IGNORED

How much do you tip?

Mega Tank

How much do usually you tip when you eat out?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How much do usually you tip when you eat out?

• It's for the birds. -Mr. Pink
    • 1 - 10%
    • 11 - 20%
    • Over 20%
    • It depends on the service.

Food delivery apps seem like a non sustainable business model. They kinda got very fortunate that the pandemic happened and created a need for a delivery service as well as tons of now furloughed low wage workers available to act as drivers. In my opinion, it would be in these companies best interest to secure amd hire a number of these drivers as employees rather than individual contractors for retention sake. If they don't, they risk losing them to the next "gig" that pays better or suits their lifestyle more, and almost all at once! Who would use a food delivery service if they were all quoting 2 hours or more because a huge portion of their drivers jumped on the next pocket money side hustle fad? 

• Agree 1

US based diner here.

What a wild thread, feel like I've learned a lot about some folks.  I'll tip when I go out as it's expected here, but obviously internationally different rules apply.

I never use delivery apps though, and almost never order online for pickup.  Local places I like going to: I'll call in, place my order for pickup, drive and get it and pay in person.  All those online systems eat up the margins for a small business anyway, and my rule of thumb is if I'm too lazy to drive and get my food then I don't deserve it and can just eat something in the house from the freezer chest or what have you.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I wonder how a hot pot would do with delivery 

IMG20240824165654.jpg

I've ordered Pho to go before, they put the broth in a lidded container, and the noodles, meat and veggies in a Styrofoam container. I imagine hot pot could do something similar, but some of the raw ingredients might violate health codes if they are traveling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, G-type said:

I've ordered Pho to go before, they put the broth in a lidded container, and the noodles, meat and veggies in a Styrofoam container. I imagine hot pot could do something similar, but some of the raw ingredients might violate health codes if they are traveling.

I guess they'd have to ask you what condiments you want with, too (onions, garlic, chilis, sa cha, soy sauce, vinegar, etc etc), the number of bowls of rice contained in the set must be quite limited, etc. 

While I know app hot pot is available, I do think that this would be a dish where it would definitely take a hit in quality. There's just too many variables to account for. 

On 8/22/2024 at 7:15 PM, xelement5x said:

What a wild thread, feel like I've learned a lot about some folks. 

Same.

It's a shame some people keep using terms like "slavery" and "abuse" when talking about paying jobs where people can actually earn a decent living. Also forgetting the fact they can choose the work they take on, just as they can choose to get another job.

Some people also seem to confuse convenience and laziness. If people don't have the time to go get something to eat to bring back home, then they by all means have the opportunity to have it delivered is someone chooses to take on that delivery. What the get paid as their base wage is on the platform and laws in place.

If someone has the time to go get something to eat and they don't want to, that's laziness, but they still have the right to order on an app and have it delivered.

Personally, I view these side gig jobs as a fantastic opportunity to pick up some extra money as a part time job working the hours you want and working the batches, rides, deliveries you want. No one is forcing them on the platform and no one is forcing them to take any amount of work. The workers have the ability to pass/deny any work they don't want to take on.

This guy seems to be doing pretty well. It's all about finding a pattern and hoping to get those repeat customers that tip well.

7 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Personally, I view these side gig jobs as a fantastic opportunity to pick up some extra money as a part time job working the hours you want and working the batches, rides, deliveries you want. No one is forcing them on the platform and no one is forcing them to take any amount of work. The workers have the ability to pass/deny any work they don't want to take on.

I don’t know why you keep mentioning this as a reason why they should be paid below minimum wage. You do realise that this feature is also available to Europeans driving Uber right? It isn’t shut off in their app. They can do a two hour shift whenever they feel like it and *gasp* still receive a tip! The only difference is that they get the minimum wage if the ride falls under it AND they don’t have to be subjected to racism or sexism on earning money doing a job as a taxi driver.

This thread has just made me realise that the US as a country (not all individuals) are happy to look the other way and pay a very low minimum wage (often below a living wage) as long as they aren’t personally affected by it. Such a bleak place for those who are unfortunate or have an accident. Talk about kicking your fellow citizen down a peg or two 😞 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brickman said:

I don’t know why you keep mentioning this as a reason why they should be paid below minimum wage. You do realise that this feature is also available to Europeans driving Uber right? It isn’t shut off in their app. They can do a two hour shift whenever they feel like it and *gasp* still receive a tip! The only difference is that they get the minimum wage if the ride falls under it AND they don’t have to be subjected to racism or sexism on earning money doing a job as a taxi driver.

This thread has just made me realise that the US as a country (not all individuals) are happy to look the other way and pay a very low minimum wage (often below a living wage) as long as they aren’t personally affected by it. Such a bleak place for those who are unfortunate or have an accident. Talk about kicking your fellow citizen down a peg or two 😞 

Racism and sexism? Wow.

13 hours ago, Brickman said:

Often below? lol try always below.  From the department of Labor:

IMG_8331.jpeg.f323915cdfcdbd1679b68930044908f1.jpeg

The American system is based on complete reverence and idolization of Greed.   It may actually be our only value.  The South is still mad we took away their slaves.

