IGNORED

VGS September 2024 Contest

Events Team · Posted

@PII @Gloves @Bearcat-Doug @mbd39 @Richardhead @Dr. Morbis @NESfiend @docile tapeworm @BlackVega @SuperJimtendo @G-type @RH @Red @8bitdontquit  @wongojack @a3quit4s @Murray @Krunch @TriHart @Abner Stomps @TWarwick07 @Kguillemette @Scrobins @Deadeye @Aguy @spacepup @drxandy @TDIRunner @Mega Tank @Splain @nesmaster14 @RegularGuyGamer @Gaia Gensouki @Jicsan @ZeldaFan042 @darkchylde28 @DefaultGen @Brickman @the_wizard_666 @JVOSS @koifish @acromite53 @KokiriChild @Jeevan @Bonanza125 @Lago @Avgn Gamer @CT @multiboot @ndsnfr @Link @fcgamer @rdrunner @Wasg13 @North @Nugfish @captmorgandrinker @DoctorEncore 

------------------------

(If any of you would like to be removed from this ping list for future events, please let me know and I'll take your name off the list! Or, likewise, if you'd like to be added to the list, let me know as well! For these events, I ping people who have participated in previous events, and/or people who I think would be generally interested in future events.)

------------------------

Heya there everyone! For this month's contest, I figured we'd try out an absolute classic, one that just about everyone has played at one point or another:

TetrisLogo.png.79591b2620d48584b79cf122ea972363.png

(For the purposes of this contest, we'll be playing the US release of the NES version of Tetris specifically.)

I think it's pretty safe to say that all of you are familiar, but, just to give a quick little recap regardless: Tetris is a puzzle game in which you drop descending pieces of various shapes, all of which are made up of different configurations of 4 squares, on to the board. The pieces will continually stack on top of each other, and you only have so much horizontal space to work with. If the pieces make it to the very top of the board, it's game over. The goal is to fill as many horizontal lines with pieces as possible, as when you fill a line with pieces, that row of pieces will disappear, giving you more space to work with and allowing you to continue the game. The more lines you complete in a single move (IE clearing 4 lines at once with a single long piece) the more points you'll get. Additionally, the game will gradually speed up faster and faster over time, until it eventually gets to the point where it's almost impossible to keep up. The goal is to simply keep playing for as long as possible until the game inevitably gets the better of you sooner or later (or until you make it to the kill screen, but doing so is obscenely difficult and very unlikely to happen during this challenge, haha.)

------------------------

Again, for this contest we'll be using the US release of the NES version of Tetris, so make sure you're playing that version of the game in particular. Now, with all that said, the rules for this contest are as follows: Boot up the game, start an A-Type game at Level 0, and... well, play the game! The goal of this contest is to get as high of a score as you can before eventually losing, so getting super far in to the game isn't as important as getting as high of a score as possible. In the event of the score counter being maxed out or a tie, whoever has the most amount of lines completed will be used to determine who's in the lead. Once you're satisfied with your score, take a photo or screenshot of your screen once you've lost, and submit your score!

Prizes will be dealt out to those who end up with the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd highest scores, respectively. As per usual, the prizes up for grabs are as follows:

1st Place:  $25 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent
2nd Place:  $20 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent
3rd Place:  $15 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent

The only further stipulations to the contest are as follows:

• As you would expect, no save states, cheat codes, slow motion, turbo controllers, etc. are allowed. Anything that would give you any kind of advantage over playing the base game on real hardware is not allowed. If it feels like cheating, consider it not allowed.
  • In-game exploits/glitches which allow you to increase your score in a way that wasn't intended are not allowed. If you're unsure about whether or not something would count as an exploit, feel free to PM me and ask about it.
  • When you submit your score, make sure your VGS username is visible somewhere within view of the photo/screenshot of your score. It could be a slip of paper with your VGS username written down on it, or a text document displaying your VGS username. Use whatever method you like, so long as your username is clearly visible alongside your score.
  • Only scores that have been achieved after this contest has started will be accepted.
  • If you've already submitted a score, and you end up getting a better score, you may of course submit the better score, and it will simply replace your previous score.

This event will last from now until 10/1/2024 at 11:59 PM EST, a little over 1 week from now. Once we make it past that deadline, that'll be the cutoff point for new score submissions. I'll tally everyone's final scores up, and deal out prizes accordingly!

Good luck, and I hope you all have fun! Remember that there are real prizes on the line here, so try your best!

• Like 2