IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

20 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Just got an email that aluminum versions of the pocket are dropping on 7/15 for a whopping $499!

Watch, they will sell out quickly and people will list them on eBay for $899+

Just fodder for scalpers... 🙄

7 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Watch, they will sell out quickly and people will list them on eBay for $899+

Just fodder for scalpers... 🙄

of course Analogue had to throw in they are “highly limited” it’s almost like they like throwing gas on the scalper fire lmao 

• Agree 1

They've gone retro on themselves with their absurdity, the old NES they kicked off with was metal too for an insane price.

What gets me more and more special editions,  yet still years into it, the functionality of the system between promised features and bug crushing seems to be not very interesting to them at the pace those happen.  You'd think they'd care, but maybe they've gotten high on their own fan base and just know people will pay so...whatever.

And I agree, paying more for the same hardware because...colors, metal...nope.

The only reason I have one at all now was I couldn't walk away from a new open box unit for $150 (off of $250 being a Yellow handheld.)  With my gamecube gone for my life, it was about that and a dock to restore my handheld on tv play.

11 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well with all the way they jerked people around on it, then the other issues since didn't the Duo like never sell out?

I guess demand is just down for Analogue products either way. Curious to see how the N64 release goes now that the pocket has lost steam and the Duo I don’t really ever think took off mostly because the games it plays no one in states cares about besides a select few. 

The Pocket kind of cannibalizes the rest of the products they sell as well since you can install whatever core you want for whatever system and use the dock to hook it up to your TV. You no longer need a NT, Super NT, Mega SG, or a Duo. Since N64 emulation is bad the new system will probably sell fine. 

Edited by a3quit4s

Well yeah if you're into using da romz, you're right, the Pocket is a death blow to further operations especially with the dock tied to it.  But if you want to use your actual purchases, that's still a hang up where people should buy.

I wouldn't rade my NT or SG in the slightest, ever, or the hi def kit to my NES or the Ultra in the N64 I've always owned.  But if they weren't hacked, the last of them, I'd have probably bothered, but not under their current environment. 😕  The N64 idea is nice, I just am not a doable customer given what I have, but had I not...I dunno, again, their bad model of business, I'd probably stick to that nice HD kit I was given a couple years back that looks mostly as sharp and doesn't lag the display fortunately.  It's a multi-av out cable so snes to gc works with it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

How is this trolling? You constantly complain about the deck. We get it.

What deck?  You mean the dock... and I used to.  Finally last March they got the thing to mostly work as they had advertised it to do years ago now.  The display sets and saves right, the thing auto detects the controllers finally and correctly to the buttons where they need to be.  Sure it's still not allowing manual mapping which may bug some, and a few other secondary optional features aren't there yet, but it works.  I don't remember if I said it here or not before but I have one, sourced a new open box yellow one for an absurd deal, then found a seller who let me get the dock in the same state at cost.  It works, it's fine, it should have worked right out of the box given their page, but it is what it is.

• 1 month later...

You know they really are milking the colors, but also makes me question why the hell they didn't up front the first go around the block call it as it was really.  It was the Play It Loud series wasn't it basically?  Now you have the GBC lineup of shells.  The only thing missing are the screwball ones and few at that given you have the gold pokemon GBC but not the blue/yellow one which is odd (probably a cost savings I guess for the molds being halved.)

(Edit: This got me thinking as I hit the button, if the pattern holds 2025 you can expect GBA colors and they can throw in something traditional too like DMG style, NES Classic Edition style, etc) and people would lose it over that.)

At this rate the Duo is largely a failure, for now the N64 I guess is reduced to a fart in the wind until they decide to do...something.  So it's very clear despite foolishly killing off the 2 16bit consoles, they only care about and make some pretty large profit off of the repeatedly stocked runs of the Pocket and the dock as the traditional color pairs keep coming back over and over again and they do eventually sell through.  Maybe they'll just keep making the things until they can't sell them anymore at a profit?  That would be nice, it would screw the scalpers as I'm sure you've seen that mess on ebay and elsewhere and that would be a boss move.

