pick up again as the season nears.  Especially since they are excited (for me) that a 49er is on the cover @a3quit4s @MrWunderful

Other games started include Hollow Knight, Metroid Dread, Metroid Prime, etc., but in general were too challenging and put on the back burner.

My wife doesn't play games at all any more.  Before we had kids, we were into Katamari, playing the Wii Mario games and both of us could kill at Guitar Hero games.  Specifically, she was better at rhythm and I was better at the lead stuff.  I love our life now and I don't look back wishing things were the way they once use to be, but that season of a few years was a definitely our most fun.  The last game my wife got into before kids was Rhythm Heaven on the DS.  Since then, we tried to play a couple "marital" co-op games like ah... what was that cooking game and It Take Two.

My kids love my games.  They use to play a lot of NES but since the Switch showed up, they'ved downgraded (lol) to mostly playing Switch titles and DS/3DS titles.  There general favorites are Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Tears of the Kingdom, LEGO Worlds, Mario Party and Mario Kart. Fortnite has literally never entered our house, and the kids are aware of Minecraft but have never played it.

Editorials Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, RH said:

Fortnite has literally never entered our house, and the kids are aware of Minecraft but have never played it.

Ditto

It's come up a few times (as well as inquiries about people having their own individual Switches) but I always veto.

Right now this is a family activity, to look forward to, for controlled amounts of time that are scheduled into the week.  No strangers.  And if they want to "see" friends they can bike over in person.

This is obviously not sustainable indefinitely.

9 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Ditto

It's come up a few times (as well as inquiries about people having their own individual Switches) but I always veto.

Right now this is a family activity, to look forward to, for controlled amounts of time that are scheduled into the week.  No strangers.  And if they want to "see" friends they can bike over in person.

This is obviously not sustainable indefinitely.

Wow, our experiences are quite similar.  My kids do get to game, but it's about like how we often gamed in the early-90s, though honestly, I played a lot more games as a kid than my kids do.  They are 13 and 10 and they earn points for doing chores and they can cash it in for things like small candies, video games or TV.  This typically allots to 30 minutes a week, however, gaming time can just be given.  The reward is more for them to have gaming time at their own discretion, as is the TV time.  We probably watch something together on the TV every other night, but they only get about 30 minutes a week at their own discretion and there's always an option to share the TV time with the sibling OR play a multiplayer game and share.

So yes, I'm a guy with thousands of games I've collected, I think I now have over 50 Switch titles and... my kids play about one hour a week.  But, to be fair, I play less than them, but I digress.

I randomly introduce games to my 6-year-old here and there, but the only ones she really seemsd interested in have been Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. If it were up to her, she'd just play Roblox 24/7.

My wife doesn't play games at all, but it's all good because I've got many portable devices to play on while she watches shows on the TV, or vice versa, so we can always hang out together.

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

@Reed Rothchild I finally have a good reason to have something 49er related in the game room, I need a giant ass poster of the madden cover to plaster somewhere lmao

Mccaffrey‘s on the Madden cover?  Well, at least he had a good run.  💀 

The kids are really into Mario Party 2 and Mario Tennis to a lesser extent right now.  A lot of Super Mario World and Mario 3 too.  The younger is only 4 so they gravitate towards stuff she can handle (she’s got some skills for her age).  The NES gets less use than it could because of the hassle of getting the carts in and working and out again.  Got shitty death grip pins in there.  I’ve considered ponying up some $$ for a more modern easy solution.  Something with make-it-look-good on modern TV stuff.   Anyways, they play more SNES and N64 because I don’t need to assist.  Donkey Kong Country.  The older one does Minecraft stuff too.  He’s actually pretty big into chess right now and just discovered GothamChess.  🤷.  
My SO likes puzzle games.  Tetris.  Dr Mario.  She’s also got a soft spot for a good RPG.

My wife primarily plays Sims 4 (PC) or Puzzle Quest (DS) on her down time but she's also quite a fiend at Pac-Man and Dr. Mario. She actually set the high score on a Pac-Man cabinet at a local restaurant a few years ago while we were waiting for our order.

