IGNORED

How much do you tip?

Mega Tank

How much do usually you tip when you eat out?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How much do usually you tip when you eat out?

• It's for the birds. -Mr. Pink
    • 1 - 10%
    • 11 - 20%
    • Over 20%
    • It depends on the service.

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Wow, that's being quite presumptuous isn't it? Have no life that you can constantly eat out or constantly cook...

How about I throw it back at you, unless you have no life that you just eat to function, in which case perhaps it's time for a chicken/rice/broccoli diet. If your life is that busy that you can't use the food preparation time as quality time spent with your family, or eating out as time spent with the family / friends / colleagues, then imo it's a pretty bleak existence.

Well, it's pretty presumptuous of you to assume that food delivery is a waste of money for everyone. Sure, no one said it's for you, but plenty have said it works for them and explained why.

6 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Not trying to knock on anyone here,

You do that constantly. It's pretty much your gimmick.

• Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You do that constantly. It's pretty much your gimmick.

That's rich the guy who just got done saying that people who constantly eat out or cook don't have lives 🤣

Anyways, I'm proud that I don't do food delivery apps and don't see the need for them, but if it works for you or others, then so be it, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Either way, I'm loving this thread, it's off the rails with so many diverse opinions and thoughts.

9 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Everyone's seen how you post. We know how you operate.

It's a two way street bro, sorry if holding an unpopular opinion, such as not seeing the benefits of food delivery apps, offends you. I'm sure I'm in the minority but so be it.

Even for things like going on holiday and not being sure where to go and what to eat - yes, I could see the benefits then of ordering from a food app, but at the same time, isn't that half the fun, getting out and looking around whilst on holiday? 

Similarly, isn't part of the point of getting restaurant food the experience of eating out? I've seen the things that a lot of you post here that you cook; for a lot of meals, I can cook to a level where I'd never see the point of ordering spaghetti, for example, just to eat it in. It just blows my mind. 

Therefore the only advantage I can see is time, but then again, with a bit of thought and planning, doesn't seem like a huge advantage either. If I'm having a busy week then why the heck do I need to eat lobsters for dinner one night that week? 

As such, I just don't see much value at all in it.

6 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

It's a two way street bro, sorry if holding an unpopular opinion, such as not seeing the benefits of food delivery apps, offends you. I'm sure I'm in the minority but so be it.

It's not that that's offensive, it's your constant "I don't understand why people do x", then when it's explained, you double down on it. You seem to get your rocks off on it, then back down when the mods step in and then you play the victim. You've done it over and over, that the pattern is recognizable. This is a prime example.

As for how people get their food, your experience =/= others experience. There's plenty of reasons that they don't have time, or don't have the desire. You don't have to lord over your "Well I cook or go to a restaurant." Or did the no life crack touch a nerve? Because you keep coming back to that.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Similarly, isn't part of the point of getting restaurant food the experience of eating out?

You act like people don't order from chain restaurants through food delivery apps. Fast food or large chains are not going to taste much different in person or through delivery.

Perfect example. Little Caesars pizza is affordable for events. Who wants to drive out 10 minutes to go pick up pizza that may or may not be ready to then drive back carrying all the boxes for another 10 minutes. 20 minutes, assuming there's little to no traffic, parking, no line at the counter and the employees are actually competent enough to work efficiently. 

OR

I can just hop on their app, schedule a delivery or have it be delivered ASAP for a small fee, plus tip (optional) and have it literally delivered to the doorstep. I checked a previous order, it was a total of $9 in fees which included a $3 tip. For reference, it was a 3 - 5 mile drive, depending on the route they took.

Edited by Mega Tank

3 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

You act like people don't order from chain restaurants through food delivery apps. Fast food or large chains are not going to taste much different in person or through delivery.

Perfect example. Little Caesars pizza is affordable for events. Who wants to drive out 10 minutes to go pick up pizza that may or may not be ready to then drive back carrying all the boxes for another 10 minutes. 20 minutes, assuming there's little to no traffic, parking, no line at the counter and the employees are actually competent enough to work efficiently. 

OR

I can just hop on their app, schedule a delivery or have it be delivered ASAP for a small fee, plus tip (optional) and have it literally delivered to the doorstep. I checked a previous order, it was a total of $9 in fees which included a $3 tip. For reference, it was a 3 - 5 mile drive, depending on the route they took.

Pizza was standard for delivery even before delivery apps became a thing. 

