IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

2 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Freedom of Speech comes with consequences. What if someone wants to put up a statue of Osama bin Laden in their front yard? They should be allowed to do so? And no one should have issue with it? Come on.

In their own front yard?  yes, they should absolutely be allowed to do so, just like the tasteless idiots with confederate flags.

Given a place in the public square? That is a totally different issue.

2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

In their own front yard?  yes, they should absolutely be allowed to do so, just like the tasteless idiots with confederate flags.

Given a place in the public square? That is a totally different issue.

I've got someone down the street from me with a Confederate flag in their yard. They have the freedom to put it there and everyone with common sense has the freedom to think they are idiots, so it balances out nicely.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Didn't realize the founders toppled British rule from the ballot box.  Thanks for the history lesson.

That's just the point, they didn't really have one...you know taxation without representation?  Their mother country being about 3000 miles away and each way needing two months by ship?  In fact in terms of the whole 21 year old white male property owners only being allowed to vote during the first several decades of our country's history...it may be unconscionable by today's standards but back then for suffrage to even go that far was a fairly new revolutionary concept.  Not to mention only the House was decided by direct election at the time.

Edited by Estil

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've got someone down the street from me with a Confederate flag in their yard. They have the freedom to put it there and everyone with common sense has the freedom to think they are idiots, so it balances out nicely.

I hope you're not saying the cast of the Dukes of Hazzard, Alabama (the band, not the state) and Hank Williams, Jr are idiots. 😞   Because none of them had ever had a racist bone in their bodies.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

Just now, Estil said:

I hope you're not saying the cast of the Dukes of Hazzard, Alabama (the band, not the state) and Hank Williams, Jr are idiots. 😞   Because none of them had ever had a racist bone in their bodies.

No, I'm talking about people at the end of my street in 2020 with one on the side of their house. I have no idea if they are racist or not, but it doesn't paint them in the best light.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

No, I'm talking about people at the end of my street in 2020 with one on the side of their house. I have no idea if they are racist or not, but it doesn't paint them in the best light.

Back then it was just figured they were showing pride in being from the South and that was that.  No one back then seriously questioned if someone was a racist just from having/displaying the flag in of itself (which for the record wasn't even the real Confederate national flag; look it up).  Nowadays you're pretty much presumed racist if you do.

Edited by Estil

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Back then it was just figured they were showing pride in being from the South and that was that.  No one back then seriously questioned if someone was a racist just from having/displaying the flag in of itself.  Nowadays you're pretty much presumed racist if you do.

You forgot Lynyrd Skynyrd by the way. I'm literally across the river from Kentucky. I'm aware that some people just think of it as a symbol of southern pride, but obviously it means a lot more than that to other people, so if you choose to display that symbol you are leaving it up to interpretation as to what you mean.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

You lot have been abusing those people since the start.  It’s basically equivalent to our shitty treatment of American Indians.  Pleading ignorance obviously is not a defense for your country’s issues.  What a turd ass country you live in.

You do know that some of those Indians/tribes sided with the Confederacy and some even owned slaves right?  Yet another example of why history can't be divided up neatly into good guy groups and bad guy groups as much as some wish/want it.

Who do you mean by "you lot" and "those people" exactly?

Edited by Estil

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

You forgot Lynyrd Skynyrd by the way. I'm literally across the river from Kentucky. I'm aware that some people just think of it as a symbol of southern pride, but obviously it means a lot more than that to other people, so if you choose to display that symbol you are leaving it up to interpretation as to what you mean.

I wasn't sure if they ever really used the flag; after all contrary to popular belief the band was not singing "In Birmingham they loved their gov'ner" in support of said governor.

5 minutes ago, Estil said:

I wasn't sure if they ever really used the flag; after all contrary to popular belief the band was not singing "In Birmingham they loved their gov'ner" in support of said governor.

They have used it as a backdrop at concerts and on t-shirts, so yeah they used it.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

23 minutes ago, Estil said:

That's just the point, they didn't really have one...you know taxation without representation?  Their mother country being about 3000 miles away and each way needing two months by ship?  In fact in terms of the whole 21 year old white male property owners only being allowed to vote during the first several decades of our country's history...it may be unconscionable by today's standards but back then for suffrage to even go that far was a fairly new revolutionary concept.  Not to mention only the House was decided by direct election at the time.

