IGNORED

Ultracore

cartman

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, cartman said:

What didn't you like?

The controls played a huge part in my frustration, as well as enemy placement. Way over complicated and difficult to manage, hitting enemies was a huge chore. Other games with simpler controls (Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Vectorman, Earthworm Jim) are all far more fun to play. It's hard to even give the game a real chance when the controls are so pointlessly overdone compared to the other games in the same genre that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The controls played a huge part in my frustration, as well as enemy placement. Way over complicated and difficult to manage, hitting enemies was a huge chore. Other games with simpler controls (Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Vectorman, Earthworm Jim) are all far more fun to play. It's hard to even give the game a real chance when the controls are so pointlessly overdone compared to the other games in the same genre that.

I see. To me it seems like it would be simple so i'm surprised this is an issue.

Also the game doesn't seem to resemble anything you mentioned. I thought it would when i saw some pics but when i watch a video it's more of a maze action game rather than linear Run n' Gun. I tend to always get annoyed when games come to a maze level so perhaps this isn't for me after all.

Administrator · Posted
46 minutes ago, cartman said:

I see. To me it seems like it would be simple so i'm surprised this is an issue.

Also the game doesn't seem to resemble anything you mentioned. I thought it would when i saw some pics but when i watch a video it's more of a maze action game rather than linear Run n' Gun. I tend to always get annoyed when games come to a maze level so perhaps this isn't for me after all.

The style of action is similar to the ones I listed, but the map is certainly more Metroid, less linear. I was speaking just to the action part. 

You would think the controls might be simple by looking at gameplay but getting it in your hands it quickly becomes frustrating. It LOOKED like a game I'd enjoy, but then I played it. 

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The style of action is similar to the ones I listed, but the map is certainly more Metroid, less linear. I was speaking just to the action part. 

You would think the controls might be simple by looking at gameplay but getting it in your hands it quickly becomes frustrating. It LOOKED like a game I'd enjoy, but then I played it. 

I would argue that that very aspect separates it from those games into an experience different enough to categorize it as something else, but ok.

I would think you run with the D-pad shoot with one button and jump with another. That would be the reasonable thing to be.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, cartman said:

I would argue that that very aspect separates it from those games into an experience different enough to categorize it as something else, but ok.

I would think you run with the D-pad shoot with one button and jump with another. That would be the reasonable thing to be.

It's definitely something else, but I'm giving you games with similar styles of action as reference for my pain points. 

Even if we compare it directly to Metroid, the fact remains that the controls are more complicated. The base is as you say, yes, but the game gives you the ability to shoot in basiclly any direction. How other similar games handle it is more simple, you can shoot forward, diagonally up and down, and straight up and down. Ultracore has you able to shoot anywhere in between. 

Problem being that it's not a simple matter to move from say, shooting forward to shooting diagonally up towards an enemy, and keep hitting that enemy. You have to wiggle your gun cuz enemies are never positioned such that you can shoot a constant stream at them. Enemies mostly don't die in one hit either, so it's an annoying cat and mouse of trying to get your bullets to go where you want them. 

16 hours ago, Gloves said:

It's definitely something else, but I'm giving you games with similar styles of action as reference for my pain points. 

Even if we compare it directly to Metroid, the fact remains that the controls are more complicated. The base is as you say, yes, but the game gives you the ability to shoot in basiclly any direction. How other similar games handle it is more simple, you can shoot forward, diagonally up and down, and straight up and down. Ultracore has you able to shoot anywhere in between. 

Problem being that it's not a simple matter to move from say, shooting forward to shooting diagonally up towards an enemy, and keep hitting that enemy. You have to wiggle your gun cuz enemies are never positioned such that you can shoot a constant stream at them. Enemies mostly don't die in one hit either, so it's an annoying cat and mouse of trying to get your bullets to go where you want them. 

Ok i understand better now. Like you say games that have a diagonal shot usually have one angle, or like the heavy machine gun in Metal Slug that sprays in a 90o angle and you keep pressing up and down on the D-pad. But whiggling for very specific and unconventional angles no i haven't been faced with that in games. It seems like it would fill no purpose even if it did get implemented better.

I liked it, but I had to get a bootleg copy off ebay since I didn't want to buy a Mega SG for it.  I think some official copies were made, but those seem to be long gone now.  I wish people would stop trying to make these limited release games the next OMG RARE!!! item and just put a few hundred up on Amazon from time to time.

edit: Was there a digital release?

Edited by CMR

On 4/9/2020 at 6:46 AM, Gloves said:

My sentiments exactly. Also, has anybody figured out how the button configuration from stationary autofire to run and gun is done? I usually do it by pure luck.

Edited by bALEXc