IGNORED

The rising BIN prices upon negotiation, is it becoming a pandemic?

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

There are probably groups specific to this interest and will contain a higher concentration of these items. I'm not talking about Marketplace.

If you can find a group that focuses on not just Japanese imports, but specifically PS1/PS2 Japan Taikenbans / Hibaihins, by all means, do let me know 🙂  I certainly haven't seen one.

By the way, I'm not disagreeing regarding other groups - there are other options out there.  My point is merely that ebay does still serve a purpose, and I've been able to find things occasionally on ebay that I haven't found ANYWHERE else including small groups, large groups, and international markets.

14 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I don't know why anyone uses eBay anymore. What are you buying that you can't buy in your local collecting community? If your community isn't big enough to have items you need, expand your community by joining Facebook groups with like interests. I haven't bought a video game from eBay in a decade.

Some use databases to find stores locally. We have our Retro Game Store database here:  https://www.videogamesage.com/databases/retro-video-game-stores/

I know I have mentioned it to you around the time you shared your videos and I don't recall you adding the stores you visited in your community. If you want to support local stores, post them, but please don't criticize people for not using local stores and you're keeping your local stores to yourself.

14 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

you can choose sellers on eBay charging you their fees, or physical shops charging you their rent and taxes.🤠

but i agree, go local if you can! it's just that so many places have no game shops, so internet is the only viable choice for lots of people on this planet.

My local video game shop gave me a % discount because the label on my perfect dark was messed up. The last time I bought something from them, I got a $15.00 store credit on a game I was trying to buy. I do agree with you if eBay the only place to buy stuff from.

6 minutes ago, thrashncrash said:

My local video game shop gave me a % discount because the label on my perfect dark was messed up. The last time I bought something from them, I got a $15.00 store credit on a game I was trying to buy. I do agree with you if eBay the only place to buy stuff from.

Some shops are totally cool like this, I’ve been to shops where their pricing was pretty outdated due to declining prices and asked if they can double check the price and some will scoff and do nothing and others really will take the time and see what they can do. And yes I have pointed out to shops when they drastically undercharging as well 

Thinking more about OPs point, I don’t think I have ever negotiated with a seller or BIN on a price and not have the sale go through, much less have the seller use that to inflate the price of a game. I’m quite certain that I have won items at auction and had the sale cancelled only to see it re-listed for sale again. Reporting eBay sellers is the most useless function ever by the way. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, doner24 said:

To add, they are also some of the biggest time wasters, especially when I was happy to send them extras pics and they often started to turn into a penpal, not an interested buyer. There are plenty enough buyers to just add them to my blocked bidder list and move on now. 

I started doing this years ago and it's worked out. Generally, people who buy video games and trading cards are the worst buyers, by far. I have fewer issues with grandmas who buy a used VCR or cigarette rolling machine than a 20-40 yr old buying a GameCube controller. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Some use databases to find stores locally. We have our Retro Game Store database here:  https://www.videogamesage.com/databases/retro-video-game-stores/

I know I have mentioned it to you around the time you shared your videos and I don't recall you adding the stores you visited in your community. If you want to support local stores, post them, but please don't criticize people for not using local stores and you're keeping your local stores to yourself.

I don't see a database, it's just a list of provinces and states.

29 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I don't see a database, it's just a list of provinces and states.

That's how they are organized. Click on a location and see stores and add stores. Don't be afraid to click and explore. You got this. I believe in you.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

That's how they are organized. Click on a location and see stores and add stores. Don't be afraid to click and explore. You got this. I believe in you.

I have no recollection of you asking me to do this and I've never seen that section before. I didn't even know you could add stores.

I'm in Newfoundland for a bit, I'll be going shopping over the next few days.

19 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I don't know why anyone uses eBay anymore. What are you buying that you can't buy in your local collecting community? If your community isn't big enough to have items you need, expand your community by joining Facebook groups with like interests. I haven't bought a video game from eBay in a decade.

I don’t see using facebook as an alternative to ebay. 

1. I can’t believe anyone really uses facebook anymore (Ive never had a social media account beyond forums and don’t ever intend to change that)

2. You really think practically ANY area has a retro game community SO robust that it can support all the little niches that collectors get into? Im in NJ the most densely populated US state and there ain’t shit locally. 

3. Now if you want to travel all over the place and still consider the entire tri-state (NY/NJ/PA) local then you will find a dozen stores maybe. Which all use pricecharting to price their limited selection of products , plus markup cause “muh brick and mortar.”

So you get to skip using ebay in order to pay more than what it cost on ebay to begin with. I don’t see how your suggestion works well at all

• Agree 2

I will defend Facebook a little because I have many Groups in my area where items are traded frequently, and often other collectors are willing to help out if you are searching for something specific.  These clubs are called things like Area Retro Gamers, Classic Arcade Club of Area, Area Retro Computing, Nearby Area Retro Gamers Society, Area Pinball and Arcade Club, and that doesn't even get into the General Buy/Sell/Trade and garage sale Groups.