My sons are about to turn 15, so these days it's all Roblox, Fortnite, CoD or Madden with their online friends. We enjoyed a bit of Shredder's Revenge and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a couple years back, before they got too good to hang out with dad. One of my sons seems to want to play through Super Metroid every few months. He's managed at least 3 or 4 complete playthroughs without needing my assistance. Almost brings a tear to my eye.

My little brother used to do quite a bit of PC gaming. He's backed off of it over the last couple years, busy with his fiancé and kids.

There aren't many other gamers in my family that I know of. My mother used to play some Tetris or Dr. Mario back in the day but hasn't done any of that in decades. Dad hasn't touched a video game since his last few rounds of River Raid back in the mid-80s.

• Like 1

Well my 12 year old has a Switch and I have that app on my phone so it's easy to pull this up.

Minecraft
Among Us
Splatoon 3
Stardew Valley
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Wonder
Pokken Tournament
Pocket Stables
Pokemon Cafe Remix

Uses the old Nintendo system apps too.

Also sometimes borrows some of mine in the past like Kirby Return to Dreamland, Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild

My girlfriend just started playing Bayonetta and is hooked, so I’ll probably never see my Steam Deck again. Actually she’s really gravitated toward that device and away from her Switch, so it may be time to get her a Steam Deck of her own. She also likes Baldur’s Gate III and Stardew Valley with mods.

My sister, her husband, and two adult daughters love their PS4 and play a lot of Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption 2, and other narrative-driven games.

My brother and his daughter play his PS5. She (6 years old) loves Tony Hawk and Astrobot iirc, but kids her age change their interest often so she could be playing something new by now. His wife is a big JRPG fan.

My dad doesn’t play games anymore but he used to log hours into Day of Defeat.

My wifes favorite game as a kid was Hook on NES.

Back in like 2005, when we were dating, I bought her a copy of Super Puzzle Fighter on PS1 and she has played the hell out of it since then.

My two girls are into Wii Sports Bowling for the most part, but my youngest liked sitting on my lap while we played Stray on PS5 when it was new.  The older daughter played thru South Park: Stick of Truth when it came out on PS3 I believe.

• Like 1

Oldest- cartoony platformers, rpgs, and building design games. He recently finished Cuphead, Miitopia, and is working on Undertale. Lots of time on various Marios, Minecraft, and things like Mario Maker and Game Builder Garage.

Middle- many of the same as her older brother. Also lots of Kirby, Pokémon, and Genesis Era sonic. Very close to completion of Cuphead, and has been known to call various youtubers scrubs for needing to cheat at cuphead or play on simple mode to defeat it! 😅 Less into design games as her older brother.

Youngest- primarily mario and design games. She loves mario in all forms and jumps at the chance to play a mario game she's never tried before. Also big fan of Minecraft.

Girlfriend- MMOs with her brothers, and survival games like Don't Starve.

Graphics Team · Posted

Nobody in my family plays video games, but my parents and my sister are always willing to try out some shoot-em-ups or early arcade-style stuff when I visit them.

We actually just had a family vacation earlier this month and I got my sister to play through co-op Life Force [NES] from beginning to end. It was great.

[T-Pac]

Administrator · Posted

My spouse will sometimes play games with me to humor me / support, but I only if I push them to hehe.  Not really their thing, but they did play Sackboy with me a little bit, and we played through some of It Takes Two but they really struggled with it.  

Administrator · Posted

My wife really loves the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games, and more recently played through Baldurs Gate 3 like 4 times. We also play a lot of Call of Duty together, despite the massive skill gap. 

My wife plays Half Life 1 and 2, Sims, GTA San Andreas, and Animal Crossing. Dabbles in the mobile games a bit. We go mission for mission sometimes on GTA but don't really play anything together. I tried to get her into 'It Takes Two' but she hates platforming games and doesn't take advice so that didn't last very long.