20 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to buy one!

• Hell yes on day one and I have a PS5 or PS5 slim
    • Hell yes and I don’t have a PS5
    • Hell no and I have a PS5 or PS5 slim
    • Hell no and I don’t have a PS5
    • Maybe after a price drop
    • Haven’t decided

So this was announced and is getting a lot of heat for being priced at $699.99. You can see the specs here for yourself:

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/09/10/welcome-playstation-5-pro-the-most-visually-impressive-way-to-play-games-on-playstation/

People have argued that, adjusted for inflation, this isn’t even PlayStations most expensive console. That crown belongs to the PS3 last I checked but PS3 had a number of standout features at launch, one of which was backwards compatibility with PS1/2 games. Personally, as an owner of a launch day PS5 (or a few months after launch) $699 seems sort of steep for a console in the first place and secondly, what games am I even buying this for? I’ve played through all the already released PS5 games and won’t go back and play them again. I could even sell my current PS5 for around $400 and only have to pay an extra $300 for it, but again what is my motivation to do so? Money isn’t an issue for me, so it isn’t that, it’s more like why would I do so? Does PlayStation even have upcoming titles that will take advantage of all these teraflops?

So what say you out there in the gaming world, are you taking a pass on this for whatever reason or are you going to throw your money around at this as soon as pre-orders open?

edit: @Reed Rothchild brought up a good point that the $700 PS5 Pro also doesn’t include a disk drive. That is an $80 add on that is sold separately and is quite hard to find at the moment as I understand.

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Pass.  Already a PS5 owner.  $800+ for a disc drive version?  No frickin way.

I find it funny that the initial release price of the PS4 was $399 and when the PS4 Pro came out like 2-3 years later, its price was $399 and the price of the original dropped to $299 after being made into a slim version.

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that this thread took as long to get started as it did.  I heard about the announcement the other day and came here to comment about it.  When I didn't notice any new thread, I thought about starting my own, but I was so underwhelmed by the announcement, I was too lazy to start the discussion myself.  

Obviously, I'm a huge Sony fan, but I just don't see any reason to get a PS5 right now, and the announcement of the PS5 Pro isn't helping that decision at all, and the price makes it even worse.  I waited a long time to get a PS4.  In fact, I didn't get the PS4 until the Pro came out (which is the model I have).  I love the PS4 and it's probably my second favorite Sony console, but I still have no interest in the PS5.  

I was really hoping the PS5 Pro would be a little more attractive in the design category.  Physical appearance is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but again, it isn't helping the situation for me.  I hope Nintendo doesn't screw up the Switch 2, because that is about all I have to look forward to right now.   

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm surprised that this thread took as long to get started as it did.  I heard about the announcement the other day and came here to comment about it.  When I didn't notice any new thread, I thought about starting my own, but I was so underwhelmed by the announcement, I was too lazy to start the discussion myself.  

Obviously, I'm a huge Sony fan, but I just don't see any reason to get a PS5 right now, and the announcement of the PS5 Pro isn't helping that decision at all, and the price makes it even worse.  I waited a long time to get a PS4.  In fact, I didn't get the PS4 until the Pro came out (which is the model I have).  I love the PS4 and it's probably my second favorite Sony console, but I still have no interest in the PS5.  

I was really hoping the PS5 Pro would be a little more attractive in the design category.  Physical appearance is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but again, it isn't helping the situation for me.  I hope Nintendo doesn't screw up the Switch 2, because that is about all I have to look forward to right now.   

I sometimes regret buying my PS5 but I think I’m mostly glad I have it. I like playing the newer games on the PS5 and I think it pops better on my LG OLED TV more than the PS4 Pro did. Perhaps me not wanting the PS5 Pro is just me be happy with the PS5, I have no real need to have a console that has beefed up specs that won’t even have games take advantage of the hardware for another 2-3 years. I looked up Sony upcoming exclusives and the only one I even care about remotely is Death Stranding 2 and with it nearing completion no way they go back and create new textures/graphics whatever to support a newly announced console. For me there is just no reason to upgrade. $800 for a disk based PS Pro at this point is basically just a reason to build a PC

• Like 1

Just now, a3quit4s said:

I sometimes regret buying my PS5 but I think I’m mostly glad I have it. I like playing the newer games on the PS5 and I think it pops better on my LG OLED TV more than the PS4 Pro did. Perhaps me not wanting the PS5 Pro is just me be happy with the PS5, I have no real need to have a console that has beefed up specs that won’t even have games take advantage of the hardware for another 2-3 years. I looked up Sony upcoming exclusives and the only one I even care about remotely is Death Stranding 2 and with it nearing completion no way they go back and create new textures/graphics whatever to support a newly announced console. For me there is just no reason to upgrade. $800 for a disk based PS Pro at this point is basically just a reason to build a PC

