IGNORED

Rage Quitting & Frustration -- the Thread

A recent discussion on difficulty regarding the Souls franchise had me wondering --

When is a game so frustrating, be it a boss or just in general, that you "rage quit" or just say "enough is enough" and are done with the game!

Myself, I mostly quit games if after a few hours they're just not fun -- see this thread:

But obviously "rage quitting" or just being too frustrated at the difficulty is something entirely different. I think many of us have had "rage hiatuses" only to come back. However, completely quitting and being done with a game is something different. I don't recall rage quitting often, although I've been prone to rage hiatuses in games such as Dark Souls, Nioh, etc. Blasphemous 2 was the most recent hiatus, that second-to-last boss is just not a fun battle. I will say after finishing Slay the Spire with "the Silent" I had absolutely no desire to go back and play it again with any of the other characters. Is that a form of rage quitting? But anyway, what about you?

I had to stop playing Sekiro a few times cause I was getting so frustrated that I would mess up and I would die to my own mistakes that I had already corrected. I eventually did beat it but it took such a long time. I'm currently on my second play through going for another ending same situation. I'll come back and be able to beat it too...eventually

• Like 1

I started a quest to beat some of the harder video games:

Ninja Gaiden - I beat all 3 NES games and the little known PAL exclusive Sega Master System game. The third game is the only one without unlimited continues (except in Japan) so each time I played the game, it was 3 lives and you better finish it. I played for weeks until I could get to the final level with no deaths, got to the final boss, I was on the run that was going to do it and the power went out. Oh boy was that frustrating. Maybe that doesn't fit this thread because I didn't quit, I started again and on my next run I beat it.

Mega Man - I beat all 11 main games and got to X6 in the X series before getting to some nucleus cell boss that was absolutely the most frustrating video game boss I had ever played. I determined it was impossible and quit for a year before eventually going back and beating it. It has been about 5 years since then but I'm still waiting before starting X7 because that was such a tramatizing experience.

The Legend Of Zelda - I've now finished all of the console games except Twilight Princess but when I was working on the first game on NES, it was unfairly difficult. I was playing on a top loader with the (quite expensive) dogbone top loader controller and got so frustrated I stood up and threw the controller into the hardwood floor as hard as I could. The controller exploded and made such a loud noise that it set off my glass-break detection on my house alarm. That game was infuriating.

I've also beaten some other difficult games like 2 of the NES Contras, the first 3 Dragon Warriors, Metal Storm, Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!, Dr. Mario on hardest difficulty and speed. I started working on Battletoads but didn't have the time to put into it.

• Like 1

I used to rage quite a bit, especially at competitive, online games, and then something just broke one day where I took a step back and just realized it wasn't worth it. Also, listening to other people bitch online really opens your eyes (ears?) to how annoying it is to listen to and how you sound like a child. My brother also gets game rage quite a bit and it's equally as annoying in person... always the games fault. I will say that we play on emulator from time to time and it can be annoying with some of the more demanding NES games like Ninja Gaiden or Castlevania with lag but that's to be expected.

The last time I truly raged at a game was probably Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge for Wii U like a decade ago... that game is absolutely BRUTAL in terms of difficulty. You can fight a boss for 20 minutes only to get 'one shot' and essentially die instantly. Even after I beat the game I didn't feel very vindicated because of how tedious and frustrating it was. I've never played Souls games but would imagine it's similar on the harder difficulties from some of the clips and bosses I've seen online.

• Like 1

Mom broke me of rage quitting when I'd get mad at an NES game, throw the controller at our TV and then she'd immediately take the games away for (at least!) a week.

I only did that a time or two before I learned some restraint. Thanks, Mom!

• Like 1

I don't often quit due to difficulity, but I will quit if I get stuck.

Alternative question, do folks look up solutions when they get stuck? I hate doing it, but I will as a last resort. I used to never look up solutions but I am feeling better about it nowadays.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CT said:

Alternative question, do folks look up solutions when they get stuck? I hate doing it, but I will as a last resort. I used to never look up solutions but I am feeling better about it nowadays.

Depends. For instance, I know in Blasphemous 2 in order to get the "good ending" you have to find all 33 cherubs, and some of them are obnoxiously difficult to find. So yeah, I looked up the remaining 3 or so I needed to find. If it's a puzzle game and I'm just stuck, yeah, I'll look-up the solution, and in my old age I have no qualms about it 🥲

But, if it's something optional like -- solve this complex puzzle and get the uber sword, I'll probably just skip it if it's frustrating.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Gentlegamer said:

Dragon Age Origins shipped with an in-game DLC Salesman. When I encountered him, I shut the game off and never played it again.

