IGNORED

A small decent Nintendo Entertainment System collection

thrashncrash

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

What's blinking light win?

It's an aftermarket pin connector for the NES that uses a straight pin connection instead of using the original pin connectors that required a player to press the cartridge down (and thus having issues with connection, i.e., the blinking red light on the NES that signaled a connection error.)

You could buy one and install it on your NES. But they've been out of stock for awhile, so consoles with the mod are sometimes sought after.

I will add two things about the blinking light win. It does have a known death grip on N.E.S. cartridges, that's why I have a game genie permanently in there. So it's easier to remove N.E.S. cartridges. The blinking light win allows you to play Pal region games without disabling the lock out chip.

36 minutes ago, thrashncrash said:

I will add two things about the blinking light win. It does have a known death grip on N.E.S. cartridges, that's why I have a game genie permanently in there. So it's easier to remove N.E.S. cartridges. The blinking light win allows you to play Pal region games without disabling the lock out chip.

They're nice units.

It's too bad that it doesn't appear new ones are being made. The few that are available are going for stupid money on the Bay.

Administrator · Posted
10 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Blinking Light Win seems like a very odd name for a product.

The problem with the console is that the red light blinks when it has an issue. The mod is intended to make it not happen anymore. So it's a "Win". 

Keep in mind that mods and such like this aren't made by like, product marketing teams. They were made at least initially by hobbyists.

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Blinking Light Win seems like a very odd name for a product.

It was also developed during a time when "winning" was a somewhat common phrase.  During the original Kickstarter, I specifically remember thinking that the name would probably not age well.  

It's still a good product and mine has been in my NES for 6 or 7 years now.  My only complaint was that it was really frustrating that the original backers received their BLW units LONG after people who bought them at retail.  That was completely unacceptable.  Also, mine has a little bit of a death grip as well, which is even worse with an Everdrive.

On 9/30/2024 at 10:10 AM, TDIRunner said:

Also, mine has a little bit of a death grip as well, which is even worse with an Everdrive.

I think all of the BLW have a death grip because I hear people complaining about it. Which is why I have a game genie permanently attached to the BLW.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2024 at 9:42 PM, thrashncrash said:

I think all of the BLW have a death grip because I hear people complaining about it. Which is why I have a game genie permanently attached to the BLW.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the BLW?

Shit... when we were kids, the Game Genie WAS the BLW. As in, we used the Game Genie 100% of the time because there was a better the games works more frequently...

We didn't realize at the time that was because the pins in the system were all bent to shit and not getting a good connection with the games, and both were dirty.

So, to keep my NES original, as an adult.... You just gotta clean the pins. When you bend and boil the pins, the grip is also tighter.... and for me I don't have to push the games down. If I do, it's because there's an issue with the game.

So... the system is still original, and I don't need to press the games down. Double win.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you still have to take the system apart to install a BLW? So if you're going through all that work you might as well just take the time to clean the actual pins that are in there. 🤷‍♂️

On 9/29/2024 at 11:33 PM, Gloves said:

The problem with the console is that the red light blinks when it has an issue. The mod is intended to make it not happen anymore. So it's a "Win". 

Keep in mind that mods and such like this aren't made by like, product marketing teams. They were made at least initially by hobbyists.

Grandpa Simpson Blank Template - Imgflip

Edited by AirVillain
  • Agree 1