IGNORED

VGS Chiptune Contest 2024 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Chiptune Contest 2024 Voting  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who's chiptune is your personal favorite? (2nd & 3rd Place Tiebreaker)

This poll is closed to new votes

Events Team · Posted

1ST PLACE WINNER - DefaultGen

2ND PLACE WINNERS

Splain

CT

------------------------

Alrighty then! So, with the voting concluded, @DefaultGen has won in 1st place with 10 votes, and... @Splain and @CT tied with 3 votes each! So, as such, we're going to be doing some

SUDDEN DEATH VOTING!

to determine who the 2nd and 3rd place winners shall be!

A new poll has been added, containing only Splain and CT's chiptunes. From now until 9/11/2024 at 11:59 PM EST, about 2 and a half days from now, you all may vote for which of those two chiptunes you prefer! Keep in mind that DefaultGen has already been locked in as the 1st place winner, you're simply voting for who will end up winning 2nd and 3rd place. Just like the prior poll, as you would expect, you CANNOT vote for your own chiptune, you must vote for someone else's!

------------------------

The voting has begun! Everyone please vote for your personal favorite chiptune of the bunch! As a reminder, the only rules here are that you can only vote for one chiptune, and you CANNOT vote for your own chiptune, you must vote for someone else's! The poll will be open until 9/8/2024 at 11:59 PM EST. Whoever gets the most votes will win $25, 2nd most votes $20, 3rd most votes $15.

To refresh your memory, here are everyone's submissions, 5 in total:

1. DefaultGen

2. Splain

3. CT

4. fcgamer

5. T-Pac

------------------------

@Aguy @spacepup @Gloves @drxandy @Mega Tank @Splain @nesmaster14 @RegularGuyGamer @Gaia Gensouki @JamesRobot @Jicsan @ZeldaFan042 @darkchylde28 @DefaultGen @RH @Brickman @Red @NESfiend@the_wizard_666@Bearcat-Doug @FireHazard51 @DoctorEncore @SuperJimtendo @Dr. Morbis @mideast @Deadeye @JVOSS @koifish @acromite53 @KokiriChild @Jeevan @G-type @Bonanza125 @Lago @PII @BlackVega @Avgn Gamer @CT @Link @captmorgandrinker @Nugfish @North @Vaosu @Wasg13 @FelineFrequencies @matthughson @Famicuber @T-Pac @zi @TWarwick07 @mbd39 @Richardhead @docile tapeworm @8bitdontquit @wongojack @a3quit4s @Murray @Krunch @TriHart @Abner Stomps @Kguillemette @Scrobins @TDIRunner @multiboot @ndsnfr @jajaja @T-Pac @rdrunner @Joyomofrobro @fcgamer

------------------------

(If any of you would like to be removed from this ping list for future events, please let me know and I'll take your name off the list! Or, likewise, if you'd like to be added to the list, let me know as well! For these events, I ping people who have participated in previous events, and/or people who I think would be generally interested in future events.)

------------------------

Hello again everyone! Considering we got some absolutely amazing submissions when we did this last year, I figured it's about time we have another Chiptune Contest!

ChiptuneContext2023Image.png.07c0864fcfb

The rules of this event are very very simple: If you'd like to participate, submit a chiptune song you've created, from the ground up, in this thread. This should be in the form of an audio file of the chiptune you've made.

As there is not any one particular theme for this event, your chiptune arrangement can be pretty much whatever your heart desires, so get creative with it! I'll be pretty lenient on what I consider to be an actual chiptune, however try to keep in mind that you are trying to, specifically, make a chiptune here, so if I got a full on orchestral symphony as a submission, as impressed as I would be, I'd have to decline that entry since it's not exactly what you'd call a chiptune, haha. Your song must simply replicate the style of a chiptune in order to qualify, so I'd recommend trying to go for an 8-bit or 16-bit sound for your song.