Does that count?

Did it? I don't recall, but I can say that Dragon Age Origins was a fab game.

To be fair, Nintendo does this all the time too, at least I know they seem to do this in basically all their Fire Emblem games. I just ignore it, although every now and then you'll get some "free" DLC weapons.

On 10/3/2024 at 11:01 AM, Code Monkey said:

Mega Man - I beat all 11 main games and got to X6 in the X series before getting to some nucleus cell boss that was absolutely the most frustrating video game boss I had ever played. I determined it was impossible and quit for a year before eventually going back and beating it. It has been about 5 years since then but I'm still waiting before starting X7 because that was such a tramatizing experience.

I don't think anyone will hold it against you if you skip X7 entirely. It's not difficult. It's just not good. 

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Got to finish them all.

Why?

I mean, if you're compelled to play every game in the franchise, go ahead.

But honestly, if you're not enjoying it, no one will hold it against you. It's not like X7 is a high mark in the Mega Man universe. 

Edited by Tulpa

22 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Why?

I mean, if you're compelled to play every game in the franchise, go ahead.

But honestly, if you're not enjoying it, no one will hold it against you. It's not like X7 is a high mark in the Mega Man universe. 

Autism Step 1: Patterns

Autism Step 2: Completing things to degrees you didn't think were possible, nor necessary.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Autism Step 1: Patterns

Autism Step 2: Completing things to degrees you didn't think were possible, nor necessary.

Ah.

*wondering if I should mention that there's a DOS Mega Man game*

*realizing that would be too cruel*

13 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Ah.

*wondering if I should mention that there's a DOS Mega Man game*

*realizing that would be too cruel*

Well there's also a Wonderswan release, I'm not that crazy.

Funny story, the DOS game was just made by some guy that wanted to port Mega Man 3. Capcom saw it and was so impressed they gave their license and asked the guy to complete it. Or at least that's the lore.

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Well there's also a Wonderswan release, I'm not that crazy.

Funny story, the DOS game was just made by some guy that wanted to port Mega Man 3. Capcom saw it and was so impressed they gave their license and asked the guy to complete it. Or at least that's the lore.

The history of that DOS game.

Rage Quitting FOREVER.... that's gotta be a pretty annoying game.

I'll probably play Ninja Gaiden again at some point in my life, but I will not enjoy it.

Once tried to "beat it" (in quotations because I cheated) with a Game Genie once and still couldn't do it. Was CRAZY annoying trying to play some parts. I definitely rage quit that game.

Years ago when it launched I lost it at the final level of Catherine, only to come back to it a few weeks later and beat it on the first attempt. 

I remember throwing a controller on the final mission of GTA IV in 2008. 

Anymore I'll just stop playing a game altogether if it's too frustrating. Now that I'm older and have kids, I don't have the time nor patience anymore. Though I recently got pretty pissed at Ori and the Blind Forest but ended up finishing it. 

I'll also stop playing if it's not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Rage Quitting FOREVER.... that's gotta be a pretty annoying game.

I'll probably play Ninja Gaiden again at some point in my life, but I will not enjoy it.

Once tried to "beat it" (in quotations because I cheated) with a Game Genie once and still couldn't do it. Was CRAZY annoying trying to play some parts. I definitely rage quit that game.

I beat Ninja Gaiden I, II, III back in the day when I was a wee lad. Sometimes I wonder how I did it 🥲

Just different times and expectations. During the PS1 era I remember there was talk about how the difficulty of games had decreased "so much"... But I don't agree. I think that holds for today too. It's not that the difficulty is lesser, just the expectations have changed and mostly for the better.

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

Years ago when it launched I lost it at the final level of Catherine, only to come back to it a few weeks later and beat it on the first attempt. 

I remember throwing a controller on the final mission of GTA IV in 2008. 

Anymore I'll just stop playing a game altogether if it's too frustrating. Now that I'm older and have kids, I don't have the time nor patience anymore. Though I recently got pretty pissed at Ori and the Blind Forest but ended up finishing it. 

I'll also stop playing if it's not my cup of tea.

How many times in a row did you miss the damn ramp to jump the dirt bike onto the helicopter?

• Angry 1
  • Agree 1