IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

2 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

What about the owner and employees of Applebee's or many other situations where this is causing financial hardship? You guys talk as if there are no implications of mass isolation for a virus that the vast majority would have non-critical symptoms, if any. It's easy to call this the best course of action when you have the luxury to have paid sick time etc., but that's not the case for a lot of people who have very little benefits or own a private business that isn't 'essential'. I do think this is a serious illness but don't act as if shutting everything down for an undermined amount of time is simply people missing out things like sporting events etc.

I'm concerned. This is my industry. My hearts go out to my industry brothers and sisters that are in fine dining. They'll be the ones hit hardest. Im blessed that i essentially work at a take out counter.

Order take out everybody! Every sale helps us!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gamegearguy said:

My nephew is home from school playing his Switch when he should be learning stuff like I did when I was his age.

Is the kid home alone, or are the parents hunkering down with him? If the latter, tell them to stop binge watching Netflix and work on long division with him.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
20 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

This whole event is definitely going to involve a lot of reconsideration of how we choose to value lives of the elderly, versus the health of the economy.

It is definitely an ugly truth that 80+ could have a 100% death rate, and if it was isolated to them, it is probably a significant net benefit, economically.

Way back in this thread, that was the conspiracy theory on why "China created this" in the first place.

Also, at least they seem to be testing this in two week chunks and re-evaluating instead of a blanket two month you-ain't-doing-shit ban.

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Way back in this thread, that was the conspiracy theory on why "China created this" in the first place.

Also, at least they seem to be testing this in two week chunks and re-evaluating instead of a blanket two month you-ain't-doing-shit ban.

That was honestly the first place my brain went back in the beginning.

Of course like most conspiracy theories it starts to fall apart of you think about it critically

43 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Does nobody actually read the news? 😛

This one doesn't appear to harm kids under 10 years old at all, with the 10-19 age group at the same relatively low risk level as 20-29.

60+ is where the stats get ugly, where at 80+, men are looking at a 20%+ chance of death.

Some of us still have to worry about our kids. My three y/o son has been hospitalized and admitted three times, including last month, for asthma induced by getting sick. We’re paranoid parents. We separate him from sick kids as best as possible, take him out of activities during the cold/flu season and have him on inhaler/nebulizer treatments per doctor’s orders. I stockpiled this weekend so that we can avoid all public contact for two weeks for his sake. I read a NY Times article from a mom living in my same reality.

Edited by None
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, None said:

Some of us still have to worry about our kids. My three y/o son has been hospitalized and and admitted three times for asthma, including last month, for asthma induced by getting sick. We’re paranoid parents. We separate him from sick kids as best as possible, take him out of activities during the cold/flu season and have him on inhaler/nebulizer treatments per doctor’s orders. I stockpiled this weekend so that we can avoid all public contact for two weeks for his sake. I read a NY Times article from a mom living in my same reality.

I understand the concern.

But the reassuring number is that the death rate for < 10 y.o. isn't just "low"... it is ZERO.

I think it is extremely unlikely, that globally, no children under 10 y.o. with any of the issues that make it worse for adults have had the virus.

Small reassurance, I know.  But some kind of reassurance, at least.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I'm concerned. This is my industry. My hearts go out to my industry brothers and sisters that are in fine dining. They'll be the ones hit hardest. Im blessed that i essentially work at a take out counter.

Order take out everybody! Every sale helps us!

And Sununu just called it. No dining our or bars in NH.

I am busy praising Jesus right now. I still have income. I need to figure out how i can help my friends though. This hits so close to home.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jonebone said:

Ugh... Fed reduced their rates to zero already!  My gosh, this is way worse than I could have imagined.

I thought the rates were already close to zero anyway?

PS: That guy flipping the table I hope that was just an act...

Edited by Estil

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, in Italy, they pretty much admitted that old people who have the virus are not going to get treatment. They just don't have the capacity.

Here, keeping grandpa alive kind of supersedes your visit to Applebee's.

Use Ubereats or Door Dash. It's what they're there for.

Well, ubereats and door dash could help the problem along.........a carrier carrying more than just your food!!!!

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Does nobody actually read the news? 😛

This one doesn't appear to harm kids under 10 years old at all, with the 10-19 age group at the same relatively low risk level as 20-29.

60+ is where the stats get ugly, where at 80+, men are looking at a 20%+ chance of death.

Children of the corn????   World ruled by 10 y/o's or less...........

PA and NJ have issued their own restrictions and non-essential closings. The Advance Auto I work at out near my college in PA was told we're essential (by corporate) and staying open because we need to supply emergency personnel for their vehicle needs. Mind you in the nearly 10 years Ive worked for Advance on and off across half a dozen stores we've never once provided any parts to those emergency personnel. They have their own contracts to get what they need from specific people/places. 

I asked on the conference call what about for the general public, and was met with "yea of course we're open for them too!" I responded by locking the doors with a sign up saying we're open for emergency personnel only and had the other employees call up the local EMT/Police/Fire company and informed them as such. If my DM has a problem with it he can pound sand and come work here himself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

PA and NJ have issued their own restrictions and non-essential closings. The Advance Auto I work at out near my college in PA was told we're essential (by corporate) and staying open because we need to supply emergency personnel for their vehicle needs. Mind you in the nearly 10 years Ive worked for Advance on and off across half a dozen stores we've never once provided any parts to those emergency personnel. They have their own contracts to get what they need from specific people/places. 

I asked on the conference call what about for the general public, and was met with "yea of course we're open for them too!" I responded by locking the doors with a sign up saying we're open for emergency personnel only and had the other employees call up the local EMT/Police/Fire company and informed them as such. If my DM has a problem with it he can pound sand and come work here himself.

Would you get paid if you were to close down? 

Events Helper · Posted
8 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Emergency personnel tend to buy from vendors, not local stores, at least in my experience......along with factories........ 

5 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Would you get paid if you were to close down? 

Unless PA made it mandatory, no. I'm also not to concerned they will do anything like fire us. There's only five of us that work at the store if they lose/fire any of us they won't have enough staff and they haven't been able to convince other store employees to help cover the store. We all agreed to do this, so it's the way its going.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150