IGNORED

VGS Chiptune Contest 2024 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Chiptune Contest 2024 Voting  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who's chiptune is your personal favorite? (2nd & 3rd Place Tiebreaker)

This poll is closed to new votes

I'll give it a try, but I wont lie, I gave up half way since I don't have a MIDI keyboard and I was just using my regular QWERTY keyboard.

I call it "The Woods After the Rain"

I wanted to do way more with it.

Just realized I'm a day late. Oh well 😕

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 5
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

I'll give it a try, but I wont lie, I gave up half way since I don't have a MIDI keyboard and I was just using my regular QWERTY keyboard.

Man, if only they had posted it on a banner.

Ray Liotta Laughing GIF

Your late submission is cool though. I just have to ignore the fact it made me feel like I was back in the water temple in Ocarina of Time lol.

Family Guy Reaction GIF

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Whelp this is by far my favorite of the bunch. That's a really nice song @ThePhleo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OMG I'm not on as often these days but this is amazing. Great work everyone - using trackers can be messy business and everyone made it look easy! @ZeldaFreak thank you for organizing/executing this!

Spoiler

peek at some "down the road" work https://bleepbop.com/unabandonded-single/

Edited by zi
cause
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, zi said:

OMG I'm not on as often these days but this is amazing. Great work everyone - using trackers can be messy business and everyone made it look easy! @ZeldaFreak thank you for organizing/executing this!

Lol what's up @zi, I was hoping you'd show up for this.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

@fcgamer @T-Pac @Mega Tank @AverageOliver98 @G-type @spacepup @nesmaster14 @rdrunner @Wasg13 @zi @ThePhleo @multiboot @Gloves @Murray @koifish @RH @Aguy @Kguillemette

Alrighty then! So, with the voting concluded, @DefaultGen has won in 1st place with 10 votes, and... @Splain and @CT tied with 3 votes each! So, as such, we're going to be doing some

SUDDEN DEATH VOTING!

to determine who the 2nd and 3rd place winners shall be!

A new poll has been added, containing only Splain and CT's chiptunes. From now until 9/11/2024 at 11:59 PM EST, about 2 and a half days from now, you all may vote for which of those two chiptunes you prefer! Keep in mind that DefaultGen has already been locked in as the 1st place winner, you're simply voting for who will end up winning 2nd and 3rd place. Just like the prior poll, as you would expect, you CANNOT vote for your own chiptune, you must vote for someone else's!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

If we're going into double overtime death, then let's take the @Gloves off, people. See what I did there? Gloves?

@Splain was my first choice BUT the tune seemed way too perfect - i mean the turn, the composition, the resolution... That being said, the technical prowess necessary to emulate the song, to listen to not just the melody but the accompaniment and capture the changes that give the song structure... that's the skill one I use to evaluate. Now, some would call him a coward, afraid to do what the others have in discovering the music in his heart and transcribing it to a chiptune, embellishing it with the complex emotional landscape that stems from truly living life, and finding an ending to this story that will forever remain a shadow in the listener's brain... but I'm not one of those people. I have the good sense to keep my mouth shut when it comes to these matters, as one with good taste does.

For @CTpiece, it lacks any sort of sophistication and complexity, leaning heavily on timbre and a mr. oizo-esk (look it up losers) approach to drum/bass/space. That being said, it's on point and kicks ass. No melody, nothing driving the piece forward but another set of four beats, so was that a waste of 2 minutes? Maybe. Unless your heart's pounding and you're ready to bare-knuckle box a lion, stitch yourself up in a OTB pay toilet before the cops arrive, or climb out of a three day K hole only to battle Brazilian assassins in a packed black-light nightclub to recover the queen's lost diamonds. But personal experiences aside, it was a good, albeit sparse, tune.

@ZeldaFreak I'm not reading anything else in this thread - is it a cash prize? Could they split it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, zi said:

I'm not reading anything else in this thread - is it a cash prize? Could they split it?

1st place gets $25 (which DG has already secured,) second place gets $20, 3rd place gets $15. They could split it evenly if they wanted to, but that's between @Splain and @CT!

• Thanks 1

Finally had a chance to listen to all of these, fantastic work everyone! If I could go back and choose any, @DefaultGen would have been my first choice. Alas I was late to the party, so I must go with @Splain. I love that little melody you put together! And seriously, congratulations to everyone who contributed, including @ThePhleo who may have been late, but put a really nice tune together!

Edited by Kguillemette
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Events Team · Posted
On 9/10/2024 at 9:37 AM, CT said:

👍🤠sure

Well, I guess that's that then!

So, @DefaultGen has won in 1st place with 10 votes, and... since @Splain and @CT have agreed to split their winnings evenly between them, I suppose that would mean they've won a joint 2nd place with (originally) 3 votes each! Congrats, I really loved all 3 of your chiptunes, y'all did great!

As always, thank you all for participating!

With that, the 2024 Chiptune Contest has come to a close! Hope you all were happy to see this contest make a return 🙂

Hope to see you all again next event!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to VGS Chiptune Contest 2024 [ENDED]