• Sad 2

52 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Often below? lol try always below.  From the department of Labor:

IMG_8331.jpeg.f323915cdfcdbd1679b68930044908f1.jpeg

The American system is based on complete reverence and idolization of Greed.   It may actually be our only value.  The South is still mad we took away their slaves.

lol it’s actually less than this for tipped employees like waitresses/waiters I think it’s like $2-$3 an hour for them. The whole thing is rigged against them in the worst way. Technically if tips and the hourly don’t add up to standard minimum wage the employer is supposed to make up the difference. I don’t understand why they can’t make standard minimum wage and earn tips but I’m also not a billionaire who is reliant on slave wages to make a buck. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I went to a diner after a hospital visit today (just getting an xray), and the service and food were great. Lady serving me was nice, and one of the kitchen staff came over and was like "you got enough fries? Want more?" (I said no, cuz I don't eat much). 

At the end I was asking her the price of a chocolate milk box, and what my total was so far. I was trying to calculate out if I could get a chocolate milk and still give the customary $4 tip. She said it was like $4 or so, she'd have to check, and I explained that I had a $20 and wanted to make sure she got a tip still. 

She goes off, serves water to some other people, comes back with a chocolate milk and the bill - $21. Tell me that the $20 is fine and not to worry about it. 

So I've effectively *taken* money from the diner at this point, making me worse than @Code Monkey

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

lol it’s actually less than this for tipped employees like waitresses/waiters I think it’s like $2-$3 an hour for them. The whole thing is rigged against them in the worst way. Technically if tips and the hourly don’t add up to standard minimum wage the employer is supposed to make up the difference. I don’t understand why they can’t make standard minimum wage and earn tips but I’m also not a billionaire who is reliant on slave wages to make a buck. 

That was my point is that even if you are making the actual federal min wage it is a pittance.  And that shit was last updated in 2009!  15 years ago.  What a joke.  And there’s people in here arguing that tips should nullify an employer having to pay their employees $7 an hour.  Cuz capitalism. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I went to a diner after a hospital visit today (just getting an xray), and the service and food were great. Lady serving me was nice, and one of the kitchen staff came over and was like "you got enough fries? Want more?" (I said no, cuz I don't eat much). 

At the end I was asking her the price of a chocolate milk box, and what my total was so far. I was trying to calculate out if I could get a chocolate milk and still give the customary $4 tip. She said it was like $4 or so, she'd have to check, and I explained that I had a $20 and wanted to make sure she got a tip still. 

She goes off, serves water to some other people, comes back with a chocolate milk and the bill - $21. Tell me that the $20 is fine and not to worry about it. 

So I've effectively *taken* money from the diner at this point, making me worse than @Code Monkey

i suspect the diner can cover the extra dollar on the milk,  And if you are in the area again you will certainly remember the place and the waitress - and leave a really good tip if she is there when you go again.

On a somewhat related note I once went to my lunch with my brother - I paid for both of us and I left a $10 tip on the credit card.  When I got the credit card bill I noticed the tip was not included. Next time we went there I asked her if someone might have forgot to input it.  She said yeah.  It was my brother's turn to pay so I left a $10 bill for her.  Great place if you are ever in the area! (I recommend the Umami Tsunami.  Their Umami macaroni and gouda cheese with candied bacon is also awesome.)

https://www.flyingpigburgerco.com/

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

I've never taken money from a diner.

• Haha 1

Went to a western restaurant today for lunch, got a burrito with grilled chicken and other things, as well as a Mt Dew. The cashier eventually brings me my food, and everything is great.

Later, she swings by again and gives me a container of what appears to be the start of a chicken stroganoff. No idea for sure, as there's nothing on the menu even remotely like this. She sets it on the table then says, "This is for you, free".

Finished my lunch, ate the free stuff as well (which was pretty good too, though it was way too much food for me, everything as a whole, so I wasn't even hungry for supper).

Then I left, didn't pay a tip, and felt great. Great food, great service, great people, great prices, no tips. Me like.

IMG20240829151515.jpg

• Love 1

Administrator · Posted
54 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Went to a western restaurant today for lunch, got a burrito with grilled chicken and other things, as well as a Mt Dew. The cashier eventually brings me my food, and everything is great.

Later, she swings by again and gives me a container of what appears to be the start of a chicken stroganoff. No idea for sure, as there's nothing on the menu even remotely like this. She sets it on the table then says, "This is for you, free".

Finished my lunch, ate the free stuff as well (which was pretty good too, though it was way too much food for me, everything as a whole, so I wasn't even hungry for supper).

Then I left, didn't pay a tip, and felt great. Great food, great service, great people, great prices, no tips. Me like.

IMG20240829151515.jpg

Over here if they give you something free, you're inclined to tip even more than usual cuz "great service!" on something that was probably going in the bin otherwise. (not shitting on the food, looks dope) 

• Angry 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Over here if they give you something free, you're inclined to tip even more than usual cuz "great service!" on something that was probably going in the bin otherwise. (not shitting on the food, looks dope) 

He doesn't even tip when he's being hit on. Server is trying to make a move. Just ignored 🤣

In all seriousness, I wouldn't eat a "free food item" especially if it's not even on the menu or remotely close to it.

Edited by Mega Tank
  • Haha 1