IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

5 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Mario has no real coherent lore. The characters are just stage props and are flexible in their roles. There is no continuity.

Sega Genesis sound sucks.

But it's got almost double the horsepower (CPU speed) though!  I mean there's no way that fat plumber can keep up with a speedy hedgehog thanks to BLAST PROCESSING!!! 😄 

2 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

PS2 Spyhunter is the best game of the franchise.

Yeah he slipped writing that, but I definitely agree with you.  I recall when it was being developed at Midway at the time I was there.  I never was on the project, but despite the hours I put in, that game is damn good and I'd grab a controller for some fun with it on the side.  Shame the sequels and the GBA version just don't match up at all, GBA was ok, but sequels were trash.

Edited by Tanooki

7 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Mario has no real coherent lore. The characters are just stage props and are flexible in their roles. There is no continuity.

Sega Genesis sound sucks.

Have you heard streets of rage music? Some of the best techno sounds ever on a 16-bit!

37 minutes ago, GPX said:

Have you heard streets of rage music? Some of the best techno sounds ever on a 16-bit!

I’ve heard someone say that a lot of negative opinions of Genesis sound likely come from either those crappy plug n’ plays or watching Genesis footage on YouTube where the games were likely emulated, since that sound chip is so notoriously difficult to recreate.

Okay, people will say this isn’t an unpopular opinion since it was a commercial failure but you can’t go on any gaming forum and say “The Wii U is bad/I didn’t like the Wii U” without someone being like “Well aCtUaLlY...”

Yes, the Wii U had good games. That doesn’t exclude it from being criticized as a console. The Virtual Boy has good games. I can’t confidently say the Tiger R-Zone has any good games, but the point is most bad consoles have a good game or two.

I know Reddit isn’t exactly the bastion for nuanced discussion, but I got slaughtered with downvotes for saying I didn’t personally feel as though the Wii U delivered. And like I said, there’s always one person who thinks they’re doing Nintendo a service and defending the Wii U everywhere it’s brought up. So that’s why I’m putting it in this thread.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Okay, people will say this isn’t an unpopular opinion since it was a commercial failure but you can’t go on any gaming forum and say “The Wii U is bad/I didn’t like the Wii U” without someone being like “Well aCtUaLlY...”

Yes, the Wii U had good games. That doesn’t exclude it from being criticized as a console. The Virtual Boy has good games. I can’t confidently say the Tiger R-Zone has any good games, but the point is most bad consoles have a good game or two.

I know Reddit isn’t exactly the bastion for nuanced discussion, but I got slaughtered with downvotes for saying I didn’t personally feel as though the Wii U delivered. And like I said, there’s always one person who thinks they’re doing Nintendo a service and defending the Wii U everywhere it’s brought up. So that’s why I’m putting it in this thread.

It's hard to defend the console when Nintendo itself gave up on it. The thing that got me though was all the Switch love when it first came out when it was essentially a Wii U without a tether but all the same games for full price. I understand people's hate for the Wii U though, especially what was originally promised and pitched from Nintendo. Even as a Wii U fan it had a rough year or two before it had a solid library of decent 1st party games and then was more or less extinguished just as fast.

Comparing the Wii U to Virtual Boy is a stretch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Strangest said:

I'm certainly glad I got my Wii U...you guys might know that.  It's not the console that was the problem, it was that funny college name and especially those stupid commercials with the kids...as if we didn't need more reinforcing of that stereotype about Nintendo 😞 

And this may be a stretch but I'm wondering, considering how the Wii U's tablet controller felt a bit heavy for me (so I use the Pro Controller when possible)...I wonder if Nintendo half hearted the Wii U on purpose as the Switch is basically the same idea...except the Switch tablet controller setup is much lighter than the Wii U's tablet controller.  Maybe they wanted the Wii U to be like the Switch all along but it was too early tech wise to get the tablet controller shrunk down to the size of what the Switch's ended up being...if you guys get what I'm trying to say.

As for the Switch like I said before, I'm holding out for the Pro version, which we all know is coming at some point...

5 hours ago, Estil said:

I'm certainly glad I got my Wii U...you guys might know that.  It's not the console that was the problem, it was that funny college name and especially those stupid commercials with the kids...as if we didn't need more reinforcing of that stereotype about Nintendo 😞 

And this may be a stretch but I'm wondering, considering how the Wii U's tablet controller felt a bit heavy for me (so I use the Pro Controller when possible)...I wonder if Nintendo half hearted the Wii U on purpose as the Switch is basically the same idea...except the Switch tablet controller setup is much lighter than the Wii U's tablet controller.  Maybe they wanted the Wii U to be like the Switch all along but it was too early tech wise to get the tablet controller shrunk down to the size of what the Switch's ended up being...if you guys get what I'm trying to say.

As for the Switch like I said before, I'm holding out for the Pro version, which we all know is coming at some point...

I really honestly tried to like the system. But after awhile I conceded that it wasn’t what I was hoping it would be. The first party titles were great, but no console can survive on first party titles alone, not even a Nintendo console.

Eventually it just became a Mario Maker machine in our college apartment.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:08 AM, BriGuy82 said:

That game was unplayable for me when I was a kid. I hated nes Rambo, and that game was like Zelda Rambo to me. 

If Rambo was your first experience with that engine, I can’t blame you. That game would ruin anybody’s lunch.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:55 AM, guitarzombie said:

I do respect it influenced tons of games I love, including Doom. 

How so? I don’t think I’ve heard this before.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:16 AM, guitarzombie said:

When I meant did they tell you, I meant in the game.  As you bought it, can you finish it with just the manual and game.

Besides the manual, it included a partial map of the overworld, with some tips and the rest of the full map being blank squares that you were encouraged to fill in. On the back were maps of the first two labyrinths. Speculation, but yes I believe people could have finished the game with only what came in the box.

3 hours ago, The Strangest said:

I really honestly tried to like the system. But after awhile I conceded that it wasn’t what I was hoping it would be. The first party titles were great, but no console can survive on first party titles alone, not even a Nintendo console.

Eventually it just became a Mario Maker machine in our college apartment.

What was wrong with the other Mario games? 😞  And the remakes of both GC Zeldas?  Don't those count for anything? 😞

1 hour ago, Link said:

Besides the manual, it included a partial map of the overworld, with some tips and the rest of the full map being blank squares that you were encouraged to fill in. On the back were maps of the first two labyrinths. Speculation, but yes I believe people could have finished the game with only what came in the box.

Like the Metroid manual encouraged in its manual, games in those days if it was the kind that needed a map you were expected to draw/make one as you go along.

23 minutes ago, Estil said:

What was wrong with the other Mario games? 😞  And the remakes of both GC Zeldas?  Don't those count for anything? 😞

Nothing, in fact I hope they release 3D World to the Switch. But Mario Maker was more or less “endless.”

8 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Nothing, in fact I hope they release 3D World to the Switch. But Mario Maker was more or less “endless.”

You can't count on all the blue chip Wii U games being ported to the Switch...so you need to keep your Wii U around regardless.