It probably sounds strange to hear me say I don't want a PS5 considering that I'm basically a step below an audio/videophile.  I love the idea of using a PS5 or PS5 Pro to take full advantage of my TV, but there just aren't any games that I'm interested in playing.  Yes, it can upgrade many of my PS4 games, but I guess that fact alone doesn't justify the price for me.  I think deep down, I was waiting for the PS5 Pro the same way I waited on the PS4 Pro, but I was just expecting more from the upgrade.  And it seems like the only "more" we are getting is more price.

Maybe I'm just getting old too.  I'm sure that's a big part of it.  I own so many games that I enjoy.  I feel like I'm getting to the point where I just give up on modern gaming and enjoy what I already have (which is a lot).  I've already done that with music.  I listen to absolutely zero modern music, but I'll never run out of stuff to listen to, because I enjoy music from so many different past decades.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I suppose this is aimed at the most die-hard of PlayStation fans, those who will jump at all the new hardware. I realized - after this announcement - that I've never picked up any 'pro' version of a late-in-life-cycle console, but then, I also realized that I didn't know this was being released any time soon...I find myself increasingly disconnected with modern gaming outside of whatever I see on a Nintendo Direct.

It's also telling that my first thought - when a video about this came across my feed showing the price breakout in CAD ($959 + 99 + 39 for system/drive/stand) - was, "I could knock a game or two off my 'to get' list for that money". Lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

People have argued that, adjusted for inflation, this isn’t even PlayStations most expensive console. That crown belongs to the PS3 last I checked but PS3 had a number of standout features at launch, one of which was backwards compatibility with PS1/2 games.

I got curious and ran a few numbers.

PS4 was sold for $399 in 2013, which would be $539 today. 

PS3 was $499 for the 20GB model and $599 for the 60GB in 2006. That's about $780 and $935 today.

PS2 at $299 in 2000 would be $540 today.

PS1 at $299 in 1995 would be $615 today.

But as you said the features make a lot of difference. The PS3 at launch was the cheapest Blu-Ray player, so a lot of people bought it for that purpose. 

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't own a PS5, but I kind of expected to before now.  The fact that the price is going up isn't helping convince me to get one.  Of course, maybe the price of the "regular" model will drop.

Anyway, I think companies usually lose money on hardware.  In this case, I think Sony said "let's not lose money this time."  They know the price will hurt sales, but they don't want to take as big of a hit (or any), so they are leaving the price high and letting those people who always adopt to get the thing.

3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

And there are plenty of people who already own some sort of gaming PC.  You could take the $800 (or less) and invest it in your current PC and come out with something even better (no vertical stand required).

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Don't forget that on top of that price, you have to pay a monthly sub to access the internet for multi-player. Non-functional out of the gate. 

Not to mention they also changed all that up so where there just used to be one option for PlayStation plus now there are something like 4 and each is more expensive per month than the last. Xbox Game Pass ultimate isn’t cheap either and I only have that because I get it cheap from Microsoft Alumni. 

I like modern gaming but the cost of entry and ongoing fees is worse than car ownership at this point 😂

Im curious who voted yes they were gonna buy a ps5 pro on day one and already own a PS5. I’m not interested on shitting on you just curious on why is all. 

Edited by a3quit4s

I mean this is a stupid move by Sony no other way to put it.  $500 to $600 is the sweet spot on consoles.  $700 for a slim version of something that's been out for years already?  And they took out the disc drive?  It's a joke and just for Sony diehards, won't cause any impulse purchases.  Probably even too lackluster for people to attempt to scalp at release and that should tell you just how bad it is.

47 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I mean this is a stupid move by Sony no other way to put it.  $500 to $600 is the sweet spot on consoles.  $700 for a slim version of something that's been out for years already?  And they took out the disc drive?  It's a joke and just for Sony diehards, won't cause any impulse purchases.  Probably even too lackluster for people to attempt to scalp at release and that should tell you just how bad it is.

I’d be really interested if the preorders even sell out. Sony could have a really limited supply of preorders though so even a few orders would sell them out. My thinking here is that Sony could release the PS5 Pro for $999 with no disc and some fanboys would still say it’s the greatest thing ever and shell out the money on release day and then a couple months later they drop the price anyways. It’s still a shitty move on their part either way and I think the damage to the reputation has already been done.