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

It's not that that's offensive, it's your constant "I don't understand why people do x", then when it's explained, you double down on it. You seem to get your rocks off on it, then back down when the mods step in and then you play the victim. You've done it over and over, that the pattern is recognizable. This is a prime example.

I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind why others do the things they do. I have found in life that many times in life people do the things they do "just because" or out of habit, without really stopping to think about it. As such, what you referring to as "doubling down" is often just me trying to get a deeper understanding of why people do the things they do, especially if these things are different than the things I do.

What Mega Tank said  regarding delivery pizza makes a lot of sense to me; similarly, ordering group subs from Subway delivery-style also makes a lot of sense. Ordering a hamburger and fries from an app when I could do it myself for possibly a fraction of the price, catered to my exact taste, and having it fresh just doesn't make much sense to me. Hence why I'd be asking to understand the rationale behind it. Time is a factor, sure, but honestly how long does it take to make a burger, even if doing it from scratch?

4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Pizza was standard for delivery even before delivery apps became a thing. 

Again, it's like you choose to ignore what people post. Change it to any other big chain of food and the experience doesn't matter in person or delivery. It's about the convenience.

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

It's about the convenience.

I guess my question would be at what time does convenience end, and laziness begin? There seems to be a very fine line between these two words / concepts, similar to collector vs hoarder, and I'd venture a guess that at least some folks who use food apps do so as they just can't be assed to get food any other way. 

18 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I guess my question would be at what time does convenience end, and laziness begin? There seems to be a very fine line between these two words / concepts, similar to collector vs hoarder, and I'd venture a guess that at least some folks who use food apps do so as they just can't be assed to get food any other way. 

When getting food is an such an inconvenience you're willing to pay to have it delivered. Everyone is different.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted

Does it matter whether it is 'laziness' or 'convenience' ?  You say you just want to understand, but you use terms like laziness which imply judgment.

We all do things sometimes just because we are "lazy," "tired," or whatever other reason.  I pay someone to change the oil in my car - I learned how to do it a long time ago but I just really don't want to.  Is it for convenience?  Is it because I'm lazy?  I don't know, but it doesn't matter, it's just a choice I've made.

If people don't want to use doordash/ubereats, then don't, simple as that.  There is obviously huge demand for the service, which not only creates a solution for people who want it, but also employs TONS of people who might otherwise have difficulty getting jobs, providing tons of flexibility.  I personally know people who do instacart / doordash, and the income they get from that, sometimes as a second job, is what helps them pay their bills and put food on the table for their kids.

So again, what is the issue?  It is a simple supply and demand scenario - there is demand for food delivery services, and there is a steady supply of people willing to provide the service and make some extra income.  And for those who don't want to pay for this service, they still have the option of going out to eat, doing carryout, or making food at their own place.

I think it's great that people have more options than ever before, and no one is required to use such services.

(1) Drivers do not have to sign up with doordash/ubereats/whatever to deliver - their choice.
(2) Restaurants do not have to participate with those programs - their choice.
(3) Consumers do not have to use the services if they are offered - their choice.

As for reasons why people might use them, there are TONS of reasons why people use them - it really shouldn't be that hard to understand.  Heck, I can think of a bunch of scenarios - maybe someone's car broke down and they don't have much food at home and just need a quick solution for now while they work on other issues. 

Maybe someone is sick (be it COVID or anything else) and they don't want to infect other people, and also feel really crappy and not like making dinner.

Maybe someone is craving Korean food or Nepalese food or Indian food or whatever, and doesn't have all the ingredients/spices or the expertise needed.

Maybe someone just loves trying new food and new restaurants, but either doesn't have the time or can't handle large crowds, or has a social disability or challenge.

Maybe someone doesn't drive (either because they can't, or choose not to), but still wants to experience restaurants and different types of food.

Maybe someone just plain does not like cooking at all, and doesn't mind waiting for delivery, paying for delivery, or getting food that isn't piping hot and they toss in the toaster oven or something.

I mean, there is no limit to the myriad reasons why someone might to use such a service.  I don't really care whether people use them or not and am not trying to encourage anyone to use them, but it's just a "thing" that exists out there that people can use, or not.  And I have zero amount of judgment for other people doing it or not doing it and I don't know why so many people do for some reason.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Does it matter whether it is 'laziness' or 'convenience' ?  You say you just want to understand, but you use terms like laziness which imply judgment.

What I said above is that there is a fine line between convenience and lazy, just as there is a fine line between collector and hoarder. 