I was being facetious, and you're being obtuse.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Estil said:

Back then it was just figured they were showing pride in being from the South and that was that.  No one back then seriously questioned if someone was a racist just from having/displaying the flag in of itself (which for the record wasn't even the real Confederate national flag; look it up).  Nowadays you're pretty much presumed racist if you do.

The "confederate flag" (in quotes, because you're right, it isn't the actual flag of the confederacy) has been a symbol of casual racism for a LONG time.

The history of how it wormed its way onto various state flags is pretty clear what its intentions are and have always been.  Don't kid yourself.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Estil said:

I could also wear a swastika and claim that it was originally meant as a symbol of prosperity, but I'm betting 99.99% of people wouldn't see it that way. The meaning of symbols evolve just like words, so it might be a good idea to keep up with the current interpretation.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I could also wear a swastika and claim that it was originally meant as a symbol of prosperity, but I'm betting 99.99% of people wouldn't see it that way. The meaning of symbols evolve just like words, so it might be a good idea to keep up with the current interpretation.

Except, bear in mind, there was essentially never an actual positive connotation to the popularized confederate flag that isn't revisionist in nature.

Every instance of it appearing as part of a state flag is attributable to pushback against civil rights.

There is an immense amount of revisionism tied up in any usage of that flag and what it supposedly ever symbolized. 

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 2

Just now, arch_8ngel said:

Except, bear in mind, there was NEVER an actual positive connotation to the popularized confederate flag.

Every instance of it appearing as part of a state flag is attributable to pushback against civil rights.

There is an immense amount of revisionism tied up in any usage of that flag and what it supposedly ever symbolized. 

I agree. I think the people that use it as a symbol of "southern pride" are just being dense, but there's a lot of that going around lately.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

You lot have been abusing those people since the start.  It’s basically equivalent to our shitty treatment of American Indians.  Pleading ignorance obviously is not a defense for your country’s issues.  What a turd ass country you live in.

I'm not "pleading" anything i just don't know much about it. And i wasn't talking about Americas historical abuse but the current SJW shit running rampant where people are effectively silenced and risk losing their career at any time over saying the wrong thing. Where one side is automatically "good" so even questioning the factual validity of their claims gets you branded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Estil said:

You do know that some of those Indians/tribes sided with the Confederacy and some even owned slaves right?  Yet another example of why history can't be divided up neatly into good guy groups and bad guy groups as much as some wish/want it.

Who do you mean by "you lot" and "those people" exactly?

I mean the Swedes have been abusing the Sami.  I didn’t think that that was that veiled.

5 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

The "confederate flag" (in quotes, because you're right, it isn't the actual flag of the confederacy) has been a symbol of casual racism for a LONG time.

The history of how it wormed its way onto various state flags is pretty clear what its intentions are and have always been.  Don't kid yourself.

You mean like how a certain Arkansas governor signed into law in 1987 confirming that one of the stars on the AR flag is indeed to commemorate the Confederacy?  And there is no such thing as casual racism or dog whistling or whistling Dixie or whatever.  Dude, either you're a racist or you're not.

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yeah as if everything else he did wasn't bad enough he was also a plagiarist!  Just take a symbol that was a nice prosperity sort of symbol (which was used for Zelda's First Quest Dungeon 3 map), flip it backwards, stand it on its end and call it a day.  The Klan wasn't any better in that regard...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capirote

2 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yeah as if everything else he did wasn't bad enough he was also a plagiarist!  Just take a symbol that was a nice prosperity sort of symbol (which was used for Zelda's First Quest Dungeon 3 map), flip it backwards, stand it on its end and call it a day.  The Klan wasn't any better in that regard...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capirote

Watch out for that Adolf Hitler, he's a bad egg!

5 hours ago, cartman said:

I'm not "pleading" anything i just don't know much about it. And i wasn't talking about Americas historical abuse but the current SJW shit running rampant where people are effectively silenced and risk losing their career at any time over saying the wrong thing. Where one side is automatically "good" so even questioning the factual validity of their claims gets you branded.

Like I've tried to warn over and over and over again, what if one day it's your speech and your values and your beliefs that get effectively silenced and cause your career to get lost over saying the wrong thing, or being branded as being the bad guys or the bad values?