These Groups have a lot of the same members, but those members often will sponsor meet ups or other arcade and pinball competitions where you can meet like-minded folks and find people buying and selling.  It works a lot like forum sites in that it is more of an individual connection and things are more reasonably priced.  If you already have a Facebook account, then I'd encourage you to seek out these groups for your area as well.  It has really changed my feed to stuff I'm actually interested in as a side benefit.

I still look on Ebay too, but unless I am looking for something VERY specific, I often filter on what is closest to me as a way to localize a bit.  I generally don't use local stores.  They all tend to have the same common stuff, and I almost never want to buy anything.  However, there are a couple that offer repair in my area which is nice.

As for the actual topic of the thread, I've never had a seller increase the BIN on me after making an offer, but I have experienced the phenomenon of OBOs being auto rejected until I got to about 95% of the BIN price.  I think in every case that has happened, I've just decided not to buy the item.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 9:04 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Alright, I have to ask because it’s driving me nuts. I’ve never heard/seen it called ONO anywhere else before. Is that what they call it in Australia?

I always thought ONO and OBO are used interchangeably. I never really took notice of where the terms originated from but I suspect these are universal terms more or less.

14 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I don’t see using facebook as an alternative to ebay. 

1. I can’t believe anyone really uses facebook anymore (Ive never had a social media account beyond forums and don’t ever intend to change that)

2. You really think practically ANY area has a retro game community SO robust that it can support all the little niches that collectors get into? Im in NJ the most densely populated US state and there ain’t shit locally. 

3. Now if you want to travel all over the place and still consider the entire tri-state (NY/NJ/PA) local then you will find a dozen stores maybe. Which all use pricecharting to price their limited selection of products , plus markup cause “muh brick and mortar.”

So you get to skip using ebay in order to pay more than what it cost on ebay to begin with. I don’t see how your suggestion works well at all

You should try it. I don't use Facebook for much of its intended purpose, I join a bunch of collecting groups and then I get to see when people post things for sale in those groups, it does make collecting easier. I have a local group I buy cheap things from but nobody in there seems to post much of anything uncommon. I join another group for high end items and anything posted for sale has to be over $100 so I like using that one to buy the cool stuff. Then another group specific to video game art which is a pretty niche hobby but very active. You'd be surprised how many other collectors you can find with similar interests.

The original complaint with eBay was about its inconvenience, not its pricing so I offered another option with more convenience. You're arguing my option is not as cheap but I didn't consider price, only convenience. If you are more concerned with price, then you need to deal with the inconvenience of eBay, you can't have both.

Price = inconvenience of eBay

Convenience = extra cost

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

You should try it. I don't use Facebook for much of its intended purpose, I join a bunch of collecting groups and then I get to see when people post things for sale in those groups, it does make collecting easier. I have a local group I buy cheap things from but nobody in there seems to post much of anything uncommon. I join another group for high end items and anything posted for sale has to be over $100 so I like using that one to buy the cool stuff. Then another group specific to video game art which is a pretty niche hobby but very active. You'd be surprised how many other collectors you can find with similar interests.

The original complaint with eBay was about its inconvenience, not its pricing so I offered another option with more convenience. You're arguing my option is not as cheap but I didn't consider price, only convenience. If you are more concerned with price, then you need to deal with the inconvenience of eBay, you can't have both.

Convenience = extra cost

Even focusing on convenience, I don’t see how facebook is any better. 

I go on ebay, find things I want, buy it, it shows up to my door. If there is a problem, open a case on ebay and get refunded. 

OR

MAYBE find a group that focuses on things I’m interested in, then MAYBE find someone selling the specific thing I’m looking for, then have some sort of back and forth to setup a sale. Then if there is a problem have to deal with a specific person that may or may not end in a satisfactory result.

I just don’t see how it’s more convenient 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Convenience = extra cost

Can you detail this? Because it feels like at any time I can search eBay on my underwear and find exactly what I'm looking for in a range of conditions and it'll be at my house in 3-5. All this just by typing in what I'm looking for. 

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Can you detail this? Because it feels like at any time I can search eBay on my underwear and find exactly what I'm looking for in a range of conditions and it'll be at my house in 3-5. All this just by typing in what I'm looking for. 

Yeah I have no clue where ebay = inconvenient came from. 

I'll take pressing a few buttons over having to meet with randos from the internet in person any day. How an earth is that convenient? 

15 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Even focusing on convenience, I don’t see how facebook is any better. 

I go on ebay, find things I want, buy it, it shows up to my door. If there is a problem, open a case on ebay and get refunded. 

OR

MAYBE find a group that focuses on things I’m interested in, then MAYBE find someone selling the specific thing I’m looking for, then have some sort of back and forth to setup a sale. Then if there is a problem have to deal with a specific person that may or may not end in a satisfactory result.

I just don’t see how it’s more convenient 

12 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

My first comment was towards the person complaining about the inconvenience of eBay and people refusing his offers or cancelling his purchase, you don't have any of that on Facebook. I understand YOU particularly don't have issues with eBay, that's fine.

Administrator · Posted
On 7/24/2024 at 9:13 PM, Code Monkey said:

This is what people are replying to.  Your comment was pretty broad, and people are explaining why they still use ebay.  It's pretty simple.