27 minutes ago, spacepup said:

And I have zero amount of judgment for other people doing it or not doing it and I don't know why so many people do for some reason.

Hey, I know I'm fat but I don't think I exactly qualify as more than one person! 

Are there a lot of people that do start getting judgmental over the use of food apps? Is this actually a thing?

Administrator · Posted

I'm not just referring to you - I've seen a lot of people online in comments or food groups or other places, complaining about people using these services being lazy / wasteful / etc. or that it's "dumb" to use doordash when you can "just go out and get it yourself."

• Like 1

I've also never used a food delivery app in my life and probably never will. The only food I get delivered (rarely) is pizza. Most of the time when I get pizza, which is once every few months at best, I go pick it up because the pizza place is ~3 minutes from my house. Sometimes when I have guests over I will have pizza delivered so that I can continue to enjoy their company/continue the conversation.

That said, I understand where other people's lives are different to mine, ESPECIALLY people with kids. My friends/siblings have kids and I've spent a fair bit of time with them. I know how obnoxious they can get sometimes, how busy life is with them, how you might be in the middle of a game or covered in makeup, silly putty, or whatever else and not really be in a position to be going out. Sometimes people work overtime and then are starving + tired by the time they get home, not interested in going out to pick up/eat out. Some people in my life literally cannot cook anything and never have in their entire lives.

I get why people use them, but I'm just too cheap to spend extra money on food. I'm extremely price-conscious and try to keep my spending on food as low as possible but I recognize that lots of people aren't that way. My brother's family gets nothing but "organic" food, always has a pantry full of snacks, and doesn't think twice about eating out or ordering in. They also make like 4x what I make and have a kid.

Everyone's situation is different and it changes every day. Sometimes your entire day could be turned around by having a nice microwaved spaghetti from the local bar after having a shitty day and you aren't capable of getting out of the house to get it, mentally. If it costs you $25 for $4 worth of pasta, but it turns around a shitty day then who cares? Especially when people are making 6 figures it becomes really easy to not stress over $5-20

• Like 2

On 8/15/2024 at 8:43 PM, ThePhleo said:

I just double everything on the left side of the " . " then move it down a tenth. It works out to a fractions of less than 20%.

So:

$124.28 = $248 * 0.1 = $24.80

$41.99 = $82 * 0.1 = $8.20

$5.01 = $10 * 0.1 = $1.00

Also, I don't tip anywhere that doesn't let me get to pay after the fact. So, sorry Starbucks, I won't "answer your question"

I do it this way:

$125 * .10 * 2 = $25. 

If I want to adjust either way it is easy enough to do so using .1 * whatever either way.

(I always round up the initial figure unless it is only slightly over the lower whole figure - in which case I round down.)

32 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I'm not just referring to you - I've seen a lot of people online in comments or food groups or other places, complaining about people using these services being lazy / wasteful / etc. or that it's "dumb" to use doordash when you can "just go out and get it yourself."

I think a lot of the issue is a societal one. As an example, I remember over the past few years seeing videos / shorts / tweets from a lot of younger people conveying messages such as "OMG, I just did some serious adulting today, I swept the floor!", or "Hey, I managed to cook a meal, though I used this meal kit I got delivered to me" or "I finally got up and took a shower". This is likely where some of the judgement starts coming into play.

Similarly, a lot of young people seem to complain about the state of affairs regarding the economy, their wealth, etc. and to save some money, dropping the food delivery seems like a solid way. Food delivery fees versus tips might even be an interesting discussion, i.e. do those who feel that tips are bogus see merit in food delivery fees?

To sum it up though, I reckon that's why there are people judging others regarding the delivery apps. Fifteen years ago we didn't have them and we got by just fine. This is getting into get off my porch territory, but I feel a lot of people today just aren't capable of (prepared for?) living on their own, and to me that is a societal problem. Until I'm in a health condition where I physically can't, I'll always do my own laundry, house cleaning, make the bed, cook*, etc , as I personally feel that once we stop doing such tasks, it's all downhill. There's a lot of dependency on this stuff, and while I don't personally care if anyone uses the apps or not, I similarly feel that in the end it's probably not going to be the best for society long-term.

