IGNORED

Game Debate #224: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

This was a game I remember distinctly from the early SNES days (along with Lagoon) yet never got around to playing. A friend had rented it at one point and I watched him play a few minutes. I nearly rented it myself once but ended up choosing something else (I don't remember what). I recall seeing write ups for it in Nintendo Power. Still, it slipped me by.

I know it's generally regarded as "baby's first RPG" because localizers at the time thought Westerners were too dumb and wimpy to handle "real RPGs". Even so, I've heard that once you accept the fact that it is very basic and pretty easy by all standards, it isn't as bad a game as some made it out to be.

All that to say, I wouldn't be opposed to attempting a playthrough but I don't feel overly compelled to get to it any time soon.

Edited by Webhead123

I am really interested in playing this one 100% because of how it's panned and yet I don't think I've ever booted it up. I've seen reviews and I can see the basic nature of it, but sometimes a paired down but solid gaming experience is enjoyable.

I want to give it a try one day but, honestly, that's probably not going to happen.  Still, we'll see.

I played thru it a few years ago.  It’s not a bad game just a dull one.  It would be hard for me to play it again or recommend it when better options are everywhere.

Dull graphics, dull gameplay, dull story, dull characters 

If this is the gateway drug to rpgs, then it is a fail.  Nothing about any of the dullness is going to make you excited about the genre.  Not when Mario RPG, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy are right there too.

Soundtrack rocks though

So back in the 90s I remembered a friend of mine playing FF6 (3 on the SNES) and thinking it looked awesome. I didn't know/remember it was a numbered entry, all I knew it was called Final Fantasy. So I went to a used game store and saw FF Mystic Quest for like $10. I was so excited, I bought it and ran home. Then I started playing. I was so confused. I knew I was Final Fantasy but didn't realize there were multiple FFs on SNES. I ended up liking it but it wasn't until a few years later I found FF6 and realized that was the game I had remembered. So FFMQ has a certain charm to it, obviously it's braindead easy, but its supposed to be, has a great soundtrack and all in all I don't think it's terrible. I gave it 5/10 because it's not great either. But I enjoy it to a certain extent.