If you don't have/know of any software that can create chiptune music, here's a few free online choices! I've used both Beepbox and Online Sequencer many times in the past and they've worked pretty well for me:

https://www.beepbox.co/
https://jummbus.bitbucket.io/debug/
https://onlinesequencer.net/

In case anyone isn't familiar with what chiptune songs are, here are a few good examples. Easiest way to describe them is older video game songs that use bleeps and bloops, and/or a few short instrumental samples, via the system's sound chip to form the music, or at best, to try and imitate instruments as best as they can, rather than using actual instruments. These days though, chiptunes are generally simply replicating or imitating the sound of music made via an older video game system's limited sound card, rather than actually being a result of the system's limitations.

Here's a few examples of chiptunes from back in the day, that were actually made by utilizing the systems' sound cards...

Spoiler

...And here's an example of a more modern chiptune which is simply emulating that general style.

Spoiler

The only further stipulations are as follow:

1. The chiptune must have been made by you specifically. It can be an original song, a cover, whatever you'd like, so long as you're the one who made the actual end product.
  2. Only chiptunes that have been made after this contest has started will be accepted.
  3. If you've already submitted a chiptune, but you end up making a different chiptune that you prefer, you may submit the new chiptune, and it will simply replace your previous chiptune.

This event will last from now until 8/31/2024 at 11:59 PM EST, a little over 1 week from now. Once we make it past that deadline, that'll be the cutoff point for new submissions. Immediately afterwards, a poll will be added to this thread, which will last from 9/1/2024 to 9/8/2024 at 11:59 PM EST, once again a little over a week. In this poll, anyone will get to vote on which chiptune arrangement is their personal favorite, and everyone will get to discuss the chiptunes that were submitted. The only rules here are that you can only vote for a single chiptune, and you cannot vote for your own chiptune, it must be someone else's.

After the deadline, the poll will be closed and no new votes will be accepted. Once this happens, the votes will be tallied up, and prizes will be dealt out to the people who's chiptunes received the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd most votes, respectively. The prizes up for grabs are as follows:

1st place:  $25 amazon gift card or cash equivalent
2nd place:  $20 amazon gift card or cash equivalent
3rd place:  $15 amazon gift card or cash equivalent

Good luck, and I hope you all have fun! Remember that there are real prizes on the line here, so try your best!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I might try to tool around and make a cover with some Genesis/Mega-Drive Synth. Finally, about a week, ago I got a power adapter for my Miracle Piano and I already had a Genesis cable. Maybe making a tracked song will give me the motivation to start working on a Genesis Synth ROM to work with the thing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Me trying to make literally anything in a tracker just for the sake of participating in a VGS thing

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling after downloading the VGM Music Maker tracker and not having any clue how it works or seeing any usable documentation. I might have to track something for the NES/Famicom just because those are more prolific.

Editorials Team · Posted

Ok! My kids are into Wonka so here's my very-abridged version of the opening song.

Click on it

I used BeepBox, which encodes all the song data into the URL, so the url is enormous. There's lots of instrument options there, but I put everything on the same chiptune voice to fit the theme.

• Like 7

Actually, just dug this game I was working on a few months back out of the archives, as the track I did today I think fits perfectly for a title track. Might as well reveal this now, this is just a rough concept title screen I was working on back in April or May.

• Like 5

I've never used this kind of software, or ever tried to really create a composition in earnest. I started way too late and in the past 3 hours have produced multiple piles of dog shit. I'll keep practicing, but I've got nothing to offer this time.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
13 hours ago, fcgamer said:

That's quite catchy! I can definitely envision this in a game.

Thanks - yours, too! (Especially considering it IS in a game if I understand correctly. Or at least in a work-in-progress game haha.)

Gotta admit, though - @Splain absolutely killed it this year. I've never heard the song you based it on, but the chiptune is fantastic, dude.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

@DefaultGen @Splain @CT @fcgamer @T-Pac @koifish @RH @rdrunner @Aguy @Kguillemette

The voting has begun! A poll has been added to the original post, everyone please vote for your personal favorite chiptune of the bunch via that poll! As a reminder, the only rules here are that you can only vote for one chiptune, and you CANNOT vote for your own chiptune, you must vote for someone else's! The poll will be open until 9/8/2024 at 11:59 PM EST. Whoever gets the most votes will win $25, 2nd most votes $20, 3rd most votes $15.

The original post has been edited to include everyone's submissions, so you can all quickly listen to those to refresh your memory. Well done everyone, once again some really good submissions this year!