IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

6 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I just read an article where Biden was starting to "take a harder stance" on China...we need to ask ourselves why the China issue has become part of the election agenda this year. But he's just paying lip service, he wouldn't stand up to them.

I bet it he would give them lip service and a hard stance. That's one thing we can expect from handsy uncle joe.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Californication said:

I bet it he would give them lip service and a hard stance. That's one thing we can expect from handsy uncle joe.

Nope, not happening from him. He already grabbed the lube and is ready to bend over to the WHO

Edited by fcgamer

12 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

While it may be unrealistic to expect unlawful killings to be brought down to zero -- what CAN be done is to hold police accountable for 100% of unlawful killings and break up the culture of closing ranks around bad cops.

Better and reliable enforcement mechanisms need to exist for bad cops.

I agree that is an issue. But the thing with in-group loyalty is that it happens despite what has been socially or juridically deemed acceptable so it's hard to root out, if possible at all. 

3 hours ago, cartman said:

I agree that is an issue. But the thing with in-group loyalty is that it happens despite what has been socially or juridically deemed acceptable so it's hard to root out, if possible at all. 

It isn't just "in-group loyalty" between cops that is the problem.  There are major issues with city and state attorney willingness to bring charges, to where there is a systemic problem that fundamentally fails to hold police accountable.

It all compounds on itself, combined with a continual erosion of public trust.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

It isn't just "in-group loyalty" between cops that is the problem.  There are major issues with city and state attorney willingness to bring charges, to where there is a systemic problem that fundamentally fails to hold police accountable.

It all compounds on itself, combined with a continual erosion of public trust.

It's hard to prove a cop didn't feel like their life was in immediate danger at the time of the incident. That's why it's so hard to "hold police accountable". Should the cops involved in George Floyd's death be held accountable? Absolutely. Should the cops involved in Rayshard Brooks' death be held accountable? Not at all since they did nothing wrong. They're 2 completely different cases but the public villainizes the cops in both cases. In one case you have cops kneeling on an already detained guy's neck for a long time. Excessive force and they didn't let up when he said he couldn't breathe. They need to be held accountable. In the other case, you have a dude who punched cops, stole a cops taser, and then pointed that taser at cops. Cops justifiably used lethal force because their life was in immediate danger. You don't have 5 seconds to see what's going to happen once that guy is pointing a taser at you. All it takes is 5 seconds for him to now go grab that downed officer's gun and now you have a very serious problem. 

16 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Check-in time with our fearless leader.  Any great messages for the masses?  Hope for the pandemic or looming shutdown(s)?  Game plan for ANYTHING?

Screenshot_20200721-095233.png

...of course not 

Lol what other country is he comparing the U.S to for COVID-19?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

This doesn't seem to have gone over well.

Once upon a time "taking a knee" in baseball was done for the team meeting right before or right after the game...it was also done in the South Park episode Butters' Bottom Bitch.  I do have a question just out of curiosity...what's the protocol for if let's say you're in another country at a sporting event or whatever, and their anthem is playing, what do you do?  Just stand silently and respectively seeing as how it wouldn't make sense to salute a country you are not under allegiance to?  I guess the same idea would apply if you went to school in another country and they were doing their pledge of allegiance.  Or for those like Jehovah's Witnesses who don't believe in doing anything like that at all?  Is it okay for them to at least stand respectfully w/o saluting or do they have to remain sitting for it to "count"?

Edited by Estil

2 minutes ago, Estil said:

Once upon a time "taking a knee" in baseball was done for the team meeting right before or right after the game...it was also done in the South Park episode Butters' Bottom Bitch.  I do have a question just out of curiosity...what's the protocol for if let's say you're in another country at a sporting event or whatever, and their anthem is playing, what do you do?  Just stand silently and respectively seeing as how it wouldn't make sense to salute a country you are not under allegiance to?

Visiting teams stand for the Canadian national anthem when they play the Toronto Blue Jays which I'm guessing is out of respect.

6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Visiting teams stand for the Canadian national anthem when they play the Toronto Blue Jays which I'm guessing is out of respect.

That would make sense, I guess by "salute" you mean have your hat over your heart...so okay I see what you mean...because "not saluting" would mean standing with your hat still on and that's definitely not done unless you're a lady.

1 minute ago, Estil said:

That would make sense, I guess by "salute" you mean have your hat over your heart...so okay I see what you mean...because "not saluting" would mean standing with your hat still on and that's definitely not done unless you're a lady.

I've been to sporting events in other countries and I stood for their national anthem. I also didn't have any reason to kneel because they treated me poorly. I wasn't wearing a hat, but I would have taken it off.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've been to sporting events in other countries and I stood for their national anthem. I also didn't have any reason to kneel because they treated me poorly. I wasn't wearing a hat, but I would have taken it off.

That might have been what threw me off.  Because I don't wear hats but obviously baseball players do.  I was mainly asking about the what if you're in another country that's playing their anthem (besides Canada)...I mean I wouldn't feel right saluting allegiance to a country I don't belong to.

1 minute ago, Estil said:

That might have been what threw me off.  Because I don't wear hats but obviously baseball players do.  I was mainly asking about the what if you're in another country that's playing their anthem (besides Canada)...I mean I wouldn't feel right saluting allegiance to a country I don't belong to.

As far as I can tell, the other players just stand respectfully. 

22 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

No they aren't. Do research. They are protesting systemic racism. Which is a GIANT PROBLEM.

You guys don't get it. You don't and you never will because you don't see systemic racism as a huge issue, and no amount of patterns, facts, evidence, etc, show to you will change that. It's hopeless.

I've yet to see compelling statistics/evidence that point to systemic racism. All I keep seeing are people pointing to disparities in crime, poverty, education, wealth, etc. and claiming systemic racism without acknowledging the many other factors that result in disparities. If police were magically defunded and it resulted in no unarmed black people being unjustly killed next year, there would still be the same disparities in every bucket. So what's the plan to dismantle the other "systemically racist" issues I wonder? Remove some more logos? More statues? Rename some more sports teams? 

Lastly, BLM started by protesting police brutality and instead of focusing on police brutality as a whole, they chose to make it about race, even when the example killings were not proven to be driven by racism (especially "systemic"), thus increasing the unnecessary racial divide. Factor in their mission statement and claims of being Marxists, you start to understand why a lot of people are not in favor of the movement itself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Estil said:

You just stand politely.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Estil said:

In the NHL (where players are from all kinds of other places) they just stand respectfully.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

I've yet to see compelling statistics/evidence that point to systemic racism. All I keep seeing are people pointing to disparities in crime, poverty, education, wealth, etc. and claiming systemic racism without acknowledging the many other factors that result in disparities. If police were magically defunded and it resulted in no unarmed black people being unjustly killed next year, there would still be the same disparities in every bucket. So what's the plan to dismantle the other "systemically racist" issues I wonder? Remove some more logos? More statues? Rename some more sports teams? 

Lastly, BLM started by protesting police brutality and instead of focusing on police brutality as a whole, they chose to make it about race, even when the example killings were not proven to be driven by racism (especially "systemic"), thus increasing the unnecessary racial divide. Factor in their mission statement and claims of being Marxists, you start to understand why a lot of people are not in favor of the movement itself.

The BLM movement is a sham.