1. 1. August Movie Picks

• Hundreds of Beavers (2024)
    • Beastmaster (1982)
    • Exit Speed (2008)
    • Housebound (2014)
    • Sharknado (2013)

This poll is closed to new votes

I have 2 possibles.

Exit Speed - about a group of people on a bus who run afoul with a biker gang - they wind up in a scrapyard under siege where they have to improvise weapons to defend themselves.

This is one heckuva a great movie - I can't go into it all since virtually anything said about it would be a spoiler.  Fans of Identity or Usual Suspects should dig this one.

Both are available free on Roku.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Tabonga said:

This is one heckuva a great movie - I can't go into it all since virtually anything said about it would be a spoiler.  Fans of Identity or Usual Suspects should dig this one.

I haven't seen that since it came out, but definitely liked it quite a bit.  You got my vote.

17 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I haven't seen that since it came out, but definitely liked it quite a bit.  You got my vote.

It is one of the very rare movies that kept me guessing all along - and the guesses were invariably wrong.  It is a real sleeper.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Murray said:

Hundreds of Beavers! 

This movie rocks. I talked about it in the "What are you watching thread":

On 5/27/2024 at 4:52 PM, G-type said:

It's like if Buster Keaton had Adobe After Effects. It combines Looney Tunes and video game logic. It's totally bonkers. (You can watch it for free on Hoopla using your public library card.)

Edited by G-type
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, G-type said:

This was an early childhood favorite of mine. I used to try to imitate the sword twirling move with sticks.

Yep, I watched it a lot too.

Watching a lot of the '80s sword and sandal fantasy numbers is pretty tough for me nowadays,but this is one that remains very entertaining.  I actually just dropped $40 last night to order the 4K, since it was of the big remaining gaps in my nostalgia movie collection.

47 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yep, I watched it a lot too.

Watching a lot of the '80s sword and sandal fantasy numbers is pretty tough for me nowadays,but this is one that remains very entertaining.  I actually just dropped $40 last night to order the 4K, since it was of the big remaining gaps in my nostalgia movie collection.

That and Deathstalker were ones that generated way too many sequels (like more than zero) that were increasingly shoddy.  Beastmaster also had a tv series - which somewhat surprisingly lasted 3 seasons. 

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

That and Deathstalker were ones that generated way too many sequels (like more than zero) that were increasingly shoddy.  Beastmaster also had a tv series - which somewhat surprisingly lasted 3 seasons. 

I sold my Deathstalker blu right as the pandemic kicked off for over $100 😆

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I sold my Deathstalker blu right as the pandemic kicked off for over $100 😆

Profiteer!

I have the four of them on laserdisc - the last two are going for quite a bit last time I checked.

Edited by Tabonga

updated master list and added poll:

A man tries to become the greatest fur trapper by defeating hundreds of beavers in this Looney Toons cartoon come to life.

One of the better of the sword & sandals flicks of the 80s. Dar can communicate with animals and seeks to avenge his father's killing.

A group of people on a bus who run afoul with a biker gang - they wind up in a scrapyard under siege where they have to improvise weapons to defend themselves.

Fans of Identity or Usual Suspects should dig this one. It will keep you guessing all the way through.

A freak tornado scoops up sharks out of the ocean and dumps them on Los Angeles.

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2024 at 11:16 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

but I'll watch them all, especially my copy of Beastmaster as soon as it arrives.

The other option is to randomly turn on HBO (Hey Beastmaster's On) 😉

Edited by G-type

• The title was changed to August Movie: Housebound
Posted (edited)

Housebound was a very engaging thriller. Lots of twists and turns, and some suspenseful moments. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before. Its a tough movie to discuss without spoiling anything for the people that haven't watched it yet. I can't even talk about what movie it reminded me of... because then I might spoil THAT movie. (Well I suppose I can hide it with a spoiler tag)

Spoiler

It had some aspects that reminded me of Cobweb, (but I think Housebound is the better movie. but Cobweb is scarier)

Edited by G-type