IGNORED

Why didn’t we get a Gummi Bears video game?

Given their superpower was jumping around, you'd think it would be a no-brainer.

3 hours ago, Foochie776 said:

I don’t think it ever got the traction the other shows did. I enjoy the cartoon a whole lot but still feel it’s kind of second tier but the same can be said about Tale Spin in my eyes. 

I dunno, Biker Mice from Mars, SWAT Kats, and Pirates of Dark Water got releases. You'd think Gummi Bears would be higher visibility than them.

Edited by Tulpa

16 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Given their superpower was jumping around, you'd think it would be a no-brainer.

I dunno, Biker Mice from Mars, SWAT Kats, and Pirates of Dark Water got releases. You'd think Gummi Bears would be higher visibility than them.

Yeah you’re not wrong I suppose. Swat Katz kicked ass though. 

1 hour ago, Foochie776 said:

I don’t think it ever got the traction the other shows did. I enjoy the cartoon a whole lot but still feel it’s kind of second tier but the same can be said about Tale Spin in my eyes. 

The show had 6 seasons, at least one round of Happy Meal toys... it had plenty of traction

• Like 2

Gummi Bears is older than all of those other shows /movies, having started in ‘85. The Nintendo didn’t yet have a big foothold in America. So maybe by the time it did, they were not interested in further developing it that way.

Wikipedia says it was “Disney's first major serialized animated television series” and “many of the subsequently-created shows exceeded Gummi Bears in budget and length”. 

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Or New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh?  That theme woulda been 8-bit gold!

Where’s the action in Winnie the Pooh? I can only see it as a boring kiddie game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Link said:

Gummi Bears is older than all of those other shows /movies, having started in ‘85. The Nintendo didn’t yet have a big foothold in America. So maybe by the time it did, they were not interested in further developing it that way.

Nintendo published Barker Bill's Trick Shooting, featuring a cartoon character that hadn't been seen since the 50s. Activision published a Thunderbirds game, a 60s marionette based TV show. I remember it playing in syndication in the 80s, but it was by no means a playground conversation starter. THQ produced a number of games based on second-tier TV shows.

I mean, Gummi Bears was still on the air during the critical 1988-1990 NES hey-day. Just seems a little strange that a number of shows got games and this didn't.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Link said:

Wikipedia says it was “Disney's first major serialized animated television series” and “many of the subsequently-created shows exceeded Gummi Bears in budget and length”. 

Where’s the action in Winnie the Pooh? I can only see it as a boring kiddie game. 

Dodging honey bees, trying not to get loaded full of birdshot by rabbit as he defends his garden, the nightmarish heffalumps and woozels level,  the final boss fight against the sexual predator that is stalking Christopher Robin, etc.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Link said:

Actually the 90s show was a lot darker and had some pretty scary imagery for a kid's show.

580374-heart-of-darkness-windows-front-c

A cinematic platformer with pooh and his forest friends trying to escape nightmare monsters would have fit perfectly

48 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Nintendo published Barker Bill's Trick Shooting, featuring a cartoon character that hadn't been seen since the 50s. Activision published a Thunderbirds game, a 60s marionette based TV show. I remember it playing in syndication in the 80s, but it was by no means a playground conversation starter. THQ produced a number of games based on second-tier TV shows.

I mean, Gummi Bears was still on the air during the critical 1988-1990 NES hey-day. Just seems a little strange that a number of shows got games and this didn't.

I’m only speculating. Who can say why things do not get made? I haven’t seen any other serious/ plausible ideas, except for what Foochie said. We can think now that it would be cool, but at the time simply nobody (at Disney/Capcom) had the notion or interest. If a prototype or documentation were to surface it would be a different ball game, but absent that I’m going with the simplest explanation.

I wish there was a He-Man Nintendo game, too. That would (ahem, could) be awesome. Didn’t happen, despite the big budget movie in ‘87.

44 minutes ago, Link said:

I’m only speculating. Who can say why things do not get made? I haven’t seen any other serious/ plausible ideas, except for what Foochie said. We can think now that it would be cool, but at the time simply nobody (at Disney/Capcom) had the notion or interest. If a prototype or documentation were to surface it would be a different ball game, but absent that I’m going with the simplest explanation.

Definitely there can be other explanations, but I don't see time between source material and NES proliferation as being a factor. I mean, how the hell did the Blues Brothers get an NES game?

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

The show had 6 seasons, at least one round of Happy Meal toys... it had plenty of traction

I don’t think it had happy meal toys, I’m thinking you mean the Kellogg’s cereal toys they came out with? 

I didn’t realize it had that many seasons, maybe I’m just too young to have been the prime age