IGNORED

question for the old timers.

4 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I spent the last 2 weeks converting VHS tapes to digital video. Halfway through it got fuzzy and I had to search Google for how to clean the VCR heads.

You have any good guides for covering VHS video to digital?

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

12 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Spend the money and get something like this, it's what I used. Though I didn't realize it doesn't work in Linux so I had to borrow a laptop for the whole operation.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0029U2YSA?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

9 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

we used cleaners like this back then

__philips_vhs_cleaner_______sa_1719146498_606c6a41_progressive.jpg.157788abbbe28b660ad080b5508d94bb.jpg

It's unbelievably easy to just take the lid off the VCR and clean the heads with some rubbing alcohol. 30 seconds later it's like new.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Go to your local library and ask if they have a machine already, many offer the hardware free for use.  And if you only have a small number of tapes it's not bad.  Plus they have pretty good machines that are well maintained normally.

I have an ION VCR 2 PC I got at thrift that works pretty well after cleaning it.  Basically a VHS player with a USB hookup to your PC, finding the software took a bit but it does the job.

Another good option (that's a bit more expensive) is a VHS and DVD player combo.  Plenty out there where you can pop in the VHS, a blank DVD and push a button and come back later.  They upscale a bit as well (and take inputs) so I use them with LaserDiscs too.  

• Like 2

Most of the educational stuff isn't very useable since you need a special player along with a pc with a program to use them - this one is atypical in that while it has some some features for a pc interface you can watch the whole collapse on a regular player.  As you can imagine the educational stuff had low print runs.

I first saw that footage in the mid sixties in high school on an 8mm film loop.

ezgif-6-715d3783ea.jpg.e10e8396e37bfa562ee920ec2725dc06.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 6:54 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

If you have a capture card like an Elgato, you can use that.  I bought an RCA to HDMI converter and hooked the VCR straight into it with that.  Unlike playing games using this method, you don't have to deal with input lag on pure video.  A couple of years ago I converted all of my parents' home movies this way and they turned out great.  I was even able to use a cheap editing software to clean it up and add nice transitions. 

Edited by Jicsan
  • Thanks 1