*As mentioned earlier, cooking costs me more here than to buy out; however, if I have guests over I always cook

12 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Everyone's situation is different and it changes every day. Sometimes your entire day could be turned around by having a nice microwaved spaghetti from the local bar after having a shitty day and you aren't capable of getting out of the house to get it, mentally. If it costs you $25 for $4 worth of pasta, but it turns around a shitty day then who cares? Especially when people are making 6 figures it becomes really easy to not stress over $5-20

That's definitely the one food I'd never order out though, lol. To each their own though.

I'd be interested to see the statistics on who is using delivery apps the most but my guess would be disabled people, those with social anxiety, parents, and people like that rather than teenagers. I don't see the use of food delivery apps as being the downfall of our society and those who I've known who don't cook didn't cook before the delivery apps existed either.

You've just made about 10 more judgmental statements about people using delivery apps, and yet you're wondering why people think you're being judgmental and looking down on others.

Don't get me wrong I wish more people would cook for themselves too, but I also recognize my privilege in having my parents, friends, and other people in my life encourage me and teach me how to cook and acknowledge that not everyone had that in their lives. Men especially are not particularly encouraged to cook in their teenage/young adult lives, it's no wonder we have so many men who can't cook and have to eat out unless their SO cooks.

As I said above though, sometimes it's not a matter of not being willing/able to cook, but having the energy and wanting to do so. Sometimes people are worn out from a 12 hour shift at work then have to entertain their kids, or change diapers, or do schoolwork for continuing education, or manage their small business, HOA board, parent-teacher conference, volunteer work, do laundry or other chores, etc. and don't feel like cooking in addition to all that / can't get away from all those chores to go pick up their dinner. If they have an infant, it's not very fun to pack them in their car seat, especially if they're currently teething...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

That's definitely the one food I'd never order out though, lol. To each their own though.

There is a restaurant near me that offers a 4 person spaghetti dinner - 2 lbs. spaghetti, 4 sausages and 8 pieces of garlic bread.  I will go there and eat my fill and take home the rest - generally have 4 or 5 meals worth left over.  

I do sometimes get some looks from other customers when the waitress  sets the huge bowl of spaghetti with the sausages on my table......

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

There is a restaurant near me that offers a 4 person spaghetti dinner - 2 lbs. spaghetti, 4 sausages and 8 pieces of garlic bread.  I will go there and eat my fill and take home the rest - generally have 4 or 5 meals worth left over.  

I do sometimes get some looks from other customers when the waitress  sets the huge bowl of spaghetti with the sausages on my table......

Down the whole thing one day. Record it and share it here and I'll pay for the meal!

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I'd be interested to see the statistics on who is using delivery apps the most but my guess would be disabled people, those with social anxiety, parents, and people like that rather than teenagers. I don't see the use of food delivery apps as being the downfall of our society and those who I've known who don't cook didn't cook before the delivery apps existed either.

I'd be quite interested in seeing the statistics too. I wasn't referring to teenagers either, not sure where you got that impression from.

27 minutes ago, Khromak said:

You've just made about 10 more judgmental statements about people using delivery apps, and yet you're wondering why people think you're being judgmental and looking down on others.

I'm just referencing what I have seen others state in videos / video shorts, tweets, etc. If you want, I'll gladly look up and post a few links here. 

30 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Don't get me wrong I wish more people would cook for themselves too, but I also recognize my privilege in having my parents, friends, and other people in my life encourage me and teach me how to cook and acknowledge that not everyone had that in their lives. Men especially are not particularly encouraged to cook in their teenage/young adult lives, it's no wonder we have so many men who can't cook and have to eat out unless their SO cooks.

I understand what you are getting at, but at what point does it just become an excuse? From my own experience, I helped my father out occasionally in the kitchen, but I was never encouraged to cook, and didn't properly know how to cook either until after coming to Taiwan and being thrust into a situation where if I wanted to eat western food that tasted like it did back home, that I'd have to cook it myself.

34 minutes ago, Khromak said:

As I said above though, sometimes it's not a matter of not being willing/able to cook, but having the energy and wanting to do so. Sometimes people are worn out from a 12 hour shift at work then have to entertain their kids, or change diapers, or do schoolwork for continuing education, or manage their small business, HOA board, parent-teacher conference, volunteer work, do laundry or other chores, etc. and don't feel like cooking in addition to all that / can't get away from all those chores to go pick up their dinner. If they have an infant, it's not very fun to pack them in their car seat, especially if they're currently teething...

If someone has an infant I think something like using a food delivery service is more than understandable. If no one in the house knows how to cook though, that is honestly frightening.  

40 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I remember you mentioning that before! It must be quite tasty then.