IGNORED

Anyone Sell On Amazon? What are the Pros and Cons a seller?

RH

Well, I took the time to finish setting up an Amazon seller account so that we can sell some of our kids text books.  After it was done, the process of adding items doesn't seem to bad, but I've obviously not sold anything yet.

I'm curious, do you guys strictly do FB/Ebay sells or does anyone try to deal with Amazon.  I've never bought vintage games from Amazon.  No one posts photos and, usually, there's no pictures and you're lucky if you get descriptions.  Who'd buy that?!  But I have noticed that people list items all the time and I have heard of several people buying used games and stuff from Amazon, so my questions are, do any of you sell your old games or related items and, as a seller, how does the experience stack up against eBay?

How do customers treat you as a seller?  Are the fees, generally better?  Is it even worth it?  No one really talks about selling on Amazon. I'm just curious if it's worth it, especially if the typical Amazon buyer is willing to pay more.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

As a seller, I tried it out twice over about 15 years time, and both times Amazon would take more fees from me than an item would actually sell for.  Example, game sells for $20, total Amazon fees would be $23+.

Wait, how did that work?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

It can technically happen on Ebay too because they charge fees on tax (although anywhere near that extent):

Buyer paid $5.40: $0.99 sale price, $3.96 shipping, $0.45 tax, $1.02 Ebay fee.

bIN3WZv.png

I had this happen as well a couple times after they changed the fee structure.  Even with the ebay "shipping discount" you can still get screwed.  I wound up increasing the shipping cost a bit on anything that I was auctioning at a low price just to be safe and not take a bath on it. 

At this point though there is just so much stuff I don't even try to sell online. I just give it to a friend of mine that does this full time and let him deal with it and he buys me lunch occasionally.  Just happy to get the crap out of my house/garage and off my floor.

Well, I mean, if you put something up on eBay for a $1 auction and you sell it, I don't care what the scenario is, I think you lose on it every time.

@SilverspoonGaming I find it really odd that regardless of the sale price, Amazon was taking over 100%.  I'm not saying you're wrong, but it sounds like a bug.  Sure, on small priced items, I could see that happen.

Anyway, I tried to list one of the textbooks I wanted to sell and when I was done... nothing showed up in my inventory, so I tried again.  Still nothing.  I put the two books I have up on eBay and then when I went and checked my email, I saw that Amazon had told me that two items had been added to my inventory. What?!

Well, turns out there's no notice of it, except in the email, but it can take "up to 15 minutes for your inventory to appear".  Ok, fine, I work in IT and I know that that type of thing can happen, but I wish I had seen a notice telling me that when I posted it.  I went and just deleted the two entries and decided not to deal with it.

But with that said, the inventory did have a nice feature that told me how much money I'd  receive from the sale and I think it excluded shipping fees?  Regardless, it definitely wasn't "nothing" for the item.  I think I was going to get something like $48 on a $60 item?

The fact that the inventory tells you how much money you will receive is nice.  @SilverspoonGaming, if you think you might like to sell on eBay (if it's financially feasible) you might want to try it again and see what the numbers look like.  I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out.

On 8/26/2024 at 9:20 AM, RH said:

The fact that the inventory tells you how much money you will receive is nice.  @SilverspoonGaming, if you think you might like to sell on eBay (if it's financially feasible) you might want to try it again and see what the numbers look like.  I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out.

Are you referring to selling on Amazon again?