IGNORED

VGS July 2024 Contest [ENDED]

Events Team · Posted

@PII @Gloves @Bearcat-Doug @mbd39 @Richardhead @Dr. Morbis @NESfiend @docile tapeworm @BlackVega @SuperJimtendo @G-type @RH @Red @8bitdontquit  @wongojack @a3quit4s @Murray @Krunch @TriHart @Abner Stomps @TWarwick07 @Kguillemette @Scrobins @Deadeye @Aguy @spacepup @drxandy @TDIRunner @Mega Tank @Splain @nesmaster14 @RegularGuyGamer @Gaia Gensouki @Jicsan @ZeldaFan042 @darkchylde28 @DefaultGen @Brickman @the_wizard_666 @JVOSS @koifish @acromite53 @KokiriChild @Jeevan @Bonanza125 @Lago @Avgn Gamer @CT @multiboot @ndsnfr @Link

------------------------

(If any of you would like to be removed from this ping list for future events, please let me know and I'll take your name off the list! Or, likewise, if you'd like to be added to the list, let me know as well! For these events, I ping people who have participated in previous events, and/or people who I think would be generally interested in future events.)

------------------------

1ST PLACE WINNER
mbd39 - 1,487,410

2ND PLACE WINNER
NESfiend - 1,241,540

3RD PLACE WINNER
Red - 178,360

------------------------

Well well well... been awhile! Sorry I've been MIA in regards to events for a little while, life's been a little rough to me this year, but I'M BACK and ready to start hosting some more events for y'all! One change I want to quickly take note of this year is that we're mostly abandoning the holiday theming for these contests. That doesn't mean there won't be any holiday-themed contests going forward, it just means they aren't nearly all going to be holiday-themed anymore. This is simply to make it easier for us to figure out good contest games, since now we just need to find games that would be good for a contest, rather than games that would be good for a contest and fit the theme of any particular holiday. Only so many games out there that fit both of those criteria!

Anyway, that all being said... for this month's challenge, we're going to be playing a personal favorite of mine, Super Punch-Out!!

logo.gif

(...To clarify, the SNES game, not the arcade game, haha.)

For those of you who haven't played it, here's how it works: Super Punch-Out!! is a boxing game in which you must fight several opponents in order to slowly work your way up to becoming the W.V.B.A. world champion! You play with the camera being behind your player character, directly facing your opponent head-on. The Y button throws a left punch, the B button a right punch, and the A button a super punch. The D-pad is used to dodge or guard yourself, and to aim your punches. Press left to dodge left, right to dodge right, or down to duck. If you're not pressing anything on the d-pad, you're automatically guarding your gut. If you hold up on the D-pad, you'll raise your fists and guard your face. When you throw a punch, if you're not pressing anything on the D-pad, you'll throw a gut punch. If you hold up on the D-pad when you punch, you'll instead throw a head punch.

Both you and your opponent's healthbars are displayed at the top of the screen. As you're fighting your opponent, for every punch you successfully land, you'll build up your power meter on the bottom of the screen. Once it fills up and reaches the S, you'll be able to utilize the aforementioned super punches with the A button. If you're hit at any point, the meter will drain and you'll have to fill it back up to the top. Super punches are slower, but particularly strong punches you can throw, or you can throw faster, speedier super punches instead. When the power meter is full, you can either push the A button once to throw a strong super punch which will deal a lot of damage to your opponent if it's not blocked, or you can double-tap the A button to start throwing super fast, but lower damage super punches in rapid succession.

Each round has a time limit of 3 minutes. If you knock out your opponent 3 times, you get a TKO and win automatically. Otherwise, you have to knock out your opponent, and they're too weak to get back up. The same applies to you- if you're knocked out three times, your opponent wins. If you get knocked out and you can't get back up, your opponent wins. If you're knocked out, you get back up by mashing all of the buttons as fast as possible. If neither you nor your opponent is knocked out within 3 minutes, your opponent wins automatically. Additionally, when you knock your opponent down, you can mash all of the buttons to regain a bit of health as they try to get back up, similar to you getting up when you're knocked down, which is very useful. Bit of a mouthful to explain, but when you play it it's very easy to understand. It's a very simple, fairly self-explanatory, and very fun game!