I hope they keep working on the dock/pocket firmware combo, it still isn't fulfilling all what they wanted, but it's largely there since March which is great.  I kind of wish they wouldn't take advantage of people for another $40 for a colorway on those devices.  They ought to just flat price the things, cycle the colors, the less popular ones just make smaller runs if it's cost effective, and go with it as it seems to just work best for them running cores to just warez up the place using roms while allowing legitimate usage to be its front facing thing with all bits Gameboy, and more, with adapters.

Edited by Tanooki

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

At this rate the Duo is largely a failure, for now the N64 I guess is reduced to a fart in the wind until they decide to do...something.  So it's very clear despite foolishly killing off the 2 16bit consoles, they only care about and make some pretty large profit off of the repeatedly stocked runs of the Pocket and the dock as the traditional color pairs keep coming back over and over again and they do eventually sell through.  Maybe they'll just keep making the things until they can't sell them anymore at a profit?  That would be nice, it would screw the scalpers as I'm sure you've seen that mess on ebay and elsewhere and that would be a boss move.

Is the Duo a failure? Honestly, I think it's fab. Question is can you use the Everdrive with it? I've heard people say no, and others say yes, so I don't know...

Yeah, they're definitely milking the Pocket, but can't really blame them. There's clearly demand, they sold out of their $500 models. Hopefully they keep it going. I suppose sooner or later they will release a N64 system. I wonder if they're also looking into releasing a PS1,PS2,PS3 system? I imagine a system that can play PS1-PS3 games would sell quickly!

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Is the Duo a failure? Honestly, I think it's fab. Question is can you use the Everdrive with it? I've heard people say no, and others say yes, so I don't know...

Yeah, they're definitely milking the Pocket, but can't really blame them. There's clearly demand, they sold out of their $500 models. Hopefully they keep it going. I suppose sooner or later they will release a N64 system. I wonder if they're also looking into releasing a PS1,PS2,PS3 system? I imagine a system that can play PS1-PS3 games would sell quickly!

The Duo can be fab as a device but still a failure as a product in the sales sense. If it's been available for sale and not gone out of stock, compared to their previous fare that's a massive failure. 

16 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The Duo can be fab as a device but still a failure as a product in the sales sense. If it's been available for sale and not gone out of stock, compared to their previous fare that's a massive failure. 

I kind of saw the release of the Pocket as Analogue flipping from supporting people who owned physical media to starting to cater to people who favored emulation as the Pocket is basically an all in one emulation device you can play on the go or on your TV via the dock. I wonder if the emulation crowd mainly just uses PC and couldn’t care less about being portable. Could just also be that Analogue stocked up hard on these so they don’t sell out. Plus they keep releasing more colors so they gotta be moving product. Either way I hope they don’t abandon the 3D because it would be really cool to replace another aging device with a newer HDMI native product. My Mini NT Noir, Super NT, Mega SG, and Duo are hands down the best way to play all the physical media I have. Even upscaling to 1080p with RetroTink 5x pro, the analogue products are better. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Just wondering if anyone with a Duo has gotten the Everdrive to work on it? If so, please let me know how 🙂

Pure speculation but I think I remember people saying they had to take it apart or something to get it fit maybe?

edit: that must have been something else, people that have the turbo everdrive pro says it works fine

edit 2: No I was right stoneagegamer has a warning about having to remove the shell to get it to work! https://stoneagegamer.com/turbo-everdrive-pro-white.html

Edited by a3quit4s

57 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Just wondering if anyone with a Duo has gotten the Everdrive to work on it? If so, please let me know how 🙂

Mine does not, but I have the earliest version of the Turbo Everdrive.  My understanding is that later/newer versions work.  You would need to research further to see which versions are compatible.  

I decided that it didn't matter to me since I planned to jail break it once that became available.  Although, now that it is available, I've bene lazy and haven't bothered with it yet.  

On 9/11/2024 at 7:34 PM, Gloves said:

@avatar! ^This.  That's why I said failure.  Unlike past product, they can't sell these things through.  They burned a lot of good will with this one, then threw gasoline on that fire having the everdrives not even fit without removing or modding the consoles faceplate, and on top of that yet again some just won't work at all depending which revision of the hardware it is.  They ran off a lot of possible buyers on that, myself included as I held out for a time wondering if the everdrive I held onto for a time would work, it didn't, and I didn't buy it and never will now.