------------------------

Now, with all that said, the rules for this contest are as follows: Boot up the game, start a new game in Championship Mode, and... play through the game, working your way through all the circuits! Get as far in to the game as you can, the goal of this contest is to get as high of a score as you can in each of the circuits. Once you've beaten the game, or are otherwise satisfied with your progress, go back to the main menu, and select Continue > Your Save File > Records View Mode > Personal Records, take a photo or screenshot of that screen, and submit your scores! Your scores across all of the circuits will be combined to form your total score for the contest!

Prizes will be dealt out to those who end up with the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd highest scores, respectively. As per usual, the prizes up for grabs are as follows:

1st Place:  $25 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent
2nd Place:  $20 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent
3rd Place:  $15 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent

The only further stipulations to the contest are as follows:

• As you would expect, no save states, cheat codes, slow motion, turbo controllers, etc. are allowed. Anything that would give you any kind of advantage over playing the base game on real hardware is not allowed. If it feels like cheating, consider it not allowed.
  • In-game exploits/glitches which allow you to increase your score in a way that wasn't intended are not allowed. If you're unsure about whether or not something would count as an exploit, feel free to PM me and ask about it.
  • You may replay individual circuits to increase your score in those particular circuits if you'd like, you don't have to start over from the very first circuit every time you'd like to improve your score.
  • When you submit your score, make sure your VGS username is visible somewhere within view of the photo/screenshot of your score. It could be a slip of paper with your VGS username written down on it, or a text document displaying your VGS username. Use whatever method you like, so long as your username is clearly visible alongside your score.
  • Only scores that have been achieved after this contest has started will be accepted.
  • If you've already submitted a score, and you end up getting a better score, you may of course submit the better score, and it will simply replace your previous score.

This event will last from now until 8/2/2024 at 11:59 PM EST, a little over 1 week from now. Once we make it past that deadline, that'll be the cutoff point for new score submissions. I'll tally everyone's final scores up, and deal out prizes accordingly!

Good luck, and I hope you all have fun! Remember that there are real prizes on the line here, so try your best!

• Like 3
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@mbd39 I was once decent at this one. Could run through it without a loss anyway. Doubt that’s even close to a winning score though.

You both want to play "Back To The Future."

tumblr_mxdpjroNy41relaado1_500.gif

Edited by PII
  • Haha 2

Generally I’m in for these but legit, the Punch-Out games are like the highest example of games that do not gel with me.

You guys have fun, though.  I’ll probably check in to check the scores.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Are you allowed to replay individual circuits or do you have to start from the beginning every time?

Oh yeah, good question. I'll go ahead and say that yeah, you can replay individual circuits to try to up your score. These contests are (in my mind, anyway) meant to be pretty casual so I don't want it feeling like you have to run a marathon every time you want to try and up your score.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
33 minutes ago, G-type said:

I've dabbled with this game, but never made any serious attempt to learn it. The farthest I could make it in NES game was Mr. Sandman.

I will say Super Punch-Out!! is definitely easier than the NES game, at least in my opinion. And to be fair, Mr. Sandman is pretty far!

3 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

giphy.gif

I'm sure someone will post a score...

......eventually...

I worked all weekend on my score but I'm afraid to post because someone else will try to beat it and I don't think I can do any better.

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I worked all weekend on my score but I'm afraid to post because someone else will try to beat it and I don't think I can do any better.

Honestly I am looking forward to the sudden influx of 7 different scores within the last 30 minutes of the contest, that'll be entertaining, haha.

On 7/28/2024 at 12:10 AM, ZeldaFreak said:

Oh yeah, good question. I'll go ahead and say that yeah, you can replay individual circuits to try to up your score. These contests are (in my mind, anyway) meant to be pretty casual so I don't want it feeling like you have to run a marathon every time you want to try and up your score.

Seems like this prohibits practicing a particular fighter in time attack mode, unless you do it under a different profile? I think that could raise your scores on personal records screen. Am I correct there?

Yup, points come from playing Championship Mode.  They are not stored for individual fighters so you have to play an entire circuit to record a score.

Best times are different.  Your file stores your best time for each fighter, no matter what mode you play.

When I played the game seriously, I used to do everything with one file.  I ended up maxing out the win-loss record at like 255-0 while building all my